Omaha, Nebraska is a bustling city with a plethora of exciting activities and attractions to offer visitors. From family-friendly activities to outdoor adventures and cultural experiences, Omaha has something for everyone to enjoy. By exploring the city, you can discover its hidden gems and vibrant charm.
Some of the fun things to do in Omaha include:
- Explore the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Known for its world-class exhibits, this zoo offers a wide array of animals and interactive experiences for visitors of all ages.
- Visit the Old Market District: This historic district is filled with unique shops, restaurants, and galleries, making it the perfect place to explore and enjoy the local culture.
- Discover Art at the Joslyn Art Museum: This museum showcases a diverse collection of artwork, ranging from ancient to contemporary pieces, and often hosts special exhibitions.
- Enjoy a Stroll in the Lauritzen Gardens: These botanical gardens feature beautifully landscaped grounds, including a rose garden, Victorian garden, and an arboretum.
- Take a Trip to the Durham Museum: Housed in a stunning Art Deco building, this museum offers fascinating exhibits on the history of Omaha and the surrounding region.
- Experience the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge: This unique bridge spans across the Missouri River and provides stunning views of Omaha’s skyline.
- Watch a Game at the TD Ameritrade Park: This stadium is home to the College World Series and hosts various sporting events throughout the year.
- Learn at the Omaha Children’s Museum: Designed for children of all ages, this interactive museum offers hands-on exhibits and educational programs.
- Visit the Heartland of America Park: This beautiful park features a lake, fountain, and walking trails, providing a tranquil escape in the heart of the city.
- Explore the Joslyn Castle: This historic mansion showcases stunning architecture and offers guided tours, providing a glimpse into Omaha’s rich history.
In addition to these attractions, Omaha offers plenty of family-friendly activities, outdoor adventures, historical sites, and a vibrant dining scene. The city also hosts annual festivals and events that showcase its culture and community spirit. By exploring Omaha, you are sure to uncover its hidden gems and create lasting memories.
Explore the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
The Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium in Omaha, Nebraska is a must-visit attraction for animal lovers. As you explore the zoo, be sure to incorporate the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium into your itinerary. You will encounter a wide variety of animals from around the world. From elephants to penguins to lions, there is something for everyone to enjoy. The aquarium is equally impressive, showcasing beautiful marine life and interactive exhibits.
One interesting historical fact about the Henry Doorly Zoo is that it was originally known as the Riverview Park Zoo when it first opened in 1894. Over the years, it has grown and expanded to become one of the top zoos in the United States. Today, it is recognized for its conservation efforts and commitment to education.
So, if you’re looking for a fun and educational experience, don’t forget to explore the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium during your visit to Omaha. You won’t be disappointed by the incredible animals and stunning exhibits that await you.
Visit the Omaha’s Old Market District
When visiting Omaha, Nebraska, be sure to visit the vibrant Omaha’s Old Market District. Here are some highlights to visit in this lively area:
- Restaurants: Indulge in a variety of culinary experiences at the numerous restaurants scattered throughout the district. Try the delicious steak at The Drover or enjoy authentic Mexican cuisine at Mula Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria.
- Unique shops: Discover one-of-a-kind boutiques and shops offering an array of local goods. From handmade crafts to vintage clothing, you’ll find something special to take home as a souvenir.
- Art galleries: Immerse yourself in the local art scene by visiting the art galleries in the Old Market District. Admire paintings, sculptures, and other artistic creations by talented local artists.
- Farmers Market: If you’re visiting during the weekend, don’t miss the vibrant farmers market. Explore the stalls filled with fresh produce, locally-made products, and enjoy the lively atmosphere.
- Nightlife: As the sun sets, visit the Old Market District comes alive with its vibrant nightlife. Enjoy live music performances at venues like Reverb Lounge or dance the night away at one of the district’s popular clubs.
Visiting Omaha’s Old Market District offers a unique and memorable experience, providing a combination of delicious food, local culture, and vibrant entertainment.
Discover Art at the Joslyn Art Museum
Explore the captivating collection of art at the Joslyn Art Museum, situated in Omaha, Nebraska. The museum beautifully presents a wide array of artworks from diverse cultures and time periods. Engage with the vibrant exhibits that the museum offers, fully immersing yourself in the experience. Be amazed by the intricate details of the paintings, sculptures, and other artistic masterpieces. Appreciate the remarkable collection, featuring both celebrated artists and up-and-coming talents. Delve into the world of art and gain insights into different styles and techniques. Embark on a journey of discovery at the Joslyn Art Museum and embrace the cultural significance it brings to the community.
Enjoy a Stroll in the Lauritzen Gardens
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jack Nguyen
Enjoy a leisurely walk through the breathtaking Lauritzen Gardens and fully indulge in the natural splendor of Omaha, Nebraska. The expansive gardens, covering 100 acres, provide a peaceful sanctuary for visitors to explore and admire.
During your meandering journey amidst the gardens, you will encounter a captivating array of magnificent plant exhibits, such as the enchanting rose gardens, impressive botanical collections, and ever-changing seasonal flower beds. The meticulously manicured landscapes and unwavering attention to detail contribute to an enchanting and enchanting experience.
Immerse yourself in the vibrant hues and fragrant aromas as you stroll along the winding pathways, allowing yourself to fully embrace the present moment and marvel at the miracles of nature surrounding you. The gardens also showcase an assortment of art installations and sculptures, lending a touch of artistic brilliance to the surroundings.
In addition to its natural allure, the Lauritzen Gardens also offer valuable educational opportunities through informative signs and exhibits. Expand your knowledge about various plant species, innovative gardening techniques, and the importance of environmental conservation.
Regardless of whether you are an ardent nature enthusiast, a photography connoisseur, or simply seeking a serene retreat, a leisurely stroll through the magnificent Lauritzen Gardens is guaranteed to create indelible memories.
Do not miss the chance to immerse yourself in a tranquil and awe-inspiring walk through the exquisite Lauritzen Gardens. Embrace the serenity and fully immerse yourself in the captivating beauty that Omaha, Nebraska proudly showcases.
Take a Trip to the Durham Museum
To fully experience Omaha, Nebraska, it is essential to take a trip to the Durham Museum. Located in the former Union Station, this historical museum offers a rich glimpse into the region’s past. Learn about the city’s railroad history and explore exhibits on the pioneers who shaped the area. The museum also features rotating exhibits that cover a variety of topics and interests. So, whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply looking to learn something new, a visit to the Durham Museum is a must. Immerse yourself in the vibrant history of Omaha and gain a deeper appreciation for the city and its heritage.
Experience the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge
When visiting Omaha, Nebraska, you must experience the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. This bridge is a stunning architectural marvel that spans the Missouri River, connecting Nebraska and Iowa. It offers breathtaking views of the river and the surrounding cityscape.
Walking across the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a unique and exhilarating experience. With a length of 3,000 feet, it is the longest pedestrian bridge that links two states. As you stroll along the bridge, you can experience the beauty and fresh air while enjoying the view of the river and the skyline.
The Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is not just a means of crossing the river, but also a destination in itself. You can bring your camera to capture memorable photos, have a peaceful picnic on the grassy areas nearby, or simply sit and relax while experiencing the view. It is truly an unforgettable experience.
Whether you’re a local or a visitor, experiencing the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a must. It offers a unique perspective of Omaha and Iowa, and it is a great way to experience the outdoors and appreciate the beauty of the surrounding area. So, make sure to include a visit to this iconic bridge in your itinerary.
Watch a Game at the TD Ameritrade Park
Watching a game at the TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Nebraska is an incredible way to support your favorite team and be a part of the thrilling sports culture.
The park, known for its state-of-the-art facilities and lively atmosphere, offers excellent views from every seat, ensuring that fans can fully engage with the game.
Cheering alongside fellow supporters creates an electric atmosphere that enhances the overall experience of watching a game at TD Ameritrade Park.
Before heading to the park, it is advisable to check the schedule to determine which game aligns with your preference.
Be sure to arrive early to secure a good seat and soak in the pre-game excitement when you watch a game at the TD Ameritrade Park.
Learn at the Omaha Children’s Museum
The Omaha Children’s Museum is where kids can learn through interactive exhibits, educational programs, and hands-on activities. They have the opportunity to explore different areas such as the art studio, science center, and construction zone. In these areas, children can engage in creative and educational experiences. The museum provides a fun and engaging environment for children to cultivate their curiosity and enhance their knowledge. With a variety of exhibits and programs, children can boost their learning and develop important skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and creativity. At the Omaha Children’s Museum, kids of all ages and interests can have the chance to learn.
Visit the Heartland of America Park
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by George Roberts
When in Omaha, Nebraska, a visit to the Heartland of America Park is a must-do. This charming park, located in downtown, offers breathtaking views of the city skyline and the Missouri River. Take a leisurely stroll along the walking paths or unwind by the lake to fully immerse yourself in the serene atmosphere.
During the summer months, make your visit even more romantic by taking a gondola ride on the lake. Don’t miss the opportunity to witness the mesmerizing spectacle of the illuminated fountain at night.
If you want to make the most of your visit, consider going in the evening when the city lights illuminate the skyline. This is the perfect time to capture stunning photos and enjoy the magical ambiance. The Heartland of America Park is a true gem in Omaha that both locals and tourists should not miss.
Explore the Joslyn Castle
If you’re looking to explore the Joslyn Castle in Omaha, Nebraska, you’re in for an exciting adventure. The castle is a historic landmark that offers a glimpse into the past. While exploring the Joslyn Castle, you’ll discover stunning architecture, beautiful gardens, and rich history. It’s an excellent opportunity to immerse yourself in the beauty and grandeur of this magnificent building. Take a guided tour and learn about the family who once lived here and the significant events that took place. With its unique charm and captivating ambiance, the Joslyn Castle is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in history and architecture. So, put on your walking shoes and get ready to explore the Joslyn Castle, an iconic landmark in Omaha, Nebraska.
What Are Some Family-friendly Activities in Omaha?
Are you looking for family-friendly activities in Omaha? Well, you’re in luck because there are plenty of options to keep everyone entertained. Here are some suggestions:
- Visit the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, which is consistently ranked as one of the best zoos in the world.
- Explore the Omaha Children’s Museum, where kids can engage in hands-on exhibits and educational activities.
- Spend a day at Fun-Plex Waterpark & Rides, enjoying thrilling water slides and exciting amusement park rides.
- Discover the Lauritzen Gardens, a beautiful botanical garden with a variety of plants and outdoor spaces to explore.
- Take a stroll along the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, the longest pedestrian bridge linking two states, offering stunning views of the Omaha skyline and the Missouri River.
- Enjoy a family picnic or bike ride at Elmwood Park, which features extensive green spaces, a playground, and tennis courts.
No matter what your family’s interests are, Omaha has something to offer for everyone. So go out and create lasting memories with your loved ones!
What Are Some Outdoor Activities in Omaha?
When planning outdoor activities in Omaha, consider exploring the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, which offers numerous outdoor exhibits and activities such as walking through the African Grasslands exhibit or enjoying a ride on the Skyfari. Another option is visiting the Omaha’s Old Market District, a lively neighborhood with cobblestone streets, unique shops, and outdoor dining options. For scenic views, you can take a walk or bike ride along the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, which spans the Missouri River and provides stunning views of the city skyline. If you’re looking for a peaceful escape, the Lauritzen Gardens is the perfect place to enjoy a leisurely stroll. This botanical garden features beautiful outdoor landscapes, including a rose garden and a Japanese garden. Lastly, make sure to visit the Heartland of America Park, where you can engage in activities like walking or jogging along the lake, picnicking, or renting a paddleboat.
What Are Some Historical Sites to Visit in Omaha?
Omaha, Nebraska is filled with rich history and offers many historical sites to visit. What Are Some Historical Sites to Visit in Omaha? Here are some notable ones to explore:
1. The Durham Museum: Formerly a grand Union Station, the Durham Museum is now a historical museum that showcases Omaha’s past through exhibits on transportation, Native American history, and the city’s development.
2. The Joslyn Art Museum: While primarily an art museum, the Joslyn Art Museum is housed in a stunning Art Deco building and has a rich history. It was established in 1931 by Sarah Joslyn in memory of her husband, George, and offers visitors a chance to explore various art collections.
3. The Omaha Old Market District: This historic neighborhood is a lively area filled with shops, restaurants, and architecture that dates back to the 19th century. Strolling through the streets of the Old Market District will give you a glimpse into the city’s past.
4. The Joslyn Castle: Built in the late 19th century for the prominent Joslyn family, the Joslyn Castle is a stunning mansion that now serves as a cultural center. Visitors can take guided tours to learn about the history and beauty of this architectural gem.
5. The Fort Omaha Historic District: This district includes the General Crook House Museum, which was once the home of General George Crook, and the Western Heritage Museum, which explores the history of the U.S. Army in the area. It’s a great place to learn about Omaha’s military and pioneer past.
While exploring these historical sites, it’s fascinating to uncover the stories and events that shaped Omaha. For example, did you know that the city played a significant role in the building of the Transcontinental Railroad? The Union Station, now the Durham Museum, was an essential transportation hub during that time and witnessed the arrival and departure of countless travelers.
By visiting these historical sites, you can immerse yourself in Omaha’s past and gain a deeper understanding of the city’s heritage. So grab your walking shoes and embark on a historical journey through Omaha, Nebraska!
Where Can You Find the Best Restaurants in Omaha?
When it comes to finding the best restaurants in Omaha, there are several options that you should consider:
- Sage Student Bistro: Located at the Metropolitan Community College, this student-run restaurant offers a unique dining experience with a changing menu and great prices.
- The Grey Plume: Known for its farm-to-table approach, The Grey Plume focuses on using locally sourced ingredients to create delicious and innovative dishes.
- Dante Pizzeria Napoletana: If you’re in the mood for authentic Neapolitan pizza, Dante Pizzeria Napoletana is the place to go. Their wood-fired pizzas are cooked to perfection.
- Mula Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria: Craving Mexican cuisine? Mula is a popular spot with a wide range of delicious tacos and a tequila menu featuring over 100 options.
- Block 16: Offering a menu full of creative and flavorful dishes, Block 16 is a must-visit for food enthusiasts. Their selection of burgers and sandwiches is particularly renowned.
- Noli’s Pizzeria: Noli’s is famous for its New York-style pizzas. With a variety of toppings and generous slices, it’s perfect for a quick and satisfying meal.
- Le Bouillon: This French-inspired restaurant offers a cozy and elegant dining experience. Enjoy classic French dishes with a modern twist.
- Stokes Grill & Bar: Stokes is a local favorite, known for its diverse menu and friendly atmosphere. From burgers to seafood, there’s something for everyone.
Remember, these are just a few of the best restaurants Omaha has to offer. Be sure to explore the city further to discover hidden gems and unique dining experiences that suit your tastes.
What are the Annual Festivals and Events in Omaha?
Are you wondering what are the Annual Festivals and Events in Omaha? Omaha offers a diverse range of cultural and entertainment experiences for residents and visitors alike. Here are some notable events that take place throughout the year:
- Omaha Summer Arts Festival: Held annually in June, this festival showcases a variety of visual arts, music performances, and food vendors. Artists from all over the country come to participate.
- Nebraska Balloon and Wine Festival: In August, visitors can enjoy hot air balloon launches, wine tastings, live music, and local food vendors at this annual event.
- Omaha Beer Fest: Beer enthusiasts can sample a wide selection of craft beers from local and national breweries. Look out for this event in July.
- Omaha Film Festival: Film lovers can experience a diverse range of independent films and engage in discussions with filmmakers during this annual event in March.
- Omaha Fashion Week: Fashion enthusiasts can witness the latest trends in fashion through runway shows, designer showcases, and other fashion-related events. It takes place twice a year in February and August.
One of my most memorable experiences was attending the Omaha Summer Arts Festival. The vibrant atmosphere, with artists displaying their unique works, live music filling the air, and delicious food options, made it a truly enjoyable event. I was able to appreciate different art forms, support local artists, and immerse myself in the creative energy of Omaha.
Are There any Hidden Gems in Omaha?
Omaha, Nebraska is full of hidden gems waiting to be discovered. From unique attractions to hidden natural wonders, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. Are There any Hidden Gems in Omaha? Here are some hidden gems worth exploring in Omaha:
1. The Florence Mill: Experience history at this hidden gem, which houses an art gallery and a farmer’s market. Learn about the mill’s rich history and explore the local artwork.
2. Zorinsky Lake: Enjoy the beauty of nature at Zorinsky Lake. This hidden gem offers walking trails, fishing opportunities, and even a dog park. It’s the perfect place for outdoor enthusiasts.
3. The Stave & Hoop: Are There any Hidden Gems in Omaha? This hidden gem is a speakeasy-style bar tucked away in the heart of Omaha. Enjoy craft cocktails and a cozy atmosphere in this unique establishment.
4. The Switch Room Restaurant: Are There any Hidden Gems in Omaha? This hidden gem offers a farm-to-table dining experience in a converted railcar. Enjoy delicious food made from locally sourced ingredients.
5. El Museo Latino: Explore the rich culture and heritage of Latin America at this hidden gem. This museum showcases an impressive collection of artwork and historical artifacts.
6. The Little Free Libraries: Are There any Hidden Gems in Omaha? Keep an eye out for the little free libraries scattered throughout Omaha. These hidden gems offer a chance to exchange books and discover new literary treasures.
Next time you’re in Omaha, be sure to explore these hidden gems and discover all that the city has to offer.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some fun things to do in Omaha, Nebraska?
Omaha, Nebraska offers a variety of fun activities for visitors. Some top attractions include:
- Visiting Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, known for its unique exhibits such as the largest indoor rainforest and desert, and a tunnel full of sharks.
- Exploring the Omaha Children’s Museum, which offers educational fun for kids with rotating special exhibits and permanent interactive exhibits.
- Discovering the history and architecture at The Durham Museum, featuring permanent exhibits and hands-on activities.
- Exploring the beautiful gardens at Lauritzen Gardens and enjoying the bird sanctuary.
Where can I stay in Omaha for sightseeing?
Some recommended places to stay in Omaha for sightseeing include Hotel Deco, Hotel Indigo – Omaha Downtown, and The Farnam, Autograph Collection. These hotels offer convenient access to the city’s attractions and amenities for a comfortable stay.
What are some family-friendly activities in Omaha?
Omaha offers a variety of family-friendly activities. Some recommended options include visiting the Omaha Children’s Museum, exploring the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, and enjoying the Fun-Plex Waterpark & Rides, Nebraska’s largest amusement park.
What are some recommended date night activities in Omaha?
If you’re looking for a romantic night out, Omaha has several options for couples. Consider visiting the Old Market District, going on a beer tasting tour, or exploring the city’s bustling nightlife scene with its variety of bars, shops, and theaters.
What are some pet-friendly activities in Omaha?
If you’re traveling with your four-legged friend, Omaha offers pet-friendly activities. You can visit the Omaha Dog Bar, Bob the Bridge, or Dewey Dog Park for some outdoor fun and socialization with other dogs.
What are some outdoor activities to do in Omaha?
If you enjoy outdoor activities, Omaha has plenty to offer. You can go golfing, visit Lauritzen Gardens, explore Omaha’s Riverfront, or enjoy the city’s walking and biking trails. Spending time outdoors in Omaha allows you to enjoy the city’s natural beauty and recreational opportunities.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.