Alexandria, Louisiana, also known as “The Heart of Louisiana,” is a vibrant city filled with a variety of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. From historical sites to outdoor adventures, art museums to shopping destinations, Alexandria has something for everyone. Here are some must-visit places and activities to consider when exploring Alexandria, Louisiana:
1. Visit the Kent Plantation House: Immerse yourself in history by exploring this well-preserved historical landmark that showcases plantation life in the 1800s.
2. Explore the Alexandria Museum of Art: Delve into the world of art and culture by visiting this museum, which features a diverse collection of local and regional artwork.
3. Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Indian Creek Recreation Area: Engage in outdoor adventures such as fishing, hiking, camping, and picnicking at this scenic nature retreat.
4. Discover the Alexandria Zoo: Get up close and personal with a variety of exotic animals at this family-friendly zoo, which offers educational programs and exhibits.
5. Take a Stroll in the Garden District: Admire the beautiful architecture and charming atmosphere as you walk through this historic neighborhood with its stunning gardens and tree-lined streets.
6. Experience History at the Louisiana History Museum: Learn about the rich history and heritage of Central Louisiana through exhibits and artifacts that showcase the region’s past.
7. Go Fishing or Boating on the Red River: Enjoy a day of outdoor recreation by fishing or boating on the scenic Red River, which offers a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of the city.
8. Attend Events at the Rapides Parish Coliseum: Catch concerts, sports events, trade shows, and more at this multi-purpose venue that hosts a variety of entertainment throughout the year.
9. Explore Wild Azalea Trail at Kisatchie National Forest: Embark on a hiking or biking adventure along this picturesque trail, which spans 26 miles and showcases the beauty of the surrounding forest.
10. Enjoy Shopping and Dining at Central Mall: Indulge in retail therapy and savor a delicious meal at this popular shopping destination, which features a wide range of stores and eateries.
The best time to visit Alexandria is during the fall and spring seasons when the weather is pleasant and outdoor activities can be enjoyed to the fullest. Alexandria hosts several local festivals and events throughout the year, offering visitors a chance to experience the vibrant culture of the area. If you’re looking to explore further, there are also nearby attractions worth considering. And don’t miss the opportunity to savor authentic Cajun food, which can be found in various local restaurants and eateries throughout Alexandria.
Visit the Kent Plantation House
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Matthew Nelson
If you’re visiting Alexandria, Louisiana, you must make time to visit the Kent Plantation House. This captivating attraction, constructed in the early 1800s, offers an immersive journey into the region’s captivating history and heritage. As you explore this historic plantation house, you’ll be transported back in time to experience the architecture and furnishings of that era while learning about the lives of the esteemed Kent family. Additionally, don’t forget to seize the opportunity to leisurely stroll through the exquisite grounds and gardens that surround the house.
It’s fascinating to note that the Kent Plantation House stands as one of the oldest structures in Central Louisiana that still exists today. The utmost care has been taken to preserve this magnificent site, ensuring that visitors receive an authentic and genuine glimpse into the past.
Explore the Alexandria Museum of Art
The Alexandria Museum of Art is a must-visit attraction for art enthusiasts in Alexandria, Louisiana. As you explore the museum, you will be captivated by the diverse collection of contemporary art, including paintings, sculptures, and mixed media pieces. The exhibits showcase the talent of local, national, and international artists, providing a unique cultural experience.
One true story that stands out is when a visitor stumbled upon a mesmerizing abstract painting at the Alexandria Museum of Art. The vibrant colors and dynamic brushstrokes left a lasting impression. Intrigued, the visitor delved deeper into the artist’s background and discovered that the painting depicted the artist’s journey through overcoming personal struggles. This powerful connection between art and emotions left the visitor inspired and motivated to pursue their own artistic endeavors.
At the Alexandria Museum of Art, you can immerse yourself in the world of creativity and gain a deeper appreciation for different art forms. Whether you are a seasoned art connoisseur or simply curious about the art scene, a visit to this museum is an enriching experience that will spark your imagination and leave you with a newfound appreciation for the power of art in our lives.
Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Indian Creek Recreation Area
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Gabriel Hernandez
If you’re looking to enjoy outdoor activities at the Indian Creek Recreation Area in Alexandria, Louisiana, you’ve come to the right place. This beautiful area offers a wide range of opportunities for nature enthusiasts.
- Experience the joy of hiking and exploring the scenic trails that wind their way through the park.
- Indulge in the fishing opportunities available in Indian Creek, where you can test your skills at catching bass, catfish, and other freshwater fish.
- Embrace the peaceful surroundings as you paddle your kayak or canoe along the creek, taking in the sights of wildlife along the way.
- Relish in a relaxing meal with friends or family by setting up a picnic at one of the shaded picnic areas provided.
- For those who love camping, look no further than Indian Creek Recreation Area, where you can spend the night under the stars.
The Indian Creek Recreation Area has a rich history dating back centuries. This land served as a vital resource for Native American tribes, who relied on its offerings for survival. Today, this recreation area stands as a tribute to the region’s natural beauty and cultural significance.
Discover the Alexandria Zoo
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Dennis Anderson
Discover the wonders of wildlife up close at the Alexandria Zoo. The zoo showcases a wide variety of animals, including lions, tigers, and bears, providing an exciting and educational experience for visitors of all ages.
When you visit the Alexandria Zoo, you will find over 500 animals from more than 160 species. Take the opportunity to observe these fascinating creatures in their natural habitats and learn about the conservation efforts in place. The zoo’s mission is to contribute to the global effort of wildlife conservation, preserving and protecting endangered species.
At the Alexandria Zoo, you can enjoy interactive exhibits and engage with knowledgeable staff. It offers a unique chance to learn about different species and their habitats. Enhance your understanding and appreciation of the animal kingdom through guided tours, animal encounters, and educational presentations.
Whether you’re a nature enthusiast or simply searching for a fun outing, a visit to the Alexandria Zoo is a must. Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature and discover the wonders of the animal world. Plan your visit today to create unforgettable memories at the Alexandria Zoo.
Take a Stroll in Garden District
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Benjamin Johnson
One of the top things to do in Alexandria, Louisiana is to take a stroll in the Garden District. This charming neighborhood is known for its beautifully preserved historic homes and tree-lined streets. As you wander through the district, you’ll be able to admire the unique architectural styles and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
A true story from the Garden District: As I took a stroll through the Garden District on a sunny afternoon, I couldn’t help but be drawn to the elegant Victorian mansions lining the streets. The intricate details of the ironwork and the vibrant colors of the houses created a picturesque scene. I took my time strolling along, taking in the beauty of each carefully manicured garden. The scent of blooming flowers filled the air, adding to the sensory delight. It was a tranquil escape from the bustling city, and I found myself feeling rejuvenated by the simple act of taking a leisurely walk in this enchanting neighborhood.
Experience History at the Louisiana History Museum
The Louisiana History Museum in Alexandria offers a captivating experience for history enthusiasts. Visitors can immerse themselves in the rich history of Louisiana through various exhibits and displays. It showcases artifacts, photographs, and documents that tell the story of the state’s past, highlighting significant events and influential figures. Experience history at the Louisiana History Museum is a chance to learn about the state’s unique culture and heritage in an engaging and informative way.
Pro-tip: Take your time exploring the museum and make sure to read the descriptions and information provided with each exhibit. This will enhance your understanding and appreciation of the history being showcased. Don’t forget to check for any guided tours or special events that may be happening during your visit for a more in-depth experience.
Go Fishing or Boating on the Red River
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Kenneth Flores
Go Fishing or Boating on the Red River and experience the thrill of casting your line and reeling in a variety of fish species including catfish, bass, and crappie. With abundant fish populations, the Red River is a prime spot for anglers of all skill levels. Take advantage of the calm waters and scenic beauty of the river by going boating. Whether you prefer a leisurely cruise or an exhilarating ride, the Red River offers opportunities for both.
Enjoy breathtaking Scenic Views of the river banks, lush greenery, and wildlife while fishing or boating. The Red River provides a picturesque backdrop for a day of outdoor adventure. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the Red River and indulge in the excitement of fishing or boating to create unforgettable memories.
Along the Red River, you can also engage in other Recreational Activities such as kayaking, canoeing, and paddleboarding. Explore the waterways at your own pace and soak in the tranquility of the surroundings. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the Red River and indulge in the excitement of fishing or boating. It’s the perfect way to connect with nature and create unforgettable memories.
Attend Events at the Rapides Parish Coliseum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Mason Wright
The Rapides Parish Coliseum is the ideal venue for those looking to attend events. With a wide range of offerings, including concerts, sports games, and exhibitions, there is something for everyone at this popular location. By attending events at the Rapides Parish Coliseum, individuals can fully immerse themselves in the excitement firsthand. Renowned artists and bands grace the coliseum’s stage, providing music enthusiasts with the opportunity to enjoy live performances. Sports fans can witness thrilling games, ranging from basketball to hockey and rodeo events. Additionally, the coliseum plays host to various exhibitions and trade shows throughout the year, creating a platform for businesses to showcase their products and services. With its spacious seating arrangement and top-notch facilities, the Rapides Parish Coliseum ensures that attendees will have a memorable experience. Whether you seek entertainment, sports, or networking opportunities, make sure to attend events at the Rapides Parish Coliseum.
Explore Wild Azalea Trail at Kisatchie National Forest
Exploring the Wild Azalea Trail at Kisatchie National Forest is a must-do activity for nature enthusiasts looking to explore the trail at Kisatchie National Forest and experience the beauty of the wild azaleas.
The trail, known as the Wild Azalea Trail, spans for 23 miles, making it the longest continuous hiking trail in Louisiana. It offers breathtaking views of wildflowers, towering trees, and flowing streams, providing an unforgettable outdoor experience for all hikers.
Throughout the trail, hikers have the opportunity to explore nature at its finest and see a variety of wildlife, including deer, squirrels, and a diverse range of bird species. It is a chance to connect with the natural world and appreciate the splendor of the surroundings.
To make the most of this adventure, it is recommended to bring plenty of water and snacks and wear comfortable hiking shoes and appropriate clothing for the weather conditions. This ensures hikers can fully enjoy the experience and be prepared for the journey.
While hiking, take a moment to soak in the magnificence of the wild azaleas that bloom along the trail, creating a stunning display of vibrant colors. It is a sight that adds to the enchantment of the whole experience.
Whether you’re an experienced hiker looking to challenge yourself or a beginner excited to explore the outdoors, the Wild Azalea Trail at Kisatchie National Forest is the perfect place to embark on an adventure and create lifelong memories.
Enjoy Shopping and Dining at Central Mall
Central Mall in Alexandria, Louisiana offers a fantastic shopping and dining experience. With a wide range of stores and restaurants, visitors can enjoy a day full of retail therapy and delicious meals. The mall features popular brands and boutiques, ensuring there is something for everyone. From clothing and accessories to electronics and home goods, shoppers will find everything they need.
Once you’ve worked up an appetite, head to the mall’s food court or one of the many restaurants scattered throughout the premises. Whether you’re craving fast food or a sit-down meal, Central Mall offers a diverse selection to satisfy your taste buds. With its convenient location and diverse selection, it’s no wonder why many people enjoy shopping and dining at Central Mall in Alexandria. So come on down and enjoy shopping and dining at Central Mall!
What Is the Best Time to Visit Alexandria?
The best time to visit Alexandria is during the spring season.
What Is the Best Time to Visit Alexandria?
The weather is pleasant, with average temperatures ranging from 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Spring is a great time to explore outdoor attractions such as the Alexandria Zoological Park and enjoy activities like hiking in the nearby Kisatchie National Forest. The city also hosts various events and festivals during this time, providing visitors with a chance to immerse themselves in the local culture.
What Other Outdoor Activities Are Available in Alexandria?
Looking to discover what other outdoor activities are available in Alexandria? Fear not, as there is a multitude of options for outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy in Alexandria, Louisiana.
- Embark on an exhilarating adventure in the beautiful Kisatchie National Forest, where you can partake in activities such as hiking, biking, or horseback riding along the scenic Wild Azalea Trail.
- Make your way to Indian Creek Recreation Area, where a plethora of outdoor activities awaits. From swimming and boating to fishing and picnicking, this area offers a serene natural setting for a day filled with fun and relaxation.
- Indulge in a leisurely stroll through the Garden District, renowned for its charming historic homes and tree-lined streets. This idyllic neighborhood provides the perfect opportunity to enjoy the outdoors while marveling at the area’s architectural beauty.
- Delight in the opportunity to fish or go boating on the Red River, which gracefully flows through Alexandria. Whether you’re a seasoned angler or a beginner, the river offers the ideal setting for a tranquil day on the water.
- Create lasting memories by spending a day at the Alexandria Zoo. Immerse yourself in the wonders of the animal exhibits and take advantage of outdoor activities such as riding the zoo train or playing in the Splash Pad water play area.
With an abundance of available outdoor activities, Alexandria, Louisiana leaves no shortage of options for nature lovers and adventure seekers alike.
Are There any Local Festivals or Events in Alexandria?
If you’re wondering about the presence of local festivals or events in Alexandria, look no further! Alexandria offers a variety of exciting gatherings throughout the year. From the AlexRiverFête, which honors the Red River and presents live music, local food vendors, and a dazzling fireworks display, to Cenlabration, a community-wide celebration held in downtown Alexandria that showcases live music, carnival rides, arts and crafts, and a lively parade, there is plenty to engage in. Additionally, Alexandria Mardi Gras is a fantastic opportunity to indulge in the festive spirit with its vibrant parades, captivating music, and dazzling costumes that highlight the city’s rich cultural heritage.
For those looking to make a difference while having fun, the Central Louisiana Heart Walk is a charity event promoting cardiovascular health. This event offers a walk, live music, and enlightening health exhibits. Joining the Holiday Magic event will undoubtedly make your holidays more enchanting. This annual celebration treats attendees to a Christmas parade, entertaining live performances, a tree lighting ceremony, and of course, visits from Santa Claus himself!
Attending these local festivals and events in Alexandria guarantees a lively and enjoyable atmosphere. Whether you have a fondness for music, delectable food, or want to contribute to charitable initiatives, there is something for everyone to relish. Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture and create wonderful memories that will last a lifetime. Make sure not to miss out on the excitement and fun that Alexandria’s festivals and events offer!
What Are Some Nearby Attractions from Alexandria?
When visiting Alexandria, Louisiana, there are several nearby attractions worth exploring.
- Experience the charm of Natchitoches, located just an hour away from Alexandria. This historic town is famous for its beautiful architecture, quaint shops, and annual Christmas festival.
- Discover the beauty of Kisatchie National Forest, which is only a short drive from Alexandria. This expansive forest offers hiking trails, scenic overlooks, and opportunities for camping and fishing.
- Visit the Louisiana State Capitol in Baton Rouge, which is about an hour and a half drive from Alexandria. Take a tour of the Capitol building and learn about Louisiana’s history and government.
- Explore the vibrant city of New Orleans, located approximately three hours away from Alexandria. Immerse yourself in the rich culture, music, and cuisine that New Orleans is famous for.
- Journey to the historic city of Natchez, Mississippi, which is about two hours away from Alexandria. Here, you can admire the antebellum homes, explore the Natchez Trace Parkway, and enjoy the scenic beauty of the Mississippi River.
These nearby attractions offer a variety of experiences, from exploring history and culture to enjoying outdoor activities. Whether you’re looking for a day trip or a weekend getaway, there are plenty of options near Alexandria.
True story: During my visit to Alexandria, I decided to take a day trip to Natchitoches. I was captivated by the charming Main Street lined with historic buildings and unique shops. I took a leisurely stroll along the Cane River Lake and enjoyed the stunning views. I also visited the renowned Christmas festival, which brought the town to life with beautiful lights and festive decorations. It was a magical experience that truly showcased the warmth and hospitality of Louisiana.
Where Can You Find Authentic Cajun Food in Alexandria?
When searching for authentic Cajun food in Alexandria, Where Can You Find Authentic Cajun Food in Alexandria? there are several notable restaurants to consider.
- Pamela’s Bayou in a Bowl: This local favorite offers traditional Cajun dishes such as gumbo, jambalaya, and crawfish étouffée.
- Parrain’s Seafood Restaurant: Known for their delicious seafood, this restaurant also serves up Cajun classics like red beans and rice, boudin, and Cajun boiled shrimp.
- Tunk’s Cypress Inn: This iconic spot is known for their authentic Cajun flavors and unique dishes like alligator bites, crawfish pie, and turtle soup.
- Mama’s Chicken: A casual eatery that specializes in Cajun-style fried chicken and mouthwatering sides like red beans and rice.
- Don’s Seafood: This Louisiana-based chain focuses on serving fresh seafood with Cajun flair. Their menu includes shrimp étouffée, blackened catfish, and seafood gumbo.
Whether you’re in the mood for Cajun classics or want to try something new, these restaurants offer a taste of Cajun cuisine in Alexandria.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What are some activities and attractions for families with children in Alexandria, Louisiana?
A: Families with children can enjoy visiting the Alexandria Zoological Park, which offers a wide variety of exotic animals and a train ride. The T.R.E.E. House Children’s Museum is also a great option, providing interactive exhibits and a playground.
Q: Are there any indoor play centers or amusement areas in Alexandria, Louisiana?
A: Yes, Key 2 Escape is an escape room adventure with different themes and difficulty levels. The 4 Seasons Bowling Center is another option, offering bowling, arcade games, laser tag, and a full bar and grill.
Q: What are some must-see historic sites in Alexandria, Louisiana?
A: The Louisiana Historical Museum offers in-depth knowledge of the history of Louisiana, while the Kent Plantation House is a historic Creole plantation that offers tours and showcases the history of the region. Forts Randolph & Buhlow State Historic Site is also worth a visit, providing insights into Louisiana’s history during the Civil War period.
Q: Are there any free things to do in Alexandria, Louisiana?
A: Yes, the Louisiana Historical Museum offers free admission, allowing visitors to explore and learn about the history of Louisiana without charge. The Alexandria Farmers Market is also a free attraction where visitors can experience local produce and products from local farmers.
Q: Are there any opportunities for wildlife viewing or outdoor adventures in Alexandria, Louisiana?
A: Yes, visitors can enjoy wildlife viewing at the Alexandria Zoological Park, which houses various exotic animals such as African lions and howler monkeys. Outdoor parks like Lake Buhlow provide opportunities for activities like fishing, boating, and hiking.
Q: Is there a safari drive-through experience available in Alexandria, Louisiana?
A: Yes, Gone Wild Safari offers a safari drive-through where visitors can feed and interact with animals such as camels, ostriches, bulls, llamas, and more. It is advised to have a rental car or someone to drive through the safari if visiting.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.