Bakersfield, California (CA) is a vibrant city that offers a wide range of activities and attractions for visitors. From museums and parks to outdoor recreation and cultural landmarks, there is something for everyone in Bakersfield.
Here are some of the top things to do in Bakersfield:
1. Visit the Kern County Museum, where you can explore the region’s history and culture.
2. Explore the California Living Museum, also known as CALM, which is home to a variety of native plants and animals.
3. Enjoy outdoor recreation at the Kern River, where you can go fishing, boating, or take a scenic hike.
4. Attend a concert or event at the Rabobank Arena, a popular entertainment venue in Bakersfield.
5. Discover art at the Bakersfield Museum of Art, which showcases a diverse collection of contemporary and traditional artwork.
6. Explore the Buena Vista Museum of Natural History, where you can learn about the area’s rich natural heritage.
7. Take a trip to the Murray Family Farms, a working farm that offers activities like fruit picking and tractor rides.
8. Visit the Crystal Palace and Museum, a unique attraction that celebrates the history of country music in Bakersfield.
9. Experience the thrill of racing at the Kern County Raceway Park, a popular destination for motorsport enthusiasts.
10. Explore the ancient petroglyphs at the Little Petroglyph Canyon, which provides a glimpse into the area’s Native American history.
These are just a few of the many attractions and activities that Bakersfield has to offer. Whether you are interested in history, nature, or entertainment, you are sure to find something that interests you in this vibrant city.
Visit the Kern County Museum
If you’re planning a trip to Bakersfield, California, make sure to visit the Kern County Museum. Here are a few reasons why:
- Visit the Kern County Museum showcases the rich history of Kern County and its surrounding areas. You can explore various exhibits and artifacts that depict the region’s cultural heritage.
- Outdoor exhibits: The museum features a range of outdoor exhibits, including historic buildings, like the 16-acre Pioneer Village, which offers a glimpse into the past through authentic structures.
- Art and culture: In addition to preserving history, visit the Kern County Museum also highlights the local art and culture. You can enjoy galleries showcasing local artists or attend events that celebrate the diverse heritage of the region.
- Fun for all ages: Whether you’re traveling with kids or enjoying a solo trip, visit the Kern County Museum offers something for everyone. Interactive exhibits, educational programs, and special events ensure an engaging experience for visitors of all ages.
While visiting the Kern County Museum, make sure to check their website for any current exhibitions, events, or guidelines for entry. It’s a must-visit destination in Bakersfield for history enthusiasts and anyone eager to explore the cultural heritage of Kern County.
Explore the California Living Museum
When visiting Bakersfield, California, one must explore the California Living Museum to truly experience the beauty of the area. Explore the California Living Museum, also known as CALM, to immerse yourself in the unique combination of a zoo and a botanical garden. With over 80 acres of exhibits, visitors can observe and learn about various native California plant and animal species. CALM houses more than 250 animals and 3,400 plant species, providing an immersive experience in natural surroundings. The vibrant displays and interactive exhibits allow visitors to appreciate the rich biodiversity of California.
For those seeking an educational experience, CALM offers guided tours and educational programs that cater to visitors of all ages. Families can enjoy animal feeding sessions and wildlife presentations when they explore the California Living Museum, while nature enthusiasts can also explore the many hiking trails within the museum. The well-maintained gardens showcase the diverse flora of California, making it a paradise for botany enthusiasts.
Exploring the California Living Museum is not only entertaining but also helps to cultivate an appreciation for the natural world. When you explore the California Living Museum, you can connect with nature and understand the importance of wildlife conservation. So, if you’re in Bakersfield, make sure to explore the California Living Museum for an unforgettable experience!
Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at the Kern River
If you’re looking to enjoy outdoor recreation at the Kern River in Bakersfield, California, don’t miss the opportunity to visit. The Kern River offers a variety of activities for nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers. Strong currents and thrilling rapids make it perfect for whitewater rafting and kayaking. Additionally, hiking and camping along the river provide opportunities to explore the scenic beauty of the area. Anglers can also indulge in fishing for trout and bass in the river’s pristine waters. Whether you enjoy adrenaline-pumping adventures or a peaceful day by the water, the Kern River is a must-visit destination for outdoor recreation.
Attend a Concert or Event at the Rabobank Arena
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Daniel Miller
When visiting Bakersfield, California, it is a must to attend a concert or event at the Rabobank Arena. The arena offers a diverse range of performances, from music concerts to sporting events. You have the opportunity to witness your favorite artists or athletes live in action. The Rabobank Arena boasts a seating capacity of over 10,000 people, ensuring a lively and energetic atmosphere for every concert or event. With its state-of-the-art facilities and excellent sound quality, the Rabobank Arena guarantees an unforgettable experience. Therefore, be sure to check the schedule and book your tickets in advance to ensure you can attend a concert or event at the Rabobank Arena during your visit to Bakersfield.
Discover Art at the Bakersfield Museum of Art
The Bakersfield Museum of Art is a must-visit destination for art enthusiasts. Discover art at the Bakersfield Museum of Art and immerse yourself in a diverse collection of artworks. The museum showcases various forms of art, including paintings, sculptures, and installations. Marvel at the creativity and skill of local and international artists as you explore the galleries.
The museum offers a unique opportunity to discover art at the Bakersfield Museum of Art and learn about different art movements and styles. From contemporary to traditional, there is something to cater to every artistic taste. Engage with the art through interactive exhibits and gain a deeper understanding of the creative process.
Additionally, the Bakersfield Museum of Art frequently hosts special exhibitions, showcasing the work of renowned artists from around the world. These exhibitions provide an opportunity to view exceptional pieces and expand your artistic horizons.
Whether you are an art enthusiast or simply seeking a cultural experience, visiting the Bakersfield Museum of Art is a must. Immerse yourself in the vibrant world of art and explore the diverse range of artistic expressions right in the heart of Bakersfield.
The Bakersfield Museum of Art was established in 1956 and has since been dedicated to promoting the arts in the region. It has played a vital role in showcasing the works of local and international artists, fostering a vibrant art community in Bakersfield. Through its exhibits, educational programs, and community outreach initiatives, the museum continues to enrich the cultural landscape of the city.
Explore the Buena Vista Museum of Natural History
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Christopher Rodriguez
The Buena Vista Museum of Natural History is a fascinating destination to explore. You can discover a wide variety of exhibits that showcase the natural history of the region. The museum features displays of fossils, minerals, and Native American artifacts. Additionally, you can learn about the geology and paleontology of the area through interactive exhibits and educational programs. The Buena Vista Museum is a great place to immerse yourself in the wonders of the natural world and gain a deeper understanding of the history and ecology of the region. So, don’t miss the opportunity to explore the Buena Vista Museum of Natural History and unlock the secrets of the past.
As a true history of the museum, it was established in 1995 and is located in Bakersfield, California. With over 28,000 square feet of exhibit space, it houses an extensive collection of fossils, including the largest Ice Age display in the region. The museum’s mission is to educate visitors about the natural history of Kern County and inspire a love for science and discovery. Through its exhibits and educational programs, the Buena Vista Museum continues to be a valuable resource for both locals and tourists interested in exploring the rich natural history of the area.
This has added emphasis to certain words or phrases to highlight important information.
Take a Trip to the Murray Family Farms
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jordan White
If you’re in Bakersfield, California, make sure to visit the Murray Family Farms. This family-owned farm offers a fun and educational experience for visitors of all ages. You can explore the Murray Family Farms and indulge in picking delicious fruits and vegetables directly from the fields. They provide a wide variety of seasonal produce, such as strawberries, cherries, peaches, and more. Moreover, the farm offers activities like tractor rides and petting zoos, which makes it an ideal destination for families to create lasting memories together. Therefore, if you’re seeking a unique agricultural experience in Bakersfield, do not miss the opportunity to take a trip to the Murray Family Farms.
Visit the Crystal Palace and Museum
When visiting Bakersfield, California, it is essential to visit the Crystal Palace and Museum. This iconic attraction offers visitors a chance to delve into the rich history of the area while providing an immersive experience.
- One cannot miss learning about the famous country music legends who have graced the stage at the Crystal Palace, including Buck Owens and Merle Haggard.
- Another highlight is exploring the extensive collection of memorabilia and artifacts that beautifully showcase the evolution of country music in Bakersfield.
- Prepare to be awestruck by the stunning architecture of the Crystal Palace, as it exudes grandeur and nostalgic charm.
- Additionally, visitors can enjoy live performances by talented local musicians, who carry on the rich tradition of country music in Bakersfield.
- Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of the museum, which masterfully transports you back in time to the golden era of country music.
A trip to the Crystal Palace and Museum is indispensable for anyone interested in the history of country music or looking to experience the cultural heritage of Bakersfield. It is an exceptional opportunity to appreciate the contributions of Bakersfield musicians and celebrate the unique music scene that thrives in this city.
Experience the Kern County Raceway Park
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Billy Taylor
If you’re looking to experience the Kern County Raceway Park in Bakersfield, California, get ready for an adrenaline-filled adventure. This exciting venue offers something for every racing enthusiast.
- Witness thrilling races: At the Kern County Raceway Park, you can experience heart-pounding races featuring various types of vehicles, including stock cars, sprint cars, and trucks.
- Feel the excitement: The atmosphere at the raceway is electric, with cheering fans and the roar of powerful engines filling the air.
- Get up close with the action: The raceway provides excellent viewing opportunities, allowing you to personally experience the intense competition up close.
- Enjoy family-friendly entertainment: Bring your family along and have a blast at the raceway. There are often special events and activities for kids, making it a great experience for everyone.
- Support local talent: The Kern County Raceway Park is renowned for showcasing local racing talent, giving you the chance to support and cheer on up-and-coming racers.
So, if you’re ready to experience the Kern County Raceway Park and have an unforgettable adventure of high-speed thrills, make sure to visit in Bakersfield, California.
Explore the Petroglyphs at the Little Petroglyph Canyon
By exploring the petroglyphs at the Little Petroglyph Canyon, visitors can immerse themselves in the ancient art and culture of Bakersfield, California, and gain a deeper understanding of the region’s history. You can explore the petroglyphs at the Little Petroglyph Canyon in Bakersfield, California. These ancient rock carvings provide a fascinating glimpse into the history and culture of the area.
- Active Exploration: Visitors can hike through the canyon and discover the petroglyphs firsthand.
- Ancient Art: The petroglyphs at the Little Petroglyph Canyon date back thousands of years, showcasing the artistic talent and storytelling of the Native American tribes who once inhabited the area.
- Cultural Significance: Exploring these petroglyphs offers a unique opportunity to connect with the rich heritage and traditions of the indigenous people.
- Natural Setting: The Little Petroglyph Canyon is nestled within the picturesque landscape of Bakersfield, allowing visitors to appreciate both the artistic and natural beauty of the site.
- Educational Experience: This exploration provides an engaging learning experience for individuals of all ages, offering insights into the past and fostering an appreciation for the history of the area.
Enjoy a Day at the Mesa Marin Raceway
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by James Thomas
When visiting Bakersfield, California, be sure to enjoy a day at the Mesa Marin Raceway. This exciting racing venue offers thrilling experiences for racing enthusiasts.
- Experience the thrill: Get your adrenaline pumping as you watch high-speed races and witness skilled drivers maneuver their vehicles.
- Engage in the atmosphere: Immerse yourself in the electric atmosphere of the raceway, where the air is filled with excitement and the cheers of the crowd.
- Enjoy the variety: From stock car races to dirt track events, enjoy a day at the Mesa Marin Raceway offers a diverse range of racing competitions to suit every preference.
- Witness the action: Get up close to the racing action and witness the power and skill of the drivers as they navigate the challenging track.
- Create lasting memories: Spend a day with family or friends and create unforgettable memories while enjoying a day at the Mesa Marin Raceway.
- Support local talent: Show your support for local racers and teams as they compete against each other in pursuit of victory.
So, if you’re looking for an exhilarating experience in Bakersfield, don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy a day at the Mesa Marin Raceway.
Explore the Kern National Wildlife Refuge
When exploring Bakersfield, California, one must not miss the opportunity to explore the Kern National Wildlife Refuge. Here are some activities and things to see in this beautiful refuge:
- Observe Wildlife: The Kern National Wildlife Refuge is home to a diverse range of wildlife species. Visitors can spot various bird species, including ducks, geese, and herons. Additionally, you may encounter mammals such as coyotes and rabbits.
- Hiking: Explore the Kern National Wildlife Refuge‘s scenic trails that wind through diverse habitats. Enjoy the fresh air and beautiful landscapes as you hike through the refuge.
- Photography: Capture stunning pictures of the refuge’s wildlife and natural beauty. With its picturesque vistas and diverse wildlife, the Kern National Wildlife Refuge offers plenty of opportunities for photographers.
- Environmental Education: Learn about the importance of conservation and explore the Kern National Wildlife Refuge’s role in protecting local wildlife. The refuge offers educational programs and guided tours to enhance visitors’ understanding of the ecosystem.
- Picnicking: Take a break and enjoy a picnic in the designated picnic areas within the Kern National Wildlife Refuge. Spend quality time with family and friends surrounded by nature’s tranquility.
Visiting the Kern National Wildlife Refuge is a must for nature enthusiasts and those looking to experience the beauty of California’s wildlife. Immerse yourself in the refuge’s natural wonders and create lasting memories.
Visit the Fox Theater
When planning your trip to Bakersfield, California, make sure to include a visit to the renowned Fox Theater. This historic venue, known for its unique and captivating performances, is a must-see attraction. Take a look at the show schedule to find a performance that matches your preferences. Recently renovated, the Fox Theater now boasts an even __more charming__ and __inviting__ atmosphere. With its spacious layout, this theater can accommodate a large audience, creating an immersive and pleasurable experience. Whether you’re a fan of concerts, plays, or any live events, be sure to prioritize visiting the Fox Theater during your time in Bakersfield.
Take a Stroll in the Park at Hart Memorial Park
One of the best activities to do in Bakersfield is to take a stroll in the park at Hart Memorial Park. This beautiful park is the perfect place to relax, enjoy nature, and spend quality time with family and friends. With over 370 acres of green space, there are plenty of walking trails, picnic areas, and playgrounds to explore.
While strolling through the park, you can admire the stunning views of the lake and surrounding mountains. The park also offers various recreational activities such as fishing, boating, and disc golf, providing entertainment for everyone.
Whether you’re looking for a peaceful escape or a fun-filled day outdoors, taking a stroll in the park at Hart Memorial Park is a great choice. So grab your walking shoes, pack a picnic, and enjoy the beauty that this park has to offer.
Explore the Murray Family Farms Pumpkin Patch
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Lawrence Lee
Explore the Murray Family Farms Pumpkin Patch: The Murray Family Farms Pumpkin Patch is a must-visit attraction in Bakersfield, California.
Enjoy a variety of activities: At the pumpkin patch, you can participate in fun and exciting activities such as picking your own pumpkin, navigating through corn mazes, and going on hayrides.
Experience family-friendly fun: The pumpkin patch is a great place to spend quality time with your family. Children will love the petting zoo, pony rides, and bounce houses.
Indulge in delicious treats: Don’t miss out on the mouth-watering treats available at the pumpkin patch. Indulge in homemade pies, caramel apples, and freshly squeezed apple cider.
Capture memorable moments: Take advantage of the beautiful fall scenery and capture memorable photos with your loved ones. The vibrant colors and picturesque setting make for fantastic photo opportunities.
Support local farmers: By visiting the Murray Family Farms Pumpkin Patch, you are supporting local farmers and their sustainable agriculture practices.
Create lasting traditions: Visiting the pumpkin patch can become a beloved family tradition. Start a new annual tradition by exploring the Murray Family Farms Pumpkin Patch and creating lasting memories.
Discover History at the Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park
Discover the rich history of the Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park in Bakersfield, California. This park is dedicated to preserving the legacy of Colonel Allen Allensworth, who founded the town of Allensworth in 1908. As you explore the park, you can learn about the struggles and triumphs of the African American pioneers who settled there.
Immerse yourself in the past as you visit the preserved buildings and artifacts that tell the story of this historic settlement. Walk through the restored schoolhouse, church, and homes to gain a deeper understanding of what life was like for the residents of Allensworth.
Take a guided tour or attend a special event to learn even more about the park’s history. You can also enjoy outdoor activities like hiking and picnicking in the scenic surroundings.
Soak up the history and significance of the Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park in Bakersfield, California, and gain insight into the remarkable achievements of the African American community that thrived there.
Fun Fact: Colonel Allensworth was the first African American to be promoted to the rank of lieutenant colonel in the United States Army.
Enjoy Wine Tasting at the Bakersfield Wineries
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jesse Carter
- Enjoy wine tasting at the award-winning Bakersfield wineries.
- Discover a wide variety of wines, including reds, whites, rosés, and sparkling.
- Learn about the wine-making process and the unique characteristics of each wine.
- Experience the beautiful vineyards and picturesque landscapes.
- Taste different wine varietals and find your favorite flavors and aromas.
Pro-tip: Make sure to bring a designated driver or arrange for transportation, as you’ll want to fully enjoy the wine tasting experience without worrying about driving.
Visit the Kern River Oil Museum
When visiting Bakersfield, California, one of the must-visit attractions is the Kern River Oil Museum. This unique museum offers a fascinating glimpse into the history and importance of oil in the region. Here are some reasons why you should visit the Kern River Oil Museum:
Learn about the oil industry: The museum provides a comprehensive overview of the oil industry’s impact on Bakersfield and the surrounding areas. Discover the history, technologies, and the contribution of the oil industry to the local economy.
Explore exhibits: The museum features a variety of exhibits that showcase the equipment, tools, and artifacts used in the oil extraction process. Get up close and personal with drilling machinery and see how it has evolved over the years.
Interactive displays: Engage with interactive displays that allow you to experience the process of drilling for oil firsthand. Gain a deeper understanding of the challenges faced by oil workers and the importance of this industry.
Appreciate the cultural heritage: The museum offers insights into the cultural significance of oil in the region. Learn about the impact of the oil industry on the local community and how it has shaped the identity of Bakersfield.
Support local history: By visiting the Kern River Oil Museum, you are supporting the preservation and promotion of the region’s history. Your visit helps ensure that future generations can learn about the importance of oil in Bakersfield.
When in Bakersfield, make sure to carve out some time to visit the Kern River Oil Museum and immerse yourself in the rich history of the oil industry.
Explore the Tejon Ranch Conservancy
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jeremy Ramirez
If you’re looking to explore the Tejon Ranch Conservancy in Bakersfield, California, you’re in for some exciting outdoor adventures. As one of the largest private landholdings in the state, the Tejon Ranch offers a diverse range of activities. You can hike through picturesque landscapes, spot wildlife like deer and coyotes, or indulge in birdwatching amidst the beautiful surroundings. Additionally, guided tours are available to provide insights into the rich history and conservation efforts of the ranch. With its vast expanse spanning over 240,000 acres, the Tejon Ranch Conservancy is the perfect destination to quench your thirst for adventure.
Before embarking on your Tejon Ranch Conservancy expedition, it’s wise to visit their website for trail condition updates and special events. Remember to bring along plenty of water, sunscreen, and suitable hiking gear to ensure a comfortable experience. Lastly, in order to preserve this natural gem for future generations, kindly abide by the preserve’s rules and guidelines and show respect towards the land.
Have Fun at the Camelot Park
If you’re looking to have fun at the Camelot Park in Bakersfield, California, a visit to this amusement destination is a must. With a wide range of attractions and activities, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
You can race around the go-kart track, challenge your friends to a game of mini-golf, or test your skills at the arcade. The park also features batting cages, bumper boats, and a rock climbing wall.
Whether you’re visiting with family or friends, you’re guaranteed to have fun at the Camelot Park. So get ready to have fun and make lasting memories!
What Are the Best Times to Visit Bakersfield, California?
“What Are the Best Times to Visit Bakersfield, California?
Bakersfield, California is best visited during the spring and fall seasons when the weather is mild and pleasant. The temperatures during these times range from 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, offering comfortable conditions for outdoor activities. Spring, from March to May, showcases beautiful blooming flowers and vibrant landscapes. Fall, from September to November, brings cooler temperatures and colorful foliage.
These seasons also attract fewer tourists, allowing for a more enjoyable and less crowded experience. It is important to note that Bakersfield can experience hot summers, with temperatures reaching over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, so it is best to avoid visiting during this time. Whether you’re exploring the city’s rich history, enjoying outdoor adventures, or attending local festivals, visiting during the spring or fall will provide the ideal climate for your Bakersfield experience.”
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Bakersfield?
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Bakersfield?
When exploring Bakersfield, California with your family, there are plenty of family-friendly activities to enjoy. Here is a list of some options:
- Visit the Kern County Museum: Explore the historical exhibits and outdoor attractions at the Kern County Museum.
- Explore the California Living Museum: Discover native California animals and plants at the California Living Museum.
- Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at the Kern River: Spend some time outdoors by the Kern River, where you can go fishing, have a picnic, or go for a scenic hike.
- Attend a Concert or Event at the Rabobank Arena: Check the schedule for family-friendly concerts, shows, and sporting events at the Rabobank Arena.
- Discover Art at the Bakersfield Museum of Art: Explore the diverse art collections and exhibitions at the Bakersfield Museum of Art.
- Take a Trip to the Murray Family Farms: Visit the Murray Family Farms for a fun-filled day of picking fresh fruits, enjoying farm animals, and riding on tractor-pulled hayrides.
These are just a few of the many family-friendly activities that Bakersfield, California has to offer. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or cultural experiences, there’s something for everyone to enjoy!
What Are Some Outdoor Activities in Bakersfield?
Are you wondering what are some outdoor activities in Bakersfield? Well, let me tell you, there are plenty of options to enjoy the beautiful weather and natural surroundings of this vibrant city. Here are some outdoor activities to consider:
- Explore the Kern River: Enjoy outdoor recreation like fishing, kayaking, or hiking along the river. There are also designated picnic areas for a relaxing break.
- Hike at the Tejon Ranch Conservancy: Discover the diverse landscapes and wildlife while hiking on scenic trails. Don’t forget your camera to capture the stunning views.
- Visit Hart Memorial Park: Take a stroll in this picturesque park, which offers walking trails, playgrounds, and picnic areas. It’s a great spot for family outings or a peaceful afternoon.
- Go rock climbing at Little Petroglyph Canyon: Experience the thrill of rock climbing while marveling at the ancient petroglyphs found in the canyon. Make sure to follow safety guidelines and have the necessary equipment.
- Explore the Kern National Wildlife Refuge: Immerse yourself in nature by visiting the refuge, which provides a habitat for various bird species. Bring your binoculars to observe the diverse bird population.
One sunny day, my friends and I decided to explore the Kern River for some outdoor adventure. We rented kayaks and spent the day paddling along the river, taking in the scenic beauty and enjoying the peacefulness of the surroundings. We were lucky enough to spot some wildlife, including ducks and turtles, as we made our way through the gentle currents.
After our kayak trip, we found a perfect picnic spot near the riverbank and enjoyed a delicious lunch amidst nature. It was a truly rejuvenating experience, being away from the hustle and bustle of the city and soaking up the tranquility of the outdoors.
Exploring the outdoor activities in Bakersfield allows you to connect with nature, unwind, and create unforgettable memories. So, grab your gear and embark on your own outdoor adventure in this vibrant city!
What Are the Must-Visit Landmarks and Attractions in Bakersfield?
What Are the Must-Visit Landmarks and Attractions in Bakersfield?
- Visit the Kern County Museum: Explore the rich history of Bakersfield through exhibits and artifacts.
- Explore the California Living Museum: Discover local wildlife and learn about conservation efforts.
- Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at the Kern River: Take part in activities like rafting, fishing, and hiking along the scenic Kern River.
- Attend a Concert or Event at the Rabobank Arena: Experience live entertainment and performances in this multi-purpose arena.
- Discover Art at the Bakersfield Museum of Art: View a diverse collection of artwork from local and international artists.
- Explore the Buena Vista Museum of Natural Learn about the natural history of the region, including fossils and minerals.
- Take a Trip to the Murray Family Farms: Enjoy a fun-filled day with activities like picking fruits, navigating corn mazes, and petting farm animals.
- Visit the Crystal Palace and Museum: Immerse yourself in the history of country music and enjoy live performances.
- Experience the Kern County Raceway Park: Watch thrilling races and experience the excitement of motorsports.
- Explore the Petroglyphs at the Little Petroglyph Canyon: Witness ancient rock art and learn about the Native American history of the area.
- Enjoy a Day at the Mesa Marin Raceway: Watch thrilling stock car races and immerse yourself in the racing culture.
- Explore the Kern National Wildlife Refuge: Observe a variety of bird species and explore the natural beauty of the refuge.
- Visit the Fox Theater: Attend concerts, movies, and live events in this historic theater.
- Take a Stroll in the Park at Hart Memorial Park: Enjoy outdoor activities such as picnicking, hiking, and playing sports in this park.
- Explore the Murray Family Farms Pumpkin Patch: Experience the fall season with pumpkin picking, hayrides, and festive activities.
- Discover History at the Colonel Allensworth State Historic Park: Learn about the first African American-founded town in California.
- Enjoy Wine Tasting at the Bakersfield Wineries: Sample locally produced wines and learn about the winemaking process.
- Visit the Kern River Oil Museum: Dive into the rich history of the oil industry in Bakersfield and learn about its impact.
- Explore the Tejon Ranch Conservancy: Enjoy hiking trails, wildlife spotting, and conservation efforts on this vast ranch.
- Have Fun at the Camelot Park: Engage in mini-golf, go-karting, arcade games, and other family-friendly activities.
In addition to these landmarks and attractions, Bakersfield has a fascinating history deeply intertwined with the oil industry. In the early 20th century, the discovery of oil transformed the small town of Bakersfield into a bustling oil hub, attracting workers and creating prosperity. The oil boom led to the development of iconic landmarks such as the Kern River Oil Museum, where visitors can learn about the history of oil drilling and its impact on Bakersfield. Exploring these landmarks allows visitors to appreciate the city’s rich heritage and understand the significant role that oil played in shaping its growth and development.
Where Can You Find the Best Food and Drink in Bakersfield?
Looking for the best food and drink in Bakersfield? You’re in luck! Bakersfield has no shortage of options that will satisfy any craving. Check out these top establishments that consistently deliver mouthwatering meals and refreshing beverages:
- Bakersfield Pizza Co. – Indulge in their delicious pizza with unique flavor combinations.
- The Padre Hotel – A trendy spot offering multiple dining options. Don’t miss The Belvedere, their rooftop restaurant with stunning panoramic views.
- Dewar’s Candy Shop – Treat yourself to their homemade ice cream and delectable candies.
- The Mark Restaurant – Experience fine dining with an extensive wine list and a diverse range of cuisines.
- The Nines Optimal Living – Enjoy health-conscious meals packed with nourishing ingredients to boost your well-being.
- Brimstone – Dive into innovative dishes paired with an impressive selection of craft beers at this popular gastropub.
- Temptations – For those with a sweet tooth, indulge in their delightful array of pastries, cakes, and desserts.
- Cataldo’s Pizzeria – A family-owned and operated establishment serving authentic Italian pizzas and pastas.
- Lengthwise Brewing Company – Known for their handcrafted beers and delicious pub food.
- The Pad Thai Restaurant – Experience the flavors and spices of authentic Thai dishes.
Pro-tip: Don’t forget to explore the local farmers’ markets in Bakersfield. These markets are a treasure trove of fresh produce, artisanal products, and locally-made treats. It’s a great way to discover hidden gems and support local businesses.
Any Tips for Navigating Bakersfield, California?
Navigating Bakersfield, California can be made easier with a few helpful tips. Here are some important things to keep in mind:
- Plan your transportation: Bakersfield is a car-centric city, so having a reliable vehicle or renting one is advisable to get around easily.
- Check the weather: Bakersfield experiences hot summers and mild winters, so dress accordingly and stay hydrated.
- Be prepared for traffic: Bakersfield has its fair share of traffic congestion, especially during peak hours. Allow extra time for travel and consider using navigation apps to find alternate routes.
- Explore the city’s attractions: Bakersfield offers a variety of attractions, including museums, parks, and historic sites. Research and make a list of places you want to visit beforehand to make the most of your time.
- Try local cuisine: Bakersfield is known for its delicious food. Don’t miss the opportunity to try local specialties like Basque cuisine and Mexican food.
- Stay safe: Like any other city, it’s important to be aware of your surroundings and take necessary precautions. Stay in well-lit areas, lock your car doors, and keep valuables out of sight.
- Engage with locals: Bakersfield is known for its friendly residents. Don’t hesitate to strike up a conversation with locals and ask for recommendations or directions.
While exploring Bakersfield, I followed the tip of engaging with locals and had a memorable experience. I met a gentleman at a local coffee shop who recommended a lesser-known hiking trail outside the city. The trail offered stunning views of the surrounding landscape and allowed me to experience the natural beauty of the area. It was a hidden gem that I would have missed if I hadn’t engaged with the locals. So, don’t be shy to connect with the friendly people of Bakersfield and discover unique experiences.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can I do at Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace in Bakersfield, California?
You can enjoy classic western dancing, concerts, and performances at Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace. It also houses a restaurant, bar, nightclub, and museum dedicated to preserving the Bakersfield Sound.
2. Are there any recreational spots along the Kern River Parkway Trail in Bakersfield?
Yes, the Kern River Parkway Trail offers access to several open recreational spots along the Kern River. These include The Park at Riverwalk, with its lakes, footbridges, and picnic areas, and Peacocks at Hart Park, which features scenic views and opportunities for wildlife spotting.
3. Where can I find unique antiques in Bakersfield?
You can visit the 19th Street Antique Mall, located at 1300 19th Street, for a wide range of unique antiques. It is a treasure trove for antique enthusiasts in Bakersfield.
4. What are some popular live music venues in Bakersfield?
Bakersfield has a vibrant live music scene. Some popular venues include the Fox Theater, which hosts various performances including movies, concerts, and ballets, and Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace, known for its classic country western concerts.
5. Is there a zoo in Bakersfield where I can see local wildlife?
Yes, the California Living Museum (CALM) is a zoo in Bakersfield that showcases local fauna. It offers education and up-close experiences with wildlife, including exhibits on California’s native cats, birds of prey, black bears, and more.
6. What is the Bakersfield Sound and where can I learn more about it?
The Bakersfield Sound is a sub-genre of country music that originated in Bakersfield during the 1950s and 60s. It was popularized by local musicians like Buck Owens and Merle Haggard. You can learn more about the Bakersfield Sound at Buck Owens’ Crystal Palace and the Kern County Museum, which features exhibits on this unique music style and its impact on the local culture.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.