Joplin, Missouri (MO) is a charming city that offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. From museums to parks, art centers to natural wonders, Joplin has something for everyone. Here are some top things to do in Joplin:
1. Visit the Joplin Museum Complex: Explore the rich history of Joplin through exhibits and artifacts that showcase the city’s mining past and unique cultural heritage.
2. Explore the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts: Immerse yourself in the vibrant art scene of Joplin at this center, which features rotating exhibits, workshops, and classes.
3. Discover the Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center: Experience the beauty of nature at this conservation area, which offers hiking trails, wildlife viewing, and educational programs.
4. Enjoy Outdoors at Cunningham Park: This picturesque park is perfect for outdoor enthusiasts, offering walking trails, picnic areas, playgrounds, and a splash pad for cooling off in the summer.
5. Take a Stroll in Mercy Park: Located downtown, this urban park is a peaceful oasis with beautiful landscaping, a gazebo, and a fountain.
6. Shop at Northpark Mall: Get your retail therapy fix at this shopping destination, which features a wide range of stores, boutiques, and dining options.
7. Experience History at the Bonnie and Clyde Hideout: Step back in time and visit the former hideout of the notorious outlaw couple, Bonnie and Clyde, and learn about their escapades in the area.
8. Visit the Grand Falls: Marvel at the natural wonder of the Grand Falls, which is the largest continuously flowing waterfall in Missouri and offers a scenic backdrop for outdoor activities.
9. Explore the Precious Moments Chapel: Admire the intricate artistry and craftsmanship of the Precious Moments figurines and enjoy the serene atmosphere of the chapel.
10. Enjoy Golfing at Schifferdecker Golf Course: Tee off at this well-maintained golf course, which offers challenging holes and beautiful views.
Joplin, Missouri has a rich history, and there are plenty of local events and festivals that showcase the city’s culture and community spirit. The city also boasts a diverse dining scene, with a range of restaurants offering delicious cuisine to satisfy any palate. Families will find a host of kid-friendly activities and attractions in Joplin, from parks and playgrounds to interactive museums. shopping enthusiasts will find unique shopping opportunities in the city, with a mix of local boutiques and national retailers. And for those seeking outdoor adventures, Joplin is surrounded by natural beauty, with nearby options for hiking, fishing, and more.
Visit the Joplin Museum Complex
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jeffrey Lopez
The Joplin Museum Complex is a must-visit attraction in Joplin, Missouri. When you visit the Joplin Museum Complex, you will have the opportunity to explore multiple museums that showcase the rich history and culture of the city. It is a unique chance to learn about the past and gain a deeper understanding of the community. Don’t miss the chance to immerse yourself in the fascinating stories and artifacts that the Joplin Museum Complex has to offer. One fun fact about the Joplin Museum Complex is that it is home to the world’s largest collection of Bonnie and Clyde artifacts, including the actual death car that the notorious criminal duo was driving when they were ambushed by law enforcement. So, when you are in Joplin, make sure to visit the Joplin Museum Complex and make the most of this incredible experience.
Explore the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts
The George A. Spiva Center for the Arts offers a variety of artistic experiences for visitors.
Visitors can explore the center’s galleries, which showcase a diverse range of artworks from local and international artists.
The center also hosts a regular schedule of exhibitions, providing opportunities to engage with contemporary art trends.
Additionally, the center offers educational programs, workshops, and classes that cater to both children and adults.
By participating in these programs, visitors can deepen their understanding and appreciation of the arts.
Whether you are interested in painting, sculpture, photography, or other artistic mediums, the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts provides a welcoming space to explore and immerse yourself in the world of art.
So, if you’re in Joplin, Missouri, be sure to visit the center and experience the enriching environment it has to offer.
Explore the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts.
Discover the Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Nathan Mitchell
Discover the Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center, a hidden gem in Joplin, Missouri, to immerse yourself in the natural beauty of the region. This center offers a myriad of exciting activities and opportunities to observe the diverse flora and fauna of the Wildcat Glades area, including rare and endangered species. Engage in educational programs and interactive exhibits to learn about conservation and environmental stewardship. Embark on scenic hiking trails that wind through the glades, offering breathtaking views of the surroundings. Take advantage of the excellent birdwatching opportunities, as the center is part of the Audubon Important Bird Area. You can also contribute to the preservation efforts by participating in volunteer programs and supporting the center’s mission.
Immerse yourself in nature and discover the Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center, a hidden gem in Joplin, Missouri.
Enjoy Outdoors at Cunningham Park
When visiting Joplin, Missouri, make sure to enjoy the outdoors at Cunningham Park.
- Take a leisurely stroll along the park’s walking trails, surrounded by lush greenery and beautiful scenery.
- Bring your picnic basket and relax in the picnic areas, enjoying the outdoors at Cunningham Park, while having a meal with family or friends.
- Engage in outdoor activities such as Frisbee, soccer, or volleyball on the wide-open fields and enjoy the outdoors at Cunningham Park.
- Feel the adrenaline rush as you ride your bike along the park’s bike trails, taking in the fresh air and enjoying the outdoors at Cunningham Park surrounded by natural surroundings.
- Let your children have a blast at the playground, where they can swing, slide, and use their imaginations, enjoying the outdoors at Cunningham Park.
At Cunningham Park, you can surround yourself with nature and enjoy the outdoors at Cunningham Park through various outdoor activities.
Take a Stroll in Mercy Park
Mercy Park in Joplin, Missouri is the perfect place to “take a stroll.” The park offers beautiful scenery and a peaceful atmosphere. As you “walk” through the park, you can “enjoy” the lush greenery and the calming sound of flowing water from the nearby creek. “Take a moment” to sit on one of the park benches and “appreciate” the natural beauty around you. Whether you’re looking to relax or get some exercise, a “stroll in Mercy Park” is a great way to spend your time. So, next time you’re in Joplin, don’t forget to “take a stroll in Mercy Park.”
Shop at Northpark Mall
When in Joplin, Missouri, don’t miss the chance to shop at Northpark Mall for an amazing shopping experience. The mall offers a wide variety of stores, including popular fashion brands, electronics, and home goods. With over 100 stores to choose from, you’ll definitely find something for everyone. Make sure to take advantage of the sales and discounts available and spend a day exploring and shopping at Northpark Mall.
Fun Fact: Northpark Mall, spanning over 800,000 square feet of retail space, is the largest mall in the Joplin area!
Experience History at the Bonnie and Clyde Hideout
Experience history at the Bonnie and Clyde Hideout in Joplin, Missouri.
- Step back in time: Visit the actual hideout where Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow sought refuge during their notorious crime spree in the 1930s.
- Explore their world: Walk through the rooms of the hideout and see the artifacts from their time, including weapons, personal items, and photographs.
- Learn about their lives: Discover the fascinating stories of Bonnie and Clyde, their criminal activities, and the life they led on the run.
- Experience the thrill: Imagine the adrenaline rush as you stand in the very place where these infamous outlaws planned their next move.
- Gain insights from knowledgeable guides: Listen to expert guides who will provide in-depth information about the hideout and the historical context surrounding Bonnie and Clyde.
- Appreciate the era: Immerse yourself in the ambiance of the 1930s, gaining a deeper understanding of the challenges and conditions of that time.
Visiting the Bonnie and Clyde Hideout allows you to Experience History at the Bonnie and Clyde Hideout and immerse yourself in the history and intrigue of one of America’s most notorious criminal duos.
Visit the Grand Falls
To fully experience the natural beauty of Joplin, Missouri, visit the Grand Falls. This magnificent waterfall is a must-see attraction in the area. As you approach the falls, the roaring sound of the rushing water can be heard, creating a sense of excitement. The sheer size and power of the falls are awe-inspiring. With a drop of 12 feet and a width of 163 feet, the Grand Falls is one of the largest continuously flowing waterfalls in the state. Be prepared to be amazed by the stunning views and the force of nature. Whether you are a nature enthusiast, a photographer, or just looking for a peaceful retreat, visit the Grand Falls will undoubtedly leave a lasting impression.
Explore the Precious Moments Chapel
If you’re visiting Joplin, Missouri, one of the must-see attractions is the Precious Moments Chapel. Here are some ways to
- Marvel at the intricate artistry of the chapel’s murals, which depict scenes and stories from the Bible.
- Admire the stunning architecture of the chapel, with its grand arches, intricate details, and peaceful atmosphere.
- Take a guided tour to learn more about the history and significance of the Precious Moments Chapel.
- Visit the Precious Moments Gift Shop to browse a wide selection of figurines, collectibles, and unique gifts.
- Attend a special event or concert held at the chapel, and enjoy the acoustics and ambiance of this inspiring venue.
Whether you’re a fan of the Precious Moments artwork or simply looking for a serene and beautiful place to visit, exploring the Precious Moments Chapel is a memorable experience in Joplin, Missouri.
Enjoy Golfing at Schifferdecker Golf Course
When visiting Joplin, Missouri, don’t miss the opportunity to enjoy golfing at Schifferdecker Golf Course. Here are some reasons why it should be on your list:
- Beautiful Scenery: Schifferdecker Golf Course offers stunning views of rolling greens and lush landscapes.
- Challenging Tees: Golfers of all skill levels will appreciate the challenging tees that test their abilities.
- Well-Maintained Course: The course is meticulously maintained, providing a smooth and enjoyable playing experience.
- Friendly Staff: The staff at Schifferdecker Golf Course is known for their exceptional hospitality and excellent customer service.
- Pro Shop: Get everything you need for a great game at the well-stocked pro shop.
- Practice Facilities: Take advantage of the practice facilities, including a driving range and putting greens, to refine your skills.
Fact: Schifferdecker Golf Course has been named one of the top public golf courses in Missouri.
What Is the History of Joplin, Missouri?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Kevin White
Joplin, Missouri has a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1873. The city’s growth was primarily driven by the mining industry, especially lead and zinc. At the height of its mining boom in the early 20th century, Joplin was known as the “Zinc Capital of the World.” The mining industry attracted people from all over the country, leading to a diverse community in Joplin.
The city has faced several challenges throughout its history, including the devastating tornado that struck in 2011. Despite these challenges, Joplin has shown resilience and has rebuilt itself, becoming a vibrant and thriving community.
A notable part of Joplin’s history is its connection to the iconic Route 66. The famous highway passed through the city, bringing travelers and tourists from coast to coast. Today, visitors can still see remnants of its Route 66 heritage, including historic landmarks and nostalgic roadside attractions.
Fun fact: Joplin, Missouri is home to the Bonnie and Clyde Garage Apartment, a site associated with the infamous crime duo Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow. They stayed in the apartment before their fateful encounter with law enforcement in 1933.
What Are Some Local Events and Festivals in Joplin?
Are you wondering what are some local events and festivals in Joplin? Well, there are several exciting options to choose from. Here are some noteworthy ones:
- Joplin Arts Fest: This annual festival showcases local artists and their work, providing a platform for the community to appreciate and support the arts scene in Joplin.
- Third Thursday: Held on the third Thursday of each month, this downtown event features live music, food vendors, and special promotions from local businesses. It’s a great opportunity to explore the city’s vibrant downtown area.
- Boomtown Days: A celebration of Joplin’s heritage, this festival takes place in the historic district and offers activities such as live entertainment, arts and crafts booths, and delicious food options.
- Joplin Memorial Run: This annual event honors the victims of the 2011 tornado and raises funds for community development projects. Participants can choose to run or walk in various distances, making it a family-friendly activity.
- Holiday Parades: Joplin hosts several parades throughout the year, including the Christmas Parade and the Fourth of July Parade. These festive events bring the community together and infuse the city with a sense of joy and celebration.
These local events and festivals in Joplin offer something for everyone, whether you’re interested in the arts, community celebrations, or supporting local causes. What are you waiting for? Keep an eye on the city’s event calendar to stay updated on upcoming happenings.
Where Can You Find the Best Restaurants in Joplin?
When looking for the best restaurants in Joplin, you may wonder, “Where can you find the best restaurants in Joplin?” Well, you have a variety of great options to choose from:
- Red Onion Cafe: Known for its delicious sandwiches and salads, Red Onion Cafe offers a diverse menu with fresh ingredients sourced locally.
- Café Del Rio: For Mexican food lovers, Café Del Rio is a must-visit. Their extensive menu includes flavorful dishes like enchiladas, fajitas, and tasty margaritas.
- Instant Karma Gourmet Hot Dogs: If you’re in the mood for a unique dining experience, Instant Karma is the place to go. They serve gourmet hot dogs with a variety of toppings and delicious sides.
- Joplin Avenue Coffee Company: This cozy coffee shop not only offers a variety of coffees and teas but also serves delicious breakfast and lunch options. Their sandwiches and pastries are a hit among locals.
- Hackett Hot Wings: For spicy food enthusiasts, Hackett Hot Wings is a must-try. They offer a wide selection of flavorful wing sauces and tasty sides, making it a favorite spot for wing lovers.
These are just a few of the best restaurants in Joplin that offer a range of cuisines to satisfy every palate. So, if you’re wondering where to find the best restaurants in Joplin, look no further than these fantastic dining establishments!
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Joplin?
Are you wondering about what are some family-friendly activities in Joplin? Well, when you visit Joplin, Missouri, there are numerous activities that the whole family can enjoy. Let me offer you some suggestions:
- One must-visit place is the Joplin Museum Complex, where you can delve into the city’s history and explore captivating interactive exhibits.
- For art enthusiasts of all ages, the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts is a must-see. This center offers intriguing art exhibitions, engaging classes, and inspiring workshops.
- If you love nature and conservation, the Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center is the ideal destination. You can embark on hikes along picturesque nature trails, spot a variety of wildlife, and discover fascinating facts about the local ecosystem.
- For outdoor enthusiasts, Cunningham Park is the perfect spot. It boasts playgrounds, picnic areas, and scenic walking paths.
- Another fantastic option is Mercy Park, a serene green space that offers a lake, playgrounds, and a refreshing splash pad where kids can cool off.
These family-friendly activities in Joplin provide an excellent blend of fun and educational experiences suitable for visitors of all ages.
Where Can You Find Unique Shopping Opportunities in Joplin?
When visiting Joplin, Missouri, you may wonder, “Where can you find unique shopping opportunities in Joplin?” Well, let me tell you!
- One must-visit spot is the Northpark Mall. It’s a popular shopping destination in Joplin that offers a wide range of retail stores. You’ll find everything from clothing, accessories, to electronics and more.
- If you’re in the mood for a charming and historical shopping experience, take a stroll through the downtown area of Joplin. Here, you can explore boutique shops, antique stores, and local artisans showcasing their unique creations.
- For a taste of vintage and handmade items, head over to the Emporium on the Square. This charming shop is a treasure trove of clothing, jewelry, home decor, and gifts.
- If you’re looking for a unique gift, check out the Freeman Hospital Gift Shop located within Freeman Hospital. They offer a selection of artisan crafts, books, and floral arrangements.
- For fresh produce, handmade crafts, and locally sourced products, Joplin has several farmers markets. Don’t miss the Webb City Farmers Market or the Downtown Joplin Farmers Market.
- Joplin is also known for its specialty shops that cater to specific interests. From comic book stores to hobby shops, and even gourmet food stores, there’s something for everyone.
So whether you’re in search of trendy fashion, one-of-a-kind treasures, or fresh local produce, Joplin has a diverse selection of unique shopping opportunities to satisfy every taste and interest.
What Are Some Nearby Outdoor Recreation Options?
Looking for nearby outdoor recreation options? Visit the Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center for hiking, bird-watching, and exploring nature trails.
Enjoy a day at Cunningham Park, where you can go for a bike ride, have a picnic, or play sports on the fields.
Take a stroll in Mercy Park, which features walking paths, a pond, and beautiful landscaping.
Experience the beauty of Grand Falls, a stunning natural waterfall located just outside of Joplin.
Go fishing, boating, or swimming at nearby lakes such as Shoal Creek Conservation Area or Stockton Lake.
Explore the scenic hiking trails at the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts, which offers a chance to see local wildlife.
Engage in outdoor activities like camping, horseback riding, and mountain biking at Big Sugar Creek State Park.
Spend a day golfing at Schifferdecker Golf Course, a public course with beautiful views and challenging holes.
Take a short drive to the beautiful Ozark Mountains, where you can go hiking, camping, and enjoy the picturesque scenery.
Visit Wildcat Park, a popular spot for fishing, walking trails, and enjoying nature.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top things to do in Joplin, Missouri?
Some of the top things to do in Joplin, Missouri include visiting The Precious Moments Chapel, Galena, Precious Moments Park, Grand Falls Blvd, and George Washington Carver National Monument. These attractions offer a range of experiences for visitors to enjoy.
Are there any budget-friendly attractions near Joplin?
Yes, there are budget-friendly attractions in nearby cities within 25 miles of Joplin, such as Carthage, Miami, Neosho, and Galena. These cities offer a variety of activities and experiences at affordable prices.
Where can I learn scuba diving in Joplin?
You can learn scuba diving at Calypso Scuba and Swim, located at 1840 N Range Line Rd. in Joplin. They have an indoor aquatic simulator where you can practice breathing underwater in a heated environment.
What are some recommended parks to visit in Joplin?
Two recommended parks in Joplin are Cunningham Park, located at W 26th St & S Maiden Ln, and Leonard Park, located at 501-599 Turk Avenue. Cunningham Park offers playgrounds, a waterpark, ponds, and monuments, while Leonard Park features grassy fields, trees, sports facilities, and picnic areas.
What are some attractions for art enthusiasts in Joplin?
For art enthusiasts, Joplin offers the George A. Spiva Center for the Arts, located at 222 West 3rd Street. This center promotes visual arts, performing arts, and literature. Additionally, downtown Joplin has murals, studios, and musical experiences to explore.
What outdoor activities are available in Joplin and its surrounding areas?
Joplin and its surrounding areas offer a variety of outdoor activities. You can enjoy the natural beauty of the Ozark region, explore iconic Route 66, and engage in activities like axe-throwing, paintball, and aquatic adventures in the parks and rivers.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.