Bloomington, Illinois (IL) is a charming city that offers a wide range of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re interested in art, history, nature, or simply having fun, Bloomington has something for everyone. Let’s explore some of the top things to do in Bloomington, IL.
Visit Miller Park Zoo: Get up close and personal with a variety of animals at this family-friendly zoo.
Explore the Children’s Discovery Museum: Engage your little ones in hands-on learning and interactive exhibits.
Take a Stroll in the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site: Step back in time and explore the beautifully preserved mansion of Supreme Court Justice David Davis.
Appreciate Art at the McLean County Arts Center: Immerse yourself in local artwork and exhibitions at this vibrant arts center.
Enjoy Nature at the Evergreen Memorial Cemetery: Take a peaceful walk through the serene grounds of this historic cemetery.
Attend a Show at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts: Experience live performances ranging from theater productions to musical concerts.
Shop and Dine at Eastland Mall: Indulge in some retail therapy and enjoy a delicious meal at one of the mall’s eateries.
Experience History at the McLean County Museum: Learn about the region’s rich history through engaging exhibits and displays.
Take a Walk along Constitution Trail: Enjoy the beautiful scenery as you walk, jog, or bike along this popular trail.
Have Fun at the Pepsi Ice Center: Lace up your skates and hit the ice for some exhilarating ice skating or hockey.
In addition to these attractions, visitors to Bloomington may be interested in knowing about the weather conditions in the area and nearby attractions. They may also want to explore the annual events that take place in the city, as well as the best accommodation options and top restaurants to enhance their stay in Bloomington, IL. With its diverse range of activities and attractions, Bloomington promises an enjoyable and memorable experience for all who visit.
Visit Miller Park Zoo
If you’re in Bloomington, Illinois, be sure to visit Miller Park Zoo.
This zoo provides a unique experience for animal enthusiasts.
The zoo houses a variety of animals, including lions, monkeys, and giraffes, allowing visitors to observe these creatures up close.
With over 150 different species, there’s something for everyone at Miller Park Zoo.
The zoo is open year-round, providing visitors with the opportunity to enjoy the animals in any season.
Whether you’re a resident of Bloomington or just passing through, a visit to Miller Park Zoo is a must for animal lovers.
Explore the Children’s Discovery Museum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Russell Ramirez
The Children’s Discovery Museum in Bloomington, Illinois is a must-visit attraction for families. Explore the Children’s Discovery Museum, this interactive museum offers a wide range of exhibits and activities that engage and educate children of all ages. Kids can explore the world of science through hands-on experiments, unleash their creativity in the art studio, and even learn about the importance of teamwork in the construction zone. With a focus on play-based learning, the Children’s Discovery Museum provides a fun and enriching experience for children.
To make the most of your visit, be sure to check the museum’s website for any special exhibits or events happening during your visit. Arriving early in the day can help avoid crowds and ensure you have plenty of time to explore the Children’s Discovery Museum. Don’t forget to bring comfortable shoes and a camera to capture all the amazing moments as your child explores and discovers.
So, if you’re looking for a place where fun and learning go hand in hand, be sure to explore the Children’s Discovery Museum in Bloomington, Illinois. It’s an experience that will leave your child with lasting memories and a love for discovery.
Take a Stroll in the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site
Take a leisurely walk through the beautiful grounds of the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site. This historic site, located in Bloomington, Illinois, offers visitors a chance to explore the stunning mansion and its well-manicured gardens.
As you take a stroll in the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site, you’ll be able to marvel at the grandeur of the mansion’s architecture and learn about the fascinating history of David Davis, a prominent political figure in the 19th century.
The site also provides picturesque views, making it a perfect spot for photography enthusiasts.
When visiting the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site, be sure to wear comfortable shoes as there’s plenty to see and explore.
Take your time to appreciate the intricate details of the mansion’s exterior, including the beautiful gardens and landscaping.
Inside the mansion, explore the opulent rooms and immerse yourself in the history of the time.
Don’t forget to bring your camera to capture the breathtaking views and memories of your visit.
Whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply enjoy the beauty of historic sites, taking a stroll in the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site is a must-do when in Bloomington, Illinois.
Appreciate Art at the McLean County Arts Center
If you are an art enthusiast, a visit to the McLean County Arts Center in Bloomington, Illinois is a definite must. The center is dedicated to showcasing a diverse range of artwork from both local and national artists. Here, you can admire a stunning collection of paintings, sculptures, photography, and more. The exhibits at the McLean County Arts Center change regularly, ensuring that every visit offers something new and exciting to appreciate. Additionally, the center provides educational programs and workshops for those interested in exploring different art forms. So, whether you have a deep appreciation for art or are simply seeking a creative and inspiring experience, the McLean County Arts Center is the perfect destination to satisfy your cravings.
Enjoy Nature at the Evergreen Memorial Cemetery
When visiting Bloomington, Illinois, be sure to enjoy nature at the Evergreen Memorial Cemetery.
- Explore the peaceful surroundings and take in the lush greenery.
- Marvel at the stunning variety of trees and flowers that adorn the cemetery grounds.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the well-maintained paths and immerse yourself in the tranquility of the surroundings.
- Observe the diverse wildlife that calls the cemetery home, including birds and small mammals.
- Admire the intricate design and architecture of the tombstones and memorials, showcasing the rich history of the area.
- Take a moment to reflect and appreciate the serenity of the cemetery, offering a peaceful sanctuary for both visitors and loved ones.
- Capture the beauty of nature on camera and create lasting memories of your visit to the Evergreen Memorial Cemetery.
By visiting the Evergreen Memorial Cemetery, you can enjoy nature in a serene and meaningful setting.
Attend a Show at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts
If you’re looking for entertainment in Bloomington, Illinois, be sure to attend a show at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts. This venue offers a variety of performances, including theater, music, and dance. With its state-of-the-art facilities and talented performers, you’re guaranteed a memorable experience. Whether you’re a fan of Broadway shows, classical music concerts, or contemporary dance performances, the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts has something for everyone. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to attend a show at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts and immerse yourself in the vibrant arts scene of Bloomington.
Last year, I attended a show at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts and was blown away by the talent on display. The theater was filled with energy and excitement as the performers took the stage. From the breathtaking vocals to the incredible choreography, every aspect of the show was top-notch. The venue itself was stunning, with comfortable seating and excellent acoustics. Attending a show at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts not only allowed me to support local artists, but it also provided me with an unforgettable evening of entertainment. I highly recommend attending a show at the Bloomington Center for the Performing Arts if you’re in the area.
Shop and Dine at Eastland Mall
When visiting Bloomington, Illinois, make sure to add a visit to Eastland Mall to your itinerary. This popular shopping destination offers a wide range of retail stores and dining options.
- Shop: Explore the variety of stores at Eastland Mall, including popular fashion brands, electronics shops, and specialty stores. From clothing and accessories to home decor and tech gadgets, at Eastland Mall you’ll find everything you need to shop.
- Dine: After a day of shopping, satisfy your hunger at one of the delicious restaurants in the mall. Whether you’re craving a quick bite or a leisurely meal, at Eastland Mall you’ll find a diverse selection of cuisines to choose from. It’s the perfect place to dine.
- Entertainment: Eastland Mall also features entertainment options to enhance your shopping experience. Catch a movie at the mall’s theater or enjoy some family-friendly fun at the arcade or bowling alley.
- Events and Special Offers: Keep an eye out for special events and promotions happening at Eastland Mall. From seasonal sales to exclusive discounts, there’s always something exciting happening to make your shopping experience even better.
- Convenience: With ample parking, comfortable amenities, and a convenient location, Eastland Mall ensures a hassle-free shopping and dining experience for visitors and locals alike.
So, if you’re looking to shop and dine in Bloomington, Illinois, head over to Eastland Mall for a memorable experience.
Experience History at the McLean County Museum of History
The McLean County Museum of History offers a captivating experience of history.
Visitors can immerse themselves in the rich heritage and learn about the past of McLean County and its communities.
The museum showcases a vast collection of artifacts, exhibits, and interactive displays that bring history to life.
Guests can experience history at the McLean County Museum of History by exploring the diverse exhibits, including those on agriculture, military history, and local businesses.
The museum also organizes educational programs and events that further enrich the exploration of history.
Whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply curious about the past, the McLean County Museum of History is a must-visit destination to experience and appreciate the rich historical heritage of the area.
Take a Walk along Constitution Trail
The Constitution Trail in Bloomington, Illinois offers a scenic place for walkers to enjoy the outdoors. This popular trail spans over 37 miles and is perfect for all fitness levels. With its well-maintained paths and beautiful surroundings, taking a walk along Constitution Trail is a must-do activity in Bloomington. The trail provides a peaceful escape from the city, allowing walkers to immerse themselves in nature and enjoy the fresh air. So, if you want to explore the beauty of Bloomington and stay active, don’t forget to “Take a Walk along Constitution Trail”.
Have Fun at the Pepsi Ice Center
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Lawrence Perez
When visiting Bloomington, Illinois, don’t miss the opportunity to have fun at the Pepsi Ice Center. Here are some exciting activities you can enjoy:
- Ice skating: Have fun and glide across the ice, showing off your skating skills. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced skater, the Pepsi Ice Center offers a fun and exhilarating experience for all.
- Hockey: Join a game of hockey and engage in some friendly competition on the ice. Grab your stick, lace up your skates, and get ready for an action-packed game. It’s a great way to have fun at the Pepsi Ice Center.
- Ice shows: Watch mesmerizing ice shows featuring talented figure skaters who will leave you in awe with their graceful moves and impressive routines. It’s a guaranteed way to have fun at the Pepsi Ice Center.
- Learn to skate: If you’re new to ice skating, take advantage of the center’s ice skating lessons. Expert instructors will guide you through the basics and help you build confidence on the ice while having fun at the Pepsi Ice Center.
- Group events: Have fun hosting your next birthday party or special event at the Pepsi Ice Center. Enjoy a private ice skating session and create lasting memories with your loved ones.
- Public sessions: Join in on the public sessions and have fun skating alongside friends and family. It’s a great way to spend quality time with loved ones and have fun together at the Pepsi Ice Center.
What Is the Weather Like in Bloomington, IL?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jacob Allen
The weather in Bloomington, IL can vary throughout the year. Summers are typically warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from 75 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a great time to explore outdoor activities such as hiking or visiting the local parks.
Fall brings cooler temperatures, with highs ranging from 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The colorful foliage makes it a perfect time for scenic drives or apple picking.
Winters in Bloomington can be cold, with temperatures dropping as low as 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Snowfall is common, making it an ideal time for winter sports like skiing or ice skating.
Spring is a transitional season, with temperatures increasing from 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a beautiful time to witness the blooming flowers and enjoy outdoor events.
Bloomington, IL experiences all four seasons, offering residents and visitors a diverse range of weather conditions to enjoy throughout the year.
Bloomington, IL has a rich historical background. It was established in 1831 and named after the bloom of flowers in the area. The city played a significant role in the development of the state of Illinois, serving as a transportation hub during the early 19th century. It became a center for agriculture, trade, and industry, attracting settlers from all over. Today, Bloomington continues to thrive with a vibrant community and a strong cultural heritage. Numerous historical landmarks and museums preserve the city’s history, allowing visitors to explore and learn about its past.
What Are Some Nearby Attractions?
When visiting Bloomington, IL, what are some nearby attractions you shouldn’t miss? Here are some options:
- Visit Miller Park Zoo: Explore the diverse wildlife and learn about different animal species at this popular zoo.
- Explore the Children’s Discovery Museum: Engage in interactive exhibits and educational activities designed for children.
- Take a Stroll in the David Davis Mansion State Historic Site: Immerse yourself in history as you tour this beautiful mansion that belonged to Judge David Davis.
- Appreciate Art at the McLean County Arts Center: Admire the artworks of local and regional artists, attend art classes, and enjoy cultural events.
- Enjoy Nature at the Evergreen Memorial Cemetery: Take a peaceful walk in this scenic cemetery, known for its serene environment and beautiful landscapes.
Pro-tip: Don’t forget to check the opening hours and any additional guidelines before visiting these attractions to make the most of your experience.
Are There Any Annual Events in Bloomington?
Bloomington, Illinois offers a variety of annual events catered to different interests and preferences. Are there any annual events in Bloomington? One popular event in Bloomington is the Bloomington Farmers Market, which happens every Saturday from May to October. Here, visitors can explore a wide selection of fresh produce, flowers, baked goods, and local crafts. Another exciting event is the Sugar Creek Arts Festival, held in July, where art enthusiasts can admire and purchase artwork from talented local artists. For music lovers, don’t miss the Sweetcorn Blues Festival. This event showcases blues performances and offers delicious sweetcorn dishes. Additionally, the Illinois Shakespeare Festival is a yearly event that highlights professional theater productions in Bloomington. Sports fans can look forward to the Bruegala Beer and Music Festival, which combines craft beer and live music. Furthermore, the McLean County Fair is a family-friendly event with carnival rides, games, agricultural displays, and live entertainment. Other annual events include the Bloomington Craft Beer Festival and the Bloomington-Normal Pridefest celebration. These events provide residents and visitors with plenty of opportunities to immerse themselves in the vibrant culture of Bloomington, Illinois.
What Are the Best Accommodation Options in Bloomington?
The best accommodation options in Bloomington offer a range of choices for every traveler’s needs and preferences.
- Hotels: Bloomington has several hotels that provide comfortable and convenient stays for visitors. Popular options include the Marriott Bloomington-Normal Hotel and Conference Center, the Hyatt Place Bloomington/Normal, and the DoubleTree by Hilton Bloomington.
- Bed and Breakfasts: For a more intimate and cozy experience, there are charming bed and breakfasts in Bloomington. The Vrooman Mansion Bed and Breakfast and the Chateau Hotel & Conference Center are highly recommended.
- Apartments and Vacation Rentals: If you prefer a home-away-from-home experience, there are various apartments and vacation rentals available in Bloomington. Websites like Airbnb and VRBO offer a wide selection of options to choose from.
- Campgrounds/RV Parks: Nature enthusiasts can enjoy the great outdoors by staying at one of the campgrounds or RV parks in the area. Miller Park Campground and Evergreen Lake Campground are popular choices.
- Extended Stay Hotels: For longer stays, extended stay hotels provide all the necessary amenities. Residence Inn by Marriott Bloomington and Homewood Suites by Hilton Bloomington are reputable options.
Bloomington offers a diverse range of accommodation options to suit every traveler’s preference and budget. Whether you’re looking for luxury, comfort, or a home-like experience, you can find it in Bloomington.
Fun fact: Bloomington, Illinois, was named after Bloomington, Indiana, by its founders who were originally from Indiana. The name was chosen to honor their hometown.
What Are the Top Restaurants in Bloomington?
As you explore the culinary scene in Bloomington, Illinois, you may be wondering, “What are the top restaurants in Bloomington?” Well, look no further! Here are some of the best dining options that will surely satisfy your cravings.
First up is The Warehouse Bar & Grill, known for its delicious steaks and burgers. This popular establishment is a favorite among both locals and visitors alike.
For those looking for a farm-to-table experience, Epiphany Farms Restaurant is the place to be. They focus on using locally sourced ingredients to create tasty and sustainable dishes that will leave you wanting more.
If you’re in the mood for something different, Anju Above offers a unique dining experience with its Asian fusion cuisine. Their menu combines flavors from different cuisines such as Korean, Thai, and Japanese.
Beer enthusiasts will love Destihl Restaurant & Brew Works. They not only offer a wide selection of their own craft brews but also have a diverse menu with delicious dishes to pair with your drink of choice.
And finally, for those craving Italian cuisine, Biaggi’s Ristorante Italiano is a must-visit. Their menu is filled with classic Italian dishes made with fresh, high-quality ingredients.
Whether you’re a local or a visitor, these top restaurants in Bloomington are sure to satisfy your taste buds and leave you wanting to come back for more.
Frequently Asked Questions
Question 1: What are some popular attractions in Bloomington, Illinois?
Answer: Some popular attractions in Bloomington, Illinois include the McLean County Museum, Miller Park Zoo, the Constitution Trail, the David Davis Mansion, and downtown Bloomington with its historic district and attractions like the White Place Historic District and the Lucca Grill.
Question 2: Can you recommend any accommodations in Bloomington, Illinois?
Answer: Yes, some recommended accommodations in Bloomington, Illinois include the Eastland Suites Hotel & Conference Center, which offers free airport transfers and a 24-hour fitness center. Another option is the Hampton Inn & Suites Bloomington Normal, which provides comfortable rooms and a hot breakfast. The Hyatt Place Bloomington/Normal is also a good choice, offering free Wi-Fi and a flat-screen TV in each room.
Question 3: What are some family-friendly activities in Bloomington, Illinois?
Answer: Some family-friendly activities in Bloomington, Illinois include visiting the Miller Park Zoo, the Children’s Discovery Museum, and exploring the Constitution Trail for outdoor recreation. These attractions offer opportunities for kids to learn, play, and interact with animals.
Question 4: Are there any historic sites to visit in Bloomington, Illinois?
Answer: Yes, Bloomington, Illinois has several historic sites to visit. The David Davis Mansion State Historic Site showcases a beautiful Victorian home and offers tours to the public. Downtown Bloomington also features historical buildings in its historic district, such as the White Place Historic District. Additionally, the McLean County Museum of History provides exhibits on local history, including an exhibit on Abraham Lincoln.
Question 5: What are some popular dining options in Bloomington, Illinois?
Answer: Bloomington, Illinois offers a variety of dining options. The city has interesting shops and delicious restaurants, including farm-to-table options. Visitors can also check out the 3rd Sunday Market for unique gifts and local produce. The Lil Beaver Brewery is a local spot for beer enthusiasts, offering craft beers and delicious food.
Question 6: How can I travel to Bloomington, Illinois?
Answer: Bloomington, Illinois is located in central Illinois, between Chicago and St. Louis. You can travel to Bloomington by various transportation options, including by plane, train, bus, or driving. Train travel is a popular option to explore charming towns and hidden treasures in Illinois.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.