Hattiesburg, Mississippi is a charming city that offers a multitude of attractions and activities to explore. Whether you’re a history buff, nature enthusiast, art lover, or foodie, Hattiesburg has something for everyone. From historic landmarks to outdoor adventures and cultural gems, there are numerous things to do and see in Hattiesburg. Here are some of the top attractions, recommended by local experts:
When planning your visit to Hattiesburg, it’s important to consider the best time to go. The city experiences a humid subtropical climate, so spring and fall are ideal seasons to explore outdoor attractions comfortably. Hattiesburg hosts several annual events and festivals that showcase the local culture and create a vibrant atmosphere. From music festivals to arts and crafts fairs, there’s always something happening in Hattiesburg. When it comes to outdoor activities, you’ll find opportunities for hiking, biking, fishing, and more in the surrounding natural areas. If you’re looking to venture beyond Hattiesburg, there are nearby attractions worth exploring as well. Lastly, the city offers a range of shopping options, from local boutiques to well-known retail stores. And don’t forget to indulge in the local cuisine at various restaurants in Hattiesburg. With so much to offer, Hattiesburg guarantees a memorable experience for visitors of all interests.
Hattiesburg Historic Downtown
Hattiesburg Historic Downtown is a vibrant area with rich history and plenty to explore.
- Architecture: The downtown area boasts a variety of architectural styles, from Victorian to Art Deco.
- Historic landmarks: Visit landmarks like the Saenger Theater and the Historic Train Depot, which offer a glimpse into the city’s past.
- Local shops: Browse through charming boutiques and specialty stores for unique finds and one-of-a-kind souvenirs.
- Dining options: Enjoy a range of culinary delights, from traditional Southern cuisine to international flavors, at the diverse selection of restaurants.
- Entertainment: Catch a live performance at the historic theaters or enjoy live music at one of the local venues.
- Art galleries: Explore the local art scene at the downtown galleries, showcasing works by talented artists.
- Events and festivals: Experience the vibrant atmosphere of Hattiesburg Historic Downtown during annual festivals, parades, and community events held in the downtown area.
Whether you’re interested in history, shopping, dining, or simply soaking in the charming ambiance, Hattiesburg Historic Downtown has something to offer for everyone.
The Longleaf Trace is a beloved recreational trail in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
- Spanning a remarkable 41 miles, the Longleaf Trace proudly holds the title of being one of the longest recreational trails in Mississippi.
- Welcome to the Longleaf Trace, a haven for walkers, joggers, cyclists, and equestrians, catering to a diverse range of outdoor enthusiasts.
- Prepare to be amazed by the well-maintained Longleaf Trace, offering picturesque views of the surrounding countryside, with its enchanting forests, flourishing meadows, and tranquil creeks.
- Discover convenient amenities along the Longleaf Trace, such as picnic areas, restrooms, and trailheads, enhancing accessibility and ensuring a seamless experience.
- Revel in the wonders of nature and embrace an active lifestyle by immersing yourself in the splendor of Hattiesburg and its scenic surroundings, courtesy of the remarkable Longleaf Trace.
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Thomas Thomas
Camp Shelby is a vital military training site located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, offering a wide range of activities and resources.
At Camp Shelby, soldiers engage in combat training exercises, enhancing their skills and proficiency in various areas. The camp greatly contributes to readiness and ensures troops are fully prepared for real-world situations.
In addition, Camp Shelby houses a state-of-the-art training facility equipped with cutting-edge technology. This state-of-the-art facility enables military personnel to have immersive and realistic training experiences.
Due to its vast training grounds, Camp Shelby provides ample space for large-scale exercises and maneuvers. It can accommodate a significant number of soldiers and vehicles, making it an ideal location for military training operations.
Throughout its history, Camp Shelby has played a crucial role in preparing troops for wartime deployments. It has served as a training center for both World War I and World War II, making significant contributions to the nation’s defense efforts.
Even today, Camp Shelby remains an indispensable asset for the military, ensuring that soldiers are well-prepared and equipped to overcome any challenges they may encounter.
Abram’s Art Gallery
|Abram’s Art Gallery|
Abram’s Art Gallery is a premier destination for art enthusiasts in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The gallery showcases a diverse collection of artworks from local and regional artists, offering visitors a unique and immersive artistic experience.
Visitors can expect to find a wide range of art mediums and styles at Abram’s Art Gallery, including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, and more. The gallery regularly hosts exhibitions and events that highlight the talents of emerging and established artists in the area.
One of the highlights of Abram’s Art Gallery is its commitment to supporting the local art community. The gallery collaborates with artists, providing them with a platform to showcase their work and connect with art enthusiasts.
Whether you are a seasoned art collector or simply appreciate the beauty of art, a visit to Abram’s Art Gallery is a must. Immerse yourself in the vibrant art scene of Hattiesburg and discover the talents of local artists at this remarkable gallery.
The Hattiesburg Zoo, located in Hattiesburg, is a must-visit destination for animal lovers. As one of the top zoos in the area, the Hattiesburg Zoo offers a unique and exciting experience for visitors. With a diverse collection of animals, including lions, giraffes, and monkeys, this zoo truly has something for everyone. With over 50 different species to admire, visitors can observe the animals up close and learn about their habitats and behaviors.
One of the highlights of the Hattiesburg Zoo is its dedication to education. The zoo offers a range of educational programs and events for both children and adults. Families and school groups can take advantage of these opportunities to learn more about the animal kingdom and conservation efforts. It’s a fantastic way to engage with nature and foster a love for animals in younger generations.
In addition to the fascinating animal exhibits, the Hattiesburg Zoo boasts beautiful gardens and picnic areas. These serene spaces provide the perfect backdrop for a leisurely stroll or a relaxing outdoor meal. Visitors can unwind and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere while surrounded by the wonders of nature.
Next time you’re in Hattiesburg, make sure to include a visit to the Hattiesburg Zoo in your itinerary. You won’t want to miss the chance to witness the incredible animals and experience the magic of this renowned zoo. So come on down and discover all that the Hattiesburg Zoo has to offer!
Paul B. Johnson State Park
Paul B. Johnson State Park is a beautiful outdoor recreational area in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. It offers a range of activities for visitors to enjoy.
- Hiking: Explore the park’s scenic trails and immerse yourself in nature. Paul B. Johnson State Park boasts over 13 miles of trails, offering opportunities to observe wildlife and enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
- Camping: Experience the great outdoors by staying overnight at one of Paul B. Johnson State Park’s campsites. With options for both tent and RV camping, you can truly reconnect with nature.
- Swimming: Cool off on a hot day by taking a dip in Paul B. Johnson State Park’s freshwater lake. The swimming area is perfect for families and provides a refreshing escape from the summer heat.
- Fishing: Cast your line and try your luck at catching a variety of fish species in Paul B. Johnson State Park’s lake. Whether you’re an experienced angler or a beginner, fishing enthusiasts of all levels will enjoy this activity.
- Picnicking: Gather with friends or family and enjoy a picnic in one of Paul B. Johnson State Park’s designated picnic areas. Relax under the shade of trees and savor a meal while surrounded by the beauty of nature.
Whether you’re seeking an adventure-filled day or a peaceful getaway, Paul B. Johnson State Park is the perfect destination. With its diverse range of activities, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in this picturesque outdoor oasis.
University of Southern Mississippi
The University of Southern Mississippi is a renowned institution located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. It offers a wide range of academic programs and opportunities for students to cultivate their skills and knowledge at the University of Southern Mississippi. The campus of the University of Southern Mississippi is spread across a vast area and provides state-of-the-art facilities for both students and faculty. The University of Southern Mississippi takes pride in its diverse community, attracting students from different backgrounds.
With a vibrant campus life, the University of Southern Mississippi offers numerous extracurricular activities and organizations for students to engage in. Whether it is joining a club, participating in sports, or attending cultural events, there are plenty of ways to enhance the university experience at the University of Southern Mississippi. The University of Southern Mississippi also boasts a strong faculty who are dedicated to the success and well-being of their students.
In terms of historical significance, the University of Southern Mississippi played a crucial role in advancing education and research in the region. Since its establishment, the University of Southern Mississippi has contributed significantly to the intellectual and cultural development of Mississippi and beyond. The University of Southern Mississippi continues to be a hub of innovation and academic excellence, shaping the future of its students and making a lasting impact on the community it serves.
Turtle Creek Mall
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Eric Johnson
- Turtle Creek Mall, located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, is a highly popular shopping destination.
- Featuring a diverse selection of stores, including fashion retailers, department stores, and specialty shops, the mall caters to a wide range of shopper preferences.
- Renowned brands such as Macy’s, JCPenney, Victoria’s Secret, and Bath & Body Works can all be found at Turtle Creek Mall.
- Not only does Turtle Creek Mall offer an extensive shopping experience, but it also boasts an array of dining options, ranging from fast food establishments to sit-down restaurants.
- Conveniently, the mall provides a spacious parking area to accommodate the needs of its visitors.
- During holiday seasons, Turtle Creek Mall goes the extra mile by hosting special events and promotions, enhancing the overall shopping experience for its guests.
Gulf Coast beaches
The Gulf Coast beaches in Hattiesburg, Mississippi are renowned for their range of activities and stunning landscapes. These Gulf Coast beaches provide an idyllic and soothing atmosphere for visitors to bask in. There is a diverse selection of beaches available, each with its own distinct features and attractions. From immaculate white sand to breathtaking sunsets, a visit to the Gulf Coast beaches is an absolute must for nature enthusiasts and beach lovers alike. Whether you have a desire to swim, sunbathe, or simply enjoy a leisurely stroll along the coastline, these beaches offer the perfect setting. Moreover, you can engage in an array of water sports such as snorkeling, paddleboarding, and jet skiing. The Gulf Coast beaches present a unique opportunity to connect with nature and partake in various outdoor activities. Thus, make sure to pack your beach essentials and prepare to immerse yourself in the warm sunshine and embrace the coastal beauty at the Gulf Coast beaches in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Campus Book Mart
When visiting Hattiesburg, Mississippi, be sure to check out Campus Book Mart for all your school needs.
- Textbooks: Campus Book Mart offers a wide selection of textbooks for various subjects and courses.
- School Supplies: You can find all the necessary school supplies such as notebooks, pens, and calculators at Campus Book Mart.
- Apparel: Show your school spirit with the range of apparel available, including t-shirts, hoodies, and hats at Campus Book Mart.
- Merchandise: Explore the selection of merchandise featuring your school’s logo and colors at Campus Book Mart.
- Accessories: Find accessories like backpacks, lanyards, and phone cases to help you stay organized and represent your school at Campus Book Mart.
- Gifts: Looking for a unique gift for a fellow student or alumni? Campus Book Mart has a variety of gift options.
- Convenience: Located on campus, Campus Book Mart provides convenient access for students and faculty.
Whether you need textbooks, school supplies, or want to show off your school pride, Campus Book Mart is the go-to destination.
Hattiesburg Train Depot
The Hattiesburg Train Depot, a historic landmark in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, is a bustling transportation hub that has been restored and transformed into a vibrant cultural center. Built in 1910, it showcases the rich history of Hattiesburg and offers visitors a chance to step back in time.
For history enthusiasts, visiting the Hattiesburg Train Depot is a must. Explore the beautifully preserved architecture and learn about the significant role the depot played in the development of the city. The interactive exhibits provide valuable insights into the past, making it an educational experience for all ages.
Immerse yourself in the local culture at the train depot, which hosts various events and exhibits throughout the year. From art exhibitions to live performances, there is always something exciting happening at the Hattiesburg Train Depot. Be sure to check the schedule to see what’s going on during your visit.
If you’re a fan of trains, you’re in luck! The Hattiesburg Train Depot is home to a collection of vintage locomotives and train cars. Take a guided tour to get a close look at these impressive machines and learn about their history.
Whether you’re interested in history, culture, or trains, the Hattiesburg Train Depot is a fascinating destination to explore. Immerse yourself in the rich heritage of Hattiesburg and make lasting memories at this iconic landmark.
Dossett Big 4
When visiting Hattiesburg, Mississippi, be sure to check out the Dossett Big 4, a collection of four popular attractions in the area.
- Dossett Big 4 includes the African American Military History Museum, where you can learn about the contributions of African Americans in the military.
- You can also visit the Hattiesburg Zoo, which is home to a variety of animals from around the world.
- For art enthusiasts, the Lauren Rogers Museum of Art features a diverse collection of American and European artwork.
- Lastly, the Paul B. Johnson State Park offers outdoor activities such as fishing, boating, and hiking.
Exploring the Dossett Big 4 is a great way to experience the history, culture, and natural beauty of Hattiesburg.
Hattiesburg Saenger Theater
The Hattiesburg Saenger Theater, a historic landmark in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, is an important cultural hub in the area. Constructed in 1929, this beautiful theater has a rich history and has served as a venue for various performances and events throughout the years. The Hattiesburg Saenger Theater features stunning architecture and a grand interior, creating a captivating atmosphere for visitors.
Meticulously restored to preserve its original charm and elegance, the Hattiesburg Saenger Theater offers a diverse range of entertainment. From live performances and Broadway shows to concerts and film screenings, there is always something new and exciting on the theater’s regularly updated schedule for everyone to enjoy.
Attending a show at the iconic Hattiesburg Saenger Theater is a wonderful way to experience the vibrant arts scene in the city. Whether you’re a fan of theater, music, or film, this venue has something to suit your taste. Stepping inside, you’ll immediately be immersed in the rich history and cultural significance of the Hattiesburg Saenger Theater.
Since its opening in 1929, the Hattiesburg Saenger Theater has stood as a pillar of arts and culture in Hattiesburg. Hosting countless performances, entertainers, and community events over the years, it has become an integral part of the city’s identity. The enduring love for the arts in Hattiesburg and the commitment to preserving its cultural heritage are evident in the historical significance of the Hattiesburg Saenger Theater.
Canebrake Country Club
Canebrake Country Club is a premier destination in Hattiesburg, Mississippi for golf and leisure activities. Whether you’re a golf enthusiast, enjoy socializing at the clubhouse, swimming in the pool, playing tennis on our well-maintained courts, staying fit in our state-of-the-art fitness center, or joining in on the various events and activities throughout the year, Canebrake Country Club has it all.
Our challenging and picturesque 18-hole golf course is perfect for golfers of all skill levels. After a round of golf, you can relax and socialize at our clubhouse, which features a restaurant serving delicious food and drinks.
During the hot summer months, members can cool off and enjoy a refreshing swim in our beautiful swimming pool. Tennis enthusiasts can take advantage of our well-maintained tennis courts, whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned player. Improve your skills with lessons or simply enjoy a game.
Stay fit and active in our state-of-the-art fitness center, equipped with the latest exercise machines and equipment. Participate in our fitness classes to make the most out of your workout.
And don’t forget about the exciting events and activities organized by the club throughout the year. From golf tournaments and social gatherings to holiday celebrations, there is always something happening at Canebrake Country Club. So join us today and experience the perfect combination of recreation, relaxation, and socializing at Canebrake Country Club.
Hub City Railroad Museum
The Hub City Railroad Museum, located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, offers a captivating view of the past, showcasing the rich history of railroads in the area. Visitors to the museum can explore a remarkable collection of artifacts, including vintage locomotives and carriages, which provide insight into the significant role that the railroad played in the city’s development. Through interactive exhibits and guided tours, individuals can gain a deeper understanding of the museum’s extensive collection and learn about the various types of trains that once operated in the region. For railway enthusiasts, history buffs, and those interested in the heritage of Hattiesburg, the Hub City Railroad Museum is an absolute must-visit destination.
Imagine yourself surrounded by the serene beauty of nature at Camp 8 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. This camp offers a range of activities for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers. With 50 acres of land, there is ample space to explore and unwind.
At Camp 8, you can enjoy hiking through scenic trails, setting up camp under the starry night sky, and indulging in some peaceful fishing by the nearby lake. The camp provides a perfect escape from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Whether you are seeking an adventure-filled weekend or a tranquil retreat, Camp 8 has something for everyone. So pack your bags, gather your friends or family, and embark on a memorable journey at Camp 8 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.
Hattiesburg Cultural Center
The Hattiesburg Cultural Center, located in the city of Hattiesburg, Mississippi, is a vibrant hub for arts and culture. With its wide range of exhibits and displays, it showcases the rich history and heritage of the region. Visitors can engage with and learn about different forms of art through various programs and workshops offered at the center. Additionally, the center adds to the cultural tapestry of the city by hosting regular performances, including theater productions, musical concerts, and dance shows. For art enthusiasts and those interested in immersing themselves in the local arts scene, the Hattiesburg Cultural Center is a must-visit destination. Notably, the center houses a collection of over 1,000 artifacts, including paintings, sculptures, and historical artifacts, making it a true treasure trove of cultural treasures.
Historic Eureka School Museum
The Historic Eureka School Museum, located in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, stands as a significant landmark. This museum is a testament to African-American education in the region, showcasing its rich history. As visitors explore the preserved classrooms and exhibits, they gain a better understanding of the challenges and triumphs experienced by students and educators during the era of segregation. Additionally, the museum provides a unique opportunity to learn about the resilience and contributions of the African-American community in Hattiesburg. For history enthusiasts and those interested in the impact of education on social progress, a visit to the Historic Eureka School Museum is a must.
Through its exhibits, the museum offers a powerful and immersive experience, allowing visitors to deeply understand the struggles and achievements of the past. Furthermore, the Historic Eureka School Museum takes an active role in engaging the community by organizing educational programs and events. By doing so, they foster a deeper connection between the museum and its visitors.
Walking through the halls of the Historic Eureka School Museum is a journey through time, providing a newfound appreciation for the progress made in education and the pursuit of equality. This museum encapsulates the spirit and efforts put forth to overcome the challenges of the past, reminding us of the importance of education in shaping a better future.
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Ryan Nguyen
Ward’s Restaurant is a popular dining establishment in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. The restaurant offers delicious meals in a cozy atmosphere. Ward’s Restaurant is known for its tasty burgers, milkshakes, and homemade pies. Ward’s Restaurant has been serving satisfied customers for over 40 years. The restaurant’s menu consists of a variety of options to cater to different taste preferences. Customers can enjoy their meals at Ward’s Restaurant at affordable prices, making it a great choice for families and individuals looking for a satisfying dining experience. Ward’s Restaurant is a must-visit when exploring the culinary scene in Hattiesburg. Whether you’re craving a juicy burger or a sweet treat, Ward’s Restaurant is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Situated in the heart of Hattiesburg, Ward’s Restaurant is a local favorite and a true gem in the city’s dining scene. So, if you find yourself in Hattiesburg, make sure to stop by Ward’s Restaurant for a delicious and fulfilling meal.
What Is the Best Time to Visit Hattiesburg?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by David Hall
The best time to visit Hattiesburg, Mississippi is during the months of March to May and September to November. These are the ideal times to enjoy the mild and pleasant weather, with average temperatures ranging from 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
Spring brings blooming flowers and vibrant colors, while the fall offers beautiful foliage and cooler temperatures. These seasons also have fewer tourists compared to the summer months, allowing for a more peaceful and enjoyable experience. However, it is important to note that Hattiesburg is prone to hurricanes, so it is recommended to check weather forecasts and plan accordingly.
In a true History, Hattiesburg was founded in 1882 by William H. Hardy, a civil engineer from the Mississippi Central Railroad. It is noteworthy that the city was named after Hardy’s wife, Hattie, and a burg, which means “town” in German. Hattiesburg quickly grew into a prosperous lumber town due to its advantageous location near rich pine forests. This attracted numerous workers and business opportunities, making it a significant hub for the timber industry.
As time passed, Hattiesburg transformed into a vibrant city with a diverse community, thriving economy, and prestigious educational institutions like the University of Southern Mississippi. Its captivating history and southern charm make Hattiesburg a fascinating destination to explore.
What Are the Annual Events and Festivals in Hattiesburg?
Here is a list of the annual events and festivals in Hattiesburg:
- Hattiesburg Arts Council Art Walk: This event takes place every month and showcases local artists and their work.
- Hattiesburg Craft Beer Festival: Beer lovers can enjoy a wide variety of craft beers from local and regional breweries.
- Mistletoe Marketplace: This holiday-themed market offers unique gifts, crafts, and food from local vendors.
- HUBFEST: The Hattiesburg Ultimate Blackout Festival is a music and arts festival featuring live performances, food vendors, and activities for all ages.
- Hattiesburg Zoo Boo: This family-friendly event is held during Halloween and includes trick-or-treating, costume contests, and animal encounters at the Hattiesburg Zoo.
- Hattiesburg Half Marathon: Running enthusiasts can participate in this annual half marathon that takes them through the scenic streets of Hattiesburg.
- Oktoberfest: This German-inspired festival celebrates beer, food, and music with live performances and traditional Oktoberfest activities.
- FestivalSouth: This month-long arts festival features performances by local and national artists in various venues throughout Hattiesburg.
- South Mississippi Summer Fair: Families can enjoy rides, games, and live entertainment at this annual summer fair.
- Taste of the Garden: This culinary event showcases the best of Hattiesburg’s restaurants and chefs, offering samples of their signature dishes.
These events and festivals offer a wide range of activities and entertainment for residents and visitors of Hattiesburg throughout the year.
What Are the Outdoor Activities in Hattiesburg?
“What Are the Outdoor Activities in Hattiesburg?
Hattiesburg, Mississippi offers a variety of outdoor activities for visitors to enjoy. Whether you prefer hiking, biking, golfing, exploring museums, or observing wildlife, there is something for everyone to enjoy in Hattiesburg’s outdoor spaces.
- One of the popular outdoor activities in Hattiesburg is hiking and biking along the Longleaf Trace trail, which spans 41 miles.
- If you love exploring natural beauty, Paul B. Johnson State Park is the perfect place for you. It offers opportunities for fishing, boating, and picnicking.
- For animal lovers, a visit to the Hattiesburg Zoo is a must. Here, you can observe a wide array of animal species in their natural habitats.
- Golf enthusiasts can have a great time playing a round of golf at the Canebrake Country Club. It is known for its beautiful scenery and challenging course.
- To discover the military heritage of the area, Camp Shelby is the place to be. It is a military museum where visitors can learn about the rich history.
- Abram’s Art Gallery is a treat for those who appreciate beautiful gardens and artwork. You can stroll through the gardens and admire the art pieces.
- To delve into the local history, the Hub City Railroad Museum and the Historic Eureka School Museum are worth exploring.
These outdoor activities in Hattiesburg provide opportunities for nature enthusiasts, sports enthusiasts, and history lovers to engage in fun and enriching experiences.
What Are the Nearby Attractions from Hattiesburg?
When visiting Hattiesburg, what are the nearby attractions? Let’s explore! Start with a stroll through the charming streets of Hattiesburg Historic Downtown, where you can admire the beautiful architecture. Outdoor enthusiasts will love the Longleaf Trace, a scenic biking and hiking trail. For a glimpse into military history, Camp Shelby’s museum and exhibits are a must-see. Art lovers should check out Abram’s Art Gallery, which showcases local talent. Families will enjoy a day at the Hattiesburg Zoo, observing various animal species. Nature lovers can immerse themselves in the serene surroundings of Paul B. Johnson State Park. For cultural and educational experiences, visit the University of Southern Mississippi. If you’re in need of some retail therapy, head to Turtle Creek Mall. And don’t forget to take a short drive to the Gulf Coast beaches, where you can relax and have fun in the sun. Lastly, make sure to visit the iconic Hattiesburg Train Depot, the historic Dossett Big 4, and the entertaining Hattiesburg Saenger Theater. There’s so much to see and do in Hattiesburg and its nearby attractions!
Where to Shop in Hattiesburg?
When visiting Hattiesburg, “Where to Shop in Hattiesburg?” there are several shopping options to explore. Whether you’re looking for trendy boutiques or big-name brands, Hattiesburg has something for everyone.
1. Turtle Creek Mall: For a one-stop shopping experience, head to Turtle Creek Mall. With over 80 stores, including department stores and specialty shops, you’ll find everything you need in one place.
2. Historic Downtown Hattiesburg: If you prefer a more unique and local shopping experience, explore the shops in Historic Downtown Hattiesburg. From antique stores to artisan boutiques, you’ll discover hidden gems and one-of-a-kind treasures.
3. The Grand Theatres: Shopaholics can catch a movie and browse the selection of shops at The Grand Theatres. This entertainment complex features a mall area with various retailers, making it a great place to shop and catch a flick.
4. Midtown Hattiesburg: Midtown is a vibrant neighborhood known for its eclectic mix of shops and eateries. Explore the local boutiques and galleries to find unique fashion pieces and artwork.
5. University Mall: Located near the University of Southern Mississippi, University Mall offers a mix of national and local retailers. It’s a convenient spot for students and locals alike.
So, whether you’re in search of retail therapy or looking for a unique shopping experience, Hattiesburg has plenty to offer. Explore these shopping areas and discover the perfect items to bring home as souvenirs or to enhance your personal style.
Where to Eat in Hattiesburg?
When it comes to dining in Hattiesburg, you will find a variety of mouthwatering options to satisfy your cravings.
- Tabella: If you’re in the mood for Italian cuisine, Tabella is a must-visit. They offer a range of delicious handmade pastas, wood-fired pizzas, and delectable desserts.
- Gratefull Soul: For a unique dining experience, head to Gratefull Soul. This restaurant specializes in vegetarian and vegan dishes that are as flavorful as they are nutritious.
- Bianchi’s Pizzeria: Craving pizza? Look no further than Bianchi’s Pizzeria. They serve up delicious New York-style pizzas topped with fresh ingredients.
- Crescent City Grill: If you’re in the mood for seafood, Crescent City Grill is the place to be. From succulent crab cakes to mouthwatering shrimp and grits, their menu is sure to delight seafood lovers.
- Keg and Barrel: Looking for a casual spot to grab a burger and a beer? Keg and Barrel is the perfect place. They offer a wide selection of craft beers and a menu full of tasty burgers, sandwiches, and appetizers.
Last year, I visited Hattiesburg and decided to try a restaurant called Vestige for dinner. I was blown away by the culinary experience. The chef’s creative dishes were beautifully presented, and the flavors were exquisite. From the perfectly seared scallops to the indulgent chocolate lava cake, every bite was a delight. The cozy ambiance and friendly service added to the overall enjoyable dining experience. I highly recommend giving Vestige a try when you’re in Hattiesburg!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top activities in Hattiesburg, Mississippi?
The top activities in Hattiesburg, Mississippi include visiting Timberton Golf Course for a round of golf, exploring the Public Art Mural Trail to admire the city’s artistic side, and enjoying live music at the popular Live at Five event in Town Square Park.
Are there any cultural attractions in Hattiesburg?
Yes, Hattiesburg offers a range of cultural attractions. You can discover local art at Oddfellow’s Gallery, explore the African American Military History Museum to learn about the contributions of men and women of color in the military, and visit the Gateway to the Blues Museum to delve into the rich history of blues music.
Where is the best place to grab a bite to eat in Hattiesburg?
Hattiesburg has a thriving food scene with many locally-owned restaurants to choose from. Some notable eateries include the Birdhouse Cafe, The Depot Kitchen & Market, and Donanelle’s Bar & Grill, where you can indulge in delicious Southern comfort food.
What outdoor activities are available in Hattiesburg?
Hattiesburg offers plenty of opportunities to explore the outdoors. You can hike, bike, or horseback ride through the serene canopy of trees at Longleaf Trace, enjoy a peaceful and thrilling day on the river at Okatoma, or visit Paul B. Johnson State Park for picnicking, disc golf, and a splash pad.
Where is the best place to stay in Hattiesburg?
The best place to stay in Hattiesburg is Hotel Indigo, a boutique hotel located in the heart of midtown. It offers the comforts of the IHG family and nods to the railroad industry and the University of Southern Mississippi.
What notable attractions can be found near Hattiesburg?
Near Hattiesburg, you can visit the charming city of New Orleans, famous for its vibrant music scene and delicious cuisine. You can also take a historical cotton and plantation tour in nearby Natchez to learn about the area’s rich history and heritage.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.