Clarksville, Tennessee (TN) is a vibrant city with a rich history and a wide range of attractions to explore. Whether you are a nature enthusiast, history buff, art lover, or simply looking for some outdoor adventure, Clarksville has something for everyone. From scenic parks to cultural museums, from vibrant downtown districts to lively festivals, here are some of the top things to do in Clarksville, Tennessee.
1. Visit the Dunbar Cave State Park: Explore the wonders of this natural treasure, featuring hiking trails, cave tours, and a beautiful lake perfect for boating and fishing.
2. Explore the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center: Immerse yourself in the world of art, history, and culture through the various exhibits and collections housed in this renowned museum.
3. Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Liberty Park and Marina: Experience the beauty of the outdoors with activities like walking trails, picnicking, fishing, and even paddleboarding on the Cumberland River.
4. Discover History at Fort Defiance Civil War Park & Interpretive Center: Step back in time and learn about the significant role that Clarksville played during the Civil War through interactive exhibits and historical reenactments.
5. Take a Stroll on the Riverwalk: Enjoy a leisurely walk along the scenic Riverwalk, offering picturesque views of the river, lush greenery, and charming bridges.
6. Check Out the Downtown Pedestrian District: Wander through the vibrant downtown district, lined with unique shops, boutiques, and local restaurants, offering a perfect blend of shopping and dining experiences.
7. Experience the Roxy Regional Theatre: Catch a show at this historic theatre, showcasing a variety of plays, musicals, and live performances throughout the year.
8. Shop and Dine at the Downtown Market: Indulge in a shopping spree at the Downtown Market, featuring a wide array of local vendors offering fresh produce, handmade crafts, and delicious food.
9. Attend the Rivers & Spires Festival: Immerse yourself in the lively atmosphere of this annual festival, featuring live music, art exhibits, food vendors, carnival rides, and much more.
10. Visit the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery: Take a tour of this scenic winery, located just outside of Clarksville, and sample their award-winning wines while enjoying the picturesque vineyard views.
To reach Clarksville, Tennessee, you can access the city through the nearby Nashville International Airport or by driving via the major highways in the area. Plan your visit based on the best times to experience pleasant weather and to coincide with local events and festivals. there are several other attractions near Clarksville that you can explore, making it an ideal base for day trips and further exploration. Accommodation options in Clarksville range from cozy bed and breakfasts to modern hotels, ensuring a comfortable stay for every visitor.
Visit the Dunbar Cave State Park
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Adam Thompson
Dunbar Cave State Park is a must-visit destination in Clarksville, Tennessee. Visit the Dunbar Cave State Park to explore the largest cave entrance in the state. The cave itself is a natural wonder, with impressive rock formations and a rich history. Visitors can take guided tours to learn about the cave’s geology and the various species that inhabit it. In addition to cave exploration, the park also has hiking trails, picnic areas, and a 110-acre lake for boating and fishing. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast or simply looking for a unique experience, a visit to Dunbar Cave State Park is sure to be memorable.
Fun Fact: The entrance to Dunbar Cave is a whopping 55 feet tall, making it one of the largest cave entrances in the eastern United States. So, get ready to be awed by the grandeur of nature at this remarkable state park. Visit the Dunbar Cave State Park today!
Explore the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center
The Customs House Museum and Cultural Center in Clarksville, Tennessee invites you to explore its unique and enriching experience. As a visitor, you can immerse yourself in various exhibits that showcase the rich history, arts, and culture of the region. With over 35,000 square feet of galleries, including the engaging Children’s House, this museum is truly a sight to behold. In addition to its beautifully restored building, the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center also hosts special events and educational programs. These opportunities allow you to engage with the exhibits and learn more about the local heritage. Whether you have a passion for art, history, or are simply eager to absorb the vibrant culture of Clarksville, a visit to the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center is a must.
Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Liberty Park and Marina
To enjoy outdoor activities at Liberty Park and Marina, visitors have a wide range of options to choose from.
- Hiking: Explore the scenic trails that wind through Liberty Park, offering stunning views of the surrounding nature.
- Water sports: Engage in thrilling water activities such as kayaking, paddleboarding, or fishing in the marina.
- Picnicking: Pack a delicious lunch and enjoy a relaxing picnic amidst the peaceful surroundings.
- Biking: Take advantage of the designated biking paths to enjoy a leisurely ride through the park.
- Playgrounds: Let children have a blast at the playgrounds, equipped with swings, slides, and other exciting play structures.
- Sports fields: Engage in friendly matches of soccer, basketball, or tennis at the well-maintained sports fields.
- Boating: Rent a boat or sailboat and spend the day gliding across the beautiful waters of the marina.
- Bird-watching: Observe a variety of bird species that inhabit the park and marina, making it a bird-watcher’s paradise.
With its stunning natural beauty and recreational opportunities, Liberty Park and Marina is the perfect destination for outdoor enthusiasts to enjoy a day filled with fun and adventure.
Discover History at Fort Defiance Civil War Park & Interpretive Center
Fort Defiance Civil War Park & Interpretive Center
offers a unique opportunity to discover history.
Explore the fortification and learn about its role in the defense of Clarksville.
The park showcases the significance of the Civil War era through exhibits, artifacts, and educational programs.
Visitors can also gain valuable insights into the lives of soldiers and civilians during the war at the
Additionally, the park features beautiful trails and picnic areas, creating a serene environment for visitors.
Plan a visit to
Fort Defiance Civil War Park & Interpretive Center
to have an engaging and informative experience, while discovering the rich history it holds.
Take a Stroll on the Riverwalk
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Russell Martinez
and immerse yourself in the peaceful ambiance.
Last summer, I made the decision to visit Clarksville, Tennessee to explore its attractions.
One standout experience from my trip was when I took a leisurely stroll on the Riverwalk.
This picturesque pathway runs alongside the Cumberland River and offers breathtaking views of the river and surrounding nature.
As I walked along the well-maintained path, I couldn’t help but be amazed by the stunning vistas of the Cumberland River and the lush greenery that enveloped it.
The gentle breeze and the calming sound of flowing water created a soothing atmosphere, making the Riverwalk the perfect place to unwind and connect with nature.
Along the way, I found various benches where I could sit, relax, and take in the scenery.
It was truly a memorable experience, one that I highly recommend to anyone visiting Clarksville.
So, if you have the chance, don’t miss the opportunity to take a stroll on the Riverwalk and indulge in its tranquility and natural beauty.
Check Out the Downtown Pedestrian District
The downtown pedestrian district in Clarksville, Tennessee is a must-see when visiting the city. Make sure to check out this vibrant and lively area during your visit to Clarksville. This vibrant area offers a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options for visitors to enjoy. Stroll along the lively streets and take in the charming atmosphere of this bustling district. The pedestrian-friendly layout makes it easy to explore the area on foot and discover unique local businesses. Whether you’re looking for a delicious meal, a shopping spree, or simply a pleasant walk, the downtown pedestrian district has something for everyone. So make sure to check out the downtown pedestrian district and experience all it has to offer.
Experience the Roxy Regional Theatre
To fully experience the Roxy Regional Theatre in Clarksville, Tennessee, follow these steps:
Check the schedule: Experience the Roxy Regional Theatre that offers a diverse range of productions, from classic plays to contemporary performances.
Secure your tickets: Make sure to book your tickets in advance to guarantee your spot at the show and experience the Roxy Regional Theatre.
Arrive early: Arriving early allows you to explore the beautiful historic building and soak in the ambiance of the Roxy Regional Theatre.
Enjoy the performance: Sit back, relax, and immerse yourself in the captivating storytelling and talented performances at the Roxy Regional Theatre.
Appreciate the intimate setting: Experience the Roxy Regional Theatre’s intimate setting where you can feel close to the action on stage.
Engage with the community: The theater regularly hosts events and activities that allow you to connect with other theater enthusiasts and experience the Roxy Regional Theatre.
Support local talent: Experience the Roxy Regional Theatre known for nurturing local talent, so by attending their shows, you are supporting the arts community in Clarksville.
Experience the Roxy Regional Theatre and discover the magic of live theater in the heart of Clarksville.
Shop and Dine at the Downtown Market
If you’re visiting Clarksville, Tennessee, a must-do activity is to shop and dine at the downtown market. Here are some reasons why:
- Support local businesses: By shopping and dining at the downtown market, you are supporting local entrepreneurs and artisans.
- Fresh and unique products: The downtown market offers a variety of fresh produce, locally made crafts, and unique culinary experiences.
- Discover hidden gems: Explore the market stalls and discover hidden gems such as handmade jewelry, vintage clothing, and one-of-a-kind artwork.
- Taste local flavors: Indulge in the diverse flavors of Clarksville by trying dishes from the local food vendors and restaurants at the market.
- Engage with the community: The downtown market is a hub of activity where locals and tourists come together to socialize, make connections, and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere.
Whether you’re looking for souvenirs, a delicious meal, or just want to immerse yourself in the local culture, shopping and dining at the downtown market in Clarksville is a must-do experience.
Attend the Rivers & Spires Festival
If you’re looking for a fun event to attend the Rivers & Spires Festival in Clarksville, Tennessee, make sure to attend the Rivers & Spires Festival. This festival offers a vibrant atmosphere filled with live music, delicious food, and exciting activities for people of all ages. You can explore a variety of food vendors, indulge in local cuisine, and enjoy performances by talented musicians. The festival also features arts and crafts booths, where you can discover unique handmade products. Bring your family and friends to enjoy the festive atmosphere and create lasting memories. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to experience the Rivers & Spires Festival in Clarksville!
Visit the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery
When visiting the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery, be sure to visit the famous Beachaven Vineyards & Winery.
- Experience: Visiting the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery offers a unique opportunity to explore a local winery.
- Tours: Take a guided tour of the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery to learn about the winemaking process.
- Tastings: Enjoy wine tastings of their award-winning wines, including reds, whites, and rosés at the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery.
- Events: Attend special events hosted by the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery, such as wine festivals or live music performances.
- Relaxation: Spend time in the picturesque surroundings of the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery, take a stroll through the vineyards, or relax on their outdoor patio.
- Wine purchase: Don’t forget to purchase your favorite wines to take home and enjoy from the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery.
Visiting the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery is a fantastic way to immerse yourself in the world of wine and indulge in a delightful wine tasting experience.
How to Get to Clarksville, Tennessee?
To find out how to Get to Clarksville, Tennessee, follow these steps:
- By Air: The most convenient way to reach Clarksville is by flying into Nashville International Airport. From there, you can rent a car or take a shuttle to Clarksville, which is approximately 50 miles away.
- By Car: If you prefer to drive, you can reach Clarksville via Interstate 24. From the north, take Interstate 65 and then merge onto I-24 east. From the south, take I-65 north and then merge onto I-24 east. Follow the signs for Clarksville to reach your destination.
- By Bus: Another option is to take a bus to Clarksville. Greyhound operates bus services to Clarksville from various cities across the United States. Check the Greyhound website for schedules and ticket information.
- By Train: While Clarksville does not have its own train station, you can take a train to nearby Nashville. From there, you can rent a car or take a bus to reach Clarksville.
Whether you choose to fly, drive, take a bus, or even a train, there are multiple options available to get to Clarksville, Tennessee. It’s important to consider your preferences, budget, and convenience when deciding on the best method of transportation.
What Are the Best Times to Visit Clarksville?
The best times to visit Clarksville, Tennessee are during the spring and fall seasons.
- Spring: During the months of March to May, Clarksville experiences mild temperatures and blooming flowers. This is a great time to explore outdoor attractions such as the Dunbar Cave State Park and Liberty Park and Marina. The pleasant weather also makes it ideal for strolling along the Riverwalk and enjoying the downtown pedestrian district.
- Fall: From September to November, Clarksville offers beautiful foliage colors and comfortable temperatures. It is a perfect time to visit attractions like the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center, Fort Defiance Civil War Park & Interpretive Center, and the Beachaven Vineyards & Winery. The Rivers & Spires Festival, held in April, is a must-attend event during fall.
Both spring and fall provide pleasant weather conditions for outdoor activities and sightseeing in Clarksville. However, it is important to note that these periods may vary based on personal preferences and the specific events or attractions you wish to experience.
What Are Some Other Attractions Near Clarksville?
What Are Some Other Attractions Near Clarksville? Some other attractions near Clarksville include the Dunbar Cave State Park, the Customs House Museum and Cultural Center, Liberty Park and Marina, and Fort Defiance Civil War Park & Interpretive Center. The Dunbar Cave State Park, situated nearby, offers visitors the opportunity to explore a fascinating limestone cave and enjoy various outdoor activities such as hiking and picnicking. The Customs House Museum and Cultural Center, another noteworthy attraction, showcases art, history, and science exhibits, providing a unique cultural experience. For outdoor enthusiasts, Liberty Park and Marina is a perfect destination with its beautiful lake, walking trails, and recreational facilities. Additionally, Fort Defiance Civil War Park & Interpretive Center is a historical site that provides insights into the Civil War era through exhibits, artifacts, and guided tours.
In addition to these attractions, visitors can take a relaxing stroll along the Riverwalk, a scenic pathway that winds alongside the Cumberland River. Exploring the Downtown Pedestrian District is also worthwhile, with its charming shops, restaurants, and vibrant atmosphere. The Roxy Regional Theatre is a renowned theater that offers a range of theatrical performances. To shop for local produce and crafts, the Downtown Market is the perfect place. And for those seeking entertainment, the Rivers & Spires Festival is a lively event featuring music, food, and various activities. For wine enthusiasts, a visit to Beachaven Vineyards & Winery is a must, where they can enjoy wine tastings and tours.
Clarksville provides a diverse range of attractions that cater to various interests, ensuring there is something for everyone to enjoy.
Are There Any Accommodation Options in Clarksville?
Are There Any Accommodation Options in Clarksville?
When visiting Clarksville, Tennessee, there are various accommodation options to choose from:
- Hotels: Clarksville offers a range of hotels, from budget-friendly options such as Comfort Inn & Suites and Days Inn, to mid-range establishments like Hilton Garden Inn and Best Western Plus. For a luxurious stay, you can consider the Riverview Inn.
- Apartments: If you prefer a more homely experience, there are apartment rentals available in Clarksville. Websites like Airbnb and VRBO offer a wide selection of apartments to suit different budgets and preferences.
- Bed and Breakfasts: For a charming and intimate stay, you can opt for one of the bed and breakfast accommodations in Clarksville. Locations like F&M Bank Bed & Breakfast and The Durrett House provide a cozy and unique experience.
- Campgrounds: Nature enthusiasts can choose to stay at one of the campgrounds in and around Clarksville. Dunbar Cave State Park and Liberty Park and Marina offer camping facilities for an outdoor experience.
Pro-Tip: It is recommended to book your accommodation in advance, especially during peak travel seasons or if you have specific preferences. Consider factors such as location, amenities, and reviews to ensure a comfortable stay in Clarksville.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some attractions to visit in downtown Clarksville?
Some attractions to visit in downtown Clarksville include renting bicycles, exploring art galleries and museums, experiencing performing arts, shopping at boutiques and antique stores, trying craft libations, savoring locally-sourced meals, and watching river sunsets.
Where can I find locally sourced meals in Clarksville?
You can find locally sourced meals in Clarksville at various restaurants in downtown Clarksville, such as The Mailroom and Beachaven Vineyards and Winery.
Are there any distilleries to visit in Clarksville?
Yes, Clarksville is home to local distilleries such as Old Glory Distilling Co. where you can enjoy guided tours and tastings of their spirits, including their popular Smooth Shine concoctions.
Does Clarksville offer live music nights?
Yes, Clarksville offers live music nights at various venues in downtown Clarksville, such as The Roxy Theatre and Franklin Street.
Are there any unique accommodations in Clarksville?
Yes, Clarksville offers unique accommodations such as the Old Clarksville House, which features three bedrooms, a speakeasy, and a hidden location, and the Pink House, inspired by Marilyn Monroe, with a pink theme throughout.
Can I rent a bicycle in Clarksville?
Yes, you can rent a bicycle in Clarksville to explore the town and its attractions, such as Dunbar Cave State Park and the Clarksville Greenway.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.