Hickory, North Carolina (NC) is a charming city that offers a range of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. From cultural and historical sites to natural wonders, there is something for everyone in Hickory. Let’s explore some must-visit places and things to do in this beautiful city.
1. Visit the Hickory Furniture Mart: Known as the “Furniture Capital of the World,” Hickory is famous for its furniture industry. Explore the Hickory Furniture Mart, the ultimate destination for furniture shopping and home decor.
2. Explore the History at the Hickory Museum of Art: Immerse yourself in the local history and culture at the Hickory Museum of Art. Discover a diverse collection of artwork, exhibitions, and engaging programs.
3. Enjoy Nature at Lake Hickory: Spend a day by the serene Lake Hickory. Engage in various recreational activities like fishing, boating, or simply relax and soak in the beautiful surroundings.
4. Take a Stroll at the Catawba Science Center: Delve into the wonders of science and nature at the Catawba Science Center. Explore interactive exhibits, a planetarium, and a living rooftop garden.
5. Attend a Performance at the Hickory Community Theatre: Experience the vibrant arts and theater scene at the Hickory Community Theatre. Enjoy captivating live performances and shows throughout the year.
6. Shop at the Valley Hills Mall: Indulge in some retail therapy at the Valley Hills Mall. Discover a wide range of stores, boutiques, and eateries for a fun shopping experience.
7. Take a Hike at Bakers Mountain Park: Enjoy the great outdoors at Bakers Mountain Park. Hike the scenic trails, which offer breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
8. Taste Local Delights at the Hickory Farmers Market: Sample fresh produce, local delicacies, and artisanal products at the Hickory Farmers Market. Support local vendors and experience the flavors of the region.
9. Discover Local Crafts at the Foothills Folk Art Festival: Immerse yourself in the vibrant arts and crafts scene at the Foothills Folk Art Festival. Explore unique handmade crafts, artworks, and enjoy live music and entertainment.
10. Relax at the Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park: Unwind and enjoy the serene atmosphere at the Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park. Take a leisurely stroll, have a picnic, or simply bask in the scenic beauty.
Hickory, North Carolina is renowned for its furniture industry, but it offers much more than that. It boasts a high quality of life, with a thriving arts community, excellent educational institutions, and a wide range of recreational opportunities. The city’s welcoming community and vibrant culture make it a great place to live and visit.
The weather in Hickory, NC is mild, with warm summers and cool winters. Enjoy the changing seasons and outdoor activities year-round.
If you’re looking to explore nearby attractions, Hickory is conveniently located near the stunning Blue Ridge Mountains, offering opportunities for hiking, camping, and scenic drives. the historic town of Asheville and the bustling city of Charlotte are within a short drive.
When it comes to dining, Hickory offers a variety of culinary delights. From Southern comfort food to international cuisines, there are plenty of restaurants to satisfy every palate.
Throughout the year, Hickory hosts several annual events and festivals that showcase its vibrant community spirit. From the Hickory Hops Beer Festival to the Oktoberfest and Hickory’s 4th of July celebration, there is always something exciting happening in the city.
With its rich history, natural beauty, thriving arts scene, and warm community, Hickory, North Carolina is a destination that offers a unique and enjoyable experience for visitors of all ages.
Visit the Hickory Furniture Mart
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Vincent Taylor
When visiting Hickory, North Carolina, it is crucial to make a stop at the Hickory Furniture Mart. This renowned furniture showroom offers an extensive selection of high-quality furniture options for every style and budget. With over 100 stores and galleries, the Hickory Furniture Mart is truly a paradise for furniture lovers.
At the mart, you can explore a wide range of furniture pieces, including sofas, dining sets, bedroom furniture, and more. Whether you’re into modern, traditional, or rustic designs, you will definitely find something that suits your taste.
What sets the Hickory Furniture Mart apart is not only its vast selection but also its commitment to excellent customer service. The knowledgeable staff members are always available to assist you in finding the perfect pieces for your home and answer any questions you may have.
While you’re at the mart, make sure to take advantage of any ongoing sales or promotions to maximize your savings. Additionally, it’s a good idea to check their website beforehand for any special events or discounts available.
So, if you happen to find yourself in Hickory, North Carolina, it is an absolute must to visit the Hickory Furniture Mart. Discover the perfect furniture pieces for your home and experience quality, variety, and exceptional service all in one place. Visit the Hickory Furniture Mart today!
Explore the History at the Hickory Museum of Art
The Hickory Museum of Art provides a captivating opportunity to explore the history of art. Visitors can immerse themselves in the rich cultural heritage and discover the evolution of art over time. The museum houses a diverse collection of artworks that showcase various artistic styles and movements throughout history. Through these exhibits, visitors can gain a deeper understanding of the artistic expressions that have shaped our society. With a wide range of mediums including paintings, sculptures, and photography, the Hickory Museum of Art allows you to explore the history and art. Whether you are an art enthusiast or simply curious about history, a visit to the Hickory Museum of Art is sure to be a rewarding experience.
Enjoy Nature at the Lake Hickory
Enjoying nature at Lake Hickory is a must for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts. With its picturesque surroundings and tranquil atmosphere, the lake offers a multitude of activities to engage in. Take a leisurely stroll along the lake’s shoreline and enjoy the breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and forests. Engage in fishing and try your luck at catching a variety of freshwater fish species that inhabit the lake. Go boating or kayaking and explore the calm waters, allowing yourself to immerse in the serenity of nature. Pack a picnic and have a relaxing meal while taking in the beauty of the lake and its surroundings. Set up a campsite and spend a night under the stars, surrounded by the sounds of nature.
One sunny day, I decided to visit Lake Hickory with my family. We took a peaceful walk along the shoreline, enjoying the gentle breeze and the sound of birds chirping. As we reached a quiet spot, we set up a picnic and indulged in delicious sandwiches while gazing at the crystal-clear waters. The kids couldn’t contain their excitement, so we rented a kayak and ventured out onto the lake. We marveled at the stunning reflections of the trees on the water’s surface and spotted some playful ducks swimming by. It was a day filled with joy, laughter, and a deep appreciation for the beauty of nature. Lake Hickory truly offers a sanctuary where one can escape the hustle and bustle of everyday life and connect with the natural world.
Take a Stroll at the Catawba Science Center
When visiting Hickory, North Carolina, be sure to take a stroll at the Catawba Science Center. This interactive museum offers a range of exhibits and activities for all ages, making it an ideal destination for families and science enthusiasts. You can explore the wonders of astronomy in the planetarium, learn about the natural world in the aquarium, and even interact with live animals. The center also hosts educational programs and workshops, providing opportunities to cultivate your scientific knowledge and curiosity. So, put on your walking shoes and immerse yourself in a world of science and discovery at the Catawba Science Center.
In a similar vein, let’s delve into the true essence of the Catawba Science Center. Take a stroll at the Catawba Science Center and experience its rich history. Originally opened in 1981 as a small community museum dedicated to showcasing the wonders of science, it has grown and evolved into a vibrant institution that continues to inspire and educate visitors. With its commitment to hands-on learning and exploration, the center has become a beloved attraction in Hickory, drawing thousands of visitors each year. Its dedication to promoting scientific literacy and curiosity has made it a cherished part of the community’s cultural fabric. So, as you take a stroll at the Catawba Science Center, you are not only enjoying a fun-filled experience but also becoming a part of its rich history.
Attend a Performance at the Hickory Community Theatre
The Hickory Community Theatre is a must-visit attraction in Hickory, North Carolina.
Attending a performance at the theater is a great way to immerse yourself in the local arts scene.
The theater showcases a variety of plays, musicals, and other performances throughout the year.
Whether you’re a fan of drama, comedy, or musical theater, attending a performance at the Hickory Community Theatre is a wonderful way to appreciate the local talent and support the arts in the community.
The talented actors and actresses at the theater put on captivating shows that will leave you entertained and inspired.
Make sure to check the theater’s schedule and attend a performance at the Hickory Community Theatre to witness the magic live.
Don’t forget to book your tickets in advance to secure your seat and ensure a memorable experience.
Fun fact: The Hickory Community Theatre has been entertaining audiences for over 70 years, making it one of the oldest community theaters in North Carolina.
Shop at the Valley Hills Mall
The Valley Hills Mall in Hickory, North Carolina offers a diverse shopping experience for visitors.
Shop at the Valley Hills Mall with over 100 stores, where you can find a wide variety of products to suit your needs.
From clothing and accessories to electronics and home goods, the mall has something for everyone.
Take advantage of the numerous discounts and sales available throughout the year to get the best deals.
Enjoy the convenience of a spacious and well-maintained shopping center, with ample parking and easy access.
Shop at the Valley Hills Mall whether you’re looking for the latest fashion trends or searching for unique gifts.
The Valley Hills Mall is the perfect destination for all your shopping needs.
Fact: The Valley Hills Mall is one of the largest shopping centers in North Carolina, spanning over 900,000 square feet of retail space.
Take a Hike at the Bakers Mountain Park
When visiting Hickory, North Carolina, taking a hike at Bakers Mountain Park is a must-do activity. Explore the park’s stunning trails and immerse yourself in the natural beauty that surrounds you.
Taste Local Delights at the Hickory Farmers Market
To experience the true essence of local cuisine and support the hardworking farmers and food producers in the community, visit the Hickory Farmers Market. Here, you can taste local delights:
- Taste fresh, locally grown produce straight from the farmers’ fields. Enjoy the juicy sweetness of ripe tomatoes, crispness of lettuce, and the vibrant flavors of berries.
- Savor artisanal cheeses made by local dairy farmers. Experience the creamy textures and distinct flavors of cheddar, gouda, and feta.
- Indulge in homemade baked goods crafted with love by local bakers. Delight in the fluffy cakes, flaky pastries, and warm bread freshly baked that morning.
- Try unique, handcrafted jams and preserves made from locally sourced fruits. Experience the burst of flavors and luscious textures in each spoonful.
- Sample freshly roasted coffee beans from local coffee roasters. Enjoy the aromatic brews and rich flavors that will awaken your senses.
- Explore the diverse selection of local honey produced by beekeepers in the area. Taste the natural sweetness and various floral notes of different honey varieties.
- Enjoy farm-fresh eggs laid by free-range chickens. Appreciate the vibrant yolks and rich flavors that come with eggs produced in a natural and healthy environment.
- Discover unique spices and seasonings made by local artisans. Enhance your culinary creations with these carefully crafted blends of flavors.
Discover Local Crafts at the Foothills Folk Art Festival
Discover the Foothills Folk Art Festival, the perfect opportunity to explore and appreciate local crafts in Hickory, North Carolina. This remarkable festival showcases the immense creativity and talent of local artisans in the region. Prepare to be captivated by an impressive array of handmade crafts, including exquisite pottery, captivating paintings, intricate sculptures, and stunning textiles. These masterpieces not only demonstrate the skill of the craftsmen but also celebrate the rich cultural heritage of the area, providing a unique and fascinating insight into the local art scene. By attending this remarkable festival, you not only have the chance to support and uplift local artists but also acquire one-of-a-kind pieces that beautifully reflect the spirit of the community. Whether you are an avid art enthusiast or simply appreciate the unparalleled beauty of handmade crafts, the Foothills Folk Art Festival is an event that simply cannot be missed. Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere, engage with the talented artists, and become enthralled by the captivating world of local arts and crafts at this thrilling annual event.
Relax at the Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park
When visiting Hickory, North Carolina, it is a must-do activity to relax at the Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park. This park offers a serene and peaceful atmosphere, which is perfect for unwinding and enjoying nature.
The Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park, with its lush green spaces, tranquil lake, and beautiful walking trails, provides an ideal setting to recharge and rejuvenate. Additionally, picnic areas are available where you can enjoy a leisurely meal while being surrounded by the park’s natural beauty.
Moreover, the Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park offers various recreational activities, such as fishing and boating, which can further enhance your relaxation experience. The park’s well-maintained amenities and scenic views make it a favorite spot for both locals and tourists.
Whether you’re seeking to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life or simply want to enjoy some quiet time outdoors, the Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park is the perfect destination to relax and unwind.
What Is Hickory, North Carolina Known For?
Hickory, North Carolina is known for its rich history in furniture manufacturing and is often referred to as the “Furniture Capital of North Carolina.”
The city is home to numerous furniture manufacturers and showrooms, showcasing its expertise in craftsmanship and design.
Hickory is also known for its vibrant arts scene, with several art galleries and studios that showcase local talent.
Additionally, the city is renowned for its scenic beauty, nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, and offers ample opportunities for outdoor activities such as hiking, fishing, and boating.
A pro-tip for visitors to Hickory is to explore the Hickory Furniture Mart, a vast retail complex that offers a wide range of furniture and home decor options, making it a must-visit for furniture enthusiasts and interior design aficionados alike.
Is Hickory, NC a Good Place to Live?
Hickory, NC is a good place to live for several reasons. Is Hickory, NC a Good Place to Live? The city offers a strong sense of community and a welcoming atmosphere. The cost of living in Hickory is lower compared to many other cities in the United States, making it an affordable place to call home. The crime rate is relatively low, providing a safe environment for residents. The city is also known for its excellent education system, with highly rated schools that ensure a quality education for children. Hickory has a diverse range of housing options, from affordable apartments to spacious homes, catering to various budgetary needs. Additionally, the city boasts a beautiful natural environment, with scenic parks and nearby attractions like Lake Hickory. The weather in Hickory is generally mild, with warm summers and cool winters, allowing residents to enjoy outdoor activities throughout the year.
What Is the Weather Like in Hickory, NC?
The weather in Hickory, NC is generally mild with distinct seasons throughout the year. Summers are warm and humid, with average high temperatures reaching around 88 degrees Fahrenheit. Winters can be cool to cold, with average lows dropping to around 28 degrees Fahrenheit. Snowfall is moderate, with an average of 5 inches per year.
Spring and fall bring comfortable temperatures, with highs ranging from the 60s to the 70s. These seasons are known for their pleasant weather and colorful foliage.
Rainfall is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year, with an average of 45 inches annually. The wettest months tend to be June, July, and August.
It is important to note that weather patterns can vary from year to year, so it is recommended to check the local forecast for the most up-to-date information.
What Are Some Nearby Attractions from Hickory, NC?
When visiting Hickory, NC, there are several nearby attractions that you can explore:
- The Hickory Furniture Mart is a must-visit for furniture enthusiasts, offering a wide selection of furniture brands and styles.
- Discover the rich history of the region at the Hickory Museum of Art, which showcases various art exhibitions and collections.
- Experience the beauty of nature at Lake Hickory, where you can enjoy activities like boating, fishing, and picnicking.
- Take a leisurely stroll at the Catawba Science Center, where you can learn about science through interactive exhibits and planetarium shows.
- Immerse yourself in the performing arts by attending a show at the Hickory Community Theatre, known for its diverse theatrical productions.
- Indulge in some retail therapy at the Valley Hills Mall, home to numerous stores and boutiques offering a range of products.
- Embark on a hiking adventure at Bakers Mountain Park, offering scenic trails for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Satisfy your taste buds at the Hickory Farmers Market, where you can find a variety of local delights such as fresh produce, baked goods, and artisanal products.
- Discover unique local crafts at the Foothills Folk Art Festival, showcasing the talents of regional artisans.
- Unwind and relax at the Glenn C. Hilton Jr. Memorial Park, a serene park offering beautiful views and recreational amenities.
These attractions provide a diverse range of experiences, ensuring there is something for everyone to enjoy in and around Hickory, NC.
What are the Best Restaurants in Hickory, NC?
When it comes to dining options, Hickory, NC offers a variety of restaurants that cater to different tastes and preferences. What are the Best Restaurants in Hickory, NC?
- Red Pepper Deli & Grill: Known for its delicious sandwiches and wraps, this cozy deli offers a range of options for both meat lovers and vegetarians. Their homemade soups and salads are also popular.
- Fourk: A fine dining restaurant with a focus on locally sourced ingredients, Fourk offers a sophisticated menu with dishes like seared scallops and braised short ribs. The elegant atmosphere and attentive service make it a great choice for special occasions.
- Hickory Smokehouse BBQ: If you’re in the mood for some mouthwatering barbecue, this is the place to go. Their slow-smoked meats, flavorful sauces, and tasty sides will satisfy any barbecue lover.
- Olde Hickory Station: A favorite among locals, Olde Hickory Station is a brewpub that offers not only a great selection of craft beers but also a menu of delicious pub food. From burgers to fish and chips, there’s something for everyone.
- Cafe Gouda: If you’re in search of a cozy cafe with tasty food, Cafe Gouda is a must-visit. Their menu features gourmet sandwiches, salads, and quiches, as well as a variety of coffee and tea options.
- House of Nom Nom: For those craving Asian flavors, House of Nom Nom is a popular choice. Their menu includes dishes from various Asian cuisines, such as sushi, ramen, and Korean fried chicken.
Whether you’re in the mood for deli sandwiches, upscale dining, barbecue, pub food, or international flavors, Hickory, NC has something to offer for everyone’s taste. What are the Best Restaurants in Hickory, NC?
Are There Any Annual Events in Hickory, NC?
Are There Any Annual Events in Hickory, NC? Hickory, NC offers a variety of annual events that cater to different interests and preferences. These events highlight the local culture, arts, and community spirit of the city. From festivals to celebrations, Hickory, NC has something for everyone to enjoy.
One of the annual events in Hickory, NC is the Hickory Oktoberfest. This vibrant festival takes place every October and brings together locals and visitors alike to celebrate German culture with traditional food, beer, live music, and entertainment. The Hickory Oktoberfest is a fun-filled event that attracts a large crowd each year.
Another popular event is the Hickory Hops Beer Festival. Craft beer enthusiasts can sample a wide range of beers from local and regional breweries. With live music and food vendors, the Hickory Hops Beer Festival offers a great opportunity to socialize and discover new flavors.
For art lovers, the Footcandle Film Festival is not to be missed. This annual event showcases independent films from around the world and provides a platform for filmmakers to share their creativity and storytelling. The Footcandle Film Festival in Hickory, NC is a unique opportunity to experience cinema beyond mainstream movies.
In addition, the Hickory Crawdads, a minor league baseball team, host various events throughout the season. From fireworks shows to themed nights, attending a game is a great way to enjoy a fun-filled evening with family and friends.
Whether you’re a foodie, music lover, film enthusiast, or sports fan, there are annual events in Hickory, NC that are sure to capture your interest and provide memorable experiences.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the best things to do in Hickory, North Carolina?
Answer: Hickory, North Carolina offers a wide range of attractions and activities. Some popular options include exploring scenic nature trails, visiting furniture stores and consignment shops, enjoying the vibrant arts and culture scene, and engaging in outdoor activities such as kayaking in Lake Hickory and the Catawba River.
2. Is Hickory known for its manufacturing companies?
Answer: Yes, Hickory is known as “The Furniture Capital of the World” and is home to craft furniture stores, vintage boutiques, and consignment shops. The city has a rich history in furniture making, making it a shopping mecca for those interested in quality furniture and vintage items.
3. What are some family-friendly attractions in Hickory?
Answer: Hickory offers several family-friendly attractions such as the Hickory Museum of Art, Hiddenite Arts & Heritage Center, Catawba Science Center, and Hickory Crawdads Minor League Baseball team. These attractions provide opportunities for educational and interactive experiences suitable for visitors of all ages.
4. Are there any unique coffee shops in Hickory?
Answer: Yes, one unique coffee shop in Hickory is the Taproot Coffee Bus, located in a bus and offering different types of coffee and brewing methods. This is a great place for coffee enthusiasts to find creativity and enjoy a cup of coffee in a unique setting.
5. Where is the best place to stay in Hickory?
Answer: Hickory offers a range of hotel options for visitors. Some highly recommended hotels in the area include Hilton Garden Inn, Sleep Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, and Hampton Inn. These hotels provide comfortable accommodations and convenient access to the city’s attractions.
6. Are there any popular day trips from Hickory, North Carolina?
Answer: Yes, Hickory is conveniently located near Asheville, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, and Boone, making it a perfect starting point for day trips to these cities. Visitors can explore the Blue Ridge Parkway, visit famous art museums, such as the Hickory Museum of Art showcasing pieces by Andy Warhol, or enjoy outdoor activities in the foothills of North Carolina.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.