Manitou Springs, Colorado, is a charming and picturesque town nestled at the base of the Rocky Mountains. With its stunning natural beauty and rich history, Manitou Springs offers a variety of activities and attractions to explore. From ancient cliff dwellings to scenic outdoor spaces, and from fascinating museums to unique shopping and dining experiences, there is something for everyone in this quaint town.
Outlined below are ten things to do in Manitou Springs:
- Explore the Manitou Cliff Dwellings: Step back in time and visit the Ancestral Puebloan cliff dwellings, which provide a glimpse into the lives of the Native American inhabitants of the region.
- Take a Walk through the Garden of the Gods: Marvel at the towering sandstone rock formations and enjoy scenic hiking trails in this iconic natural landmark.
- Ride the Pikes Peak Cog Railway: Embark on a memorable train ride up Pikes Peak, the highest summit of the southern Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.
- Visit the Manitou Springs Heritage Center: Delve into the town’s history and culture at this museum, featuring exhibits on Native American heritage, mining, and more.
- Relax at the Manitou Springs Mineral Springs: Indulge in the healing properties of the natural mineral springs found throughout the town, known for their therapeutic benefits.
- Enjoy the Outdoors at Red Rock Canyon Open Space: Explore the numerous trails for hiking, biking, and rock climbing in this scenic outdoor space just outside of Manitou Springs.
- Discover the Miramont Castle Museum: Tour this historic castle turned museum, showcasing Victorian-era architecture, antique furnishings, and intriguing exhibits.
- Shop and Dine in Downtown Manitou Springs: Wander the charming streets of downtown Manitou Springs, browse unique boutiques, art galleries, and savor local cuisine at the many restaurants and cafes.
- Take a Hike in the Manitou Incline: Challenge yourself on this steep and popular hiking trail, featuring wooden steps that ascend the mountainside, providing stunning views along the way.
- Have Fun at the Manitou Springs Penny Arcade: Step into a world of vintage arcade games and entertainment at this nostalgic family-friendly attraction.
To plan your visit, it’s essential to consider the weather and best times to visit Manitou Springs. knowing how to get to the town and where to stay are important details to make your trip smooth. Exploring nearby attractions and checking out local events or festivals can also add even more excitement to your Manitou Springs adventure.
Manitou Springs, Colorado, is a delightful destination offering a perfect blend of natural beauty, history, and recreational opportunities for visitors to indulge in.
Explore the Manitou Cliff Dwellings
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Peter Thomas
If you are visiting Manitou Springs, Colorado, exploring the Manitou Cliff Dwellings is a must. This remarkable site offers a unique opportunity to explore the dwellings and immerse yourself in the history of the Ancestral Puebloans who lived there over 700 years ago. Marvel at the impressive stone structures and imagine what life was like for these ancient inhabitants.
During your visit to the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, remember to bring comfortable shoes and stay hydrated with plenty of water, as there will be walking and climbing involved. Don’t forget your camera to capture the stunning views from the site. It is essential to show respect for the dwellings and the artifacts they contain by refraining from touching or removing anything. Take your time to fully appreciate the experience and the rich history that surrounds this incredible site.
Take a Walk through the Garden of the Gods
When exploring Manitou Springs, Colorado, make sure to take a Walk through the Garden of the Gods. This iconic natural landmark offers breathtaking views and unique rock formations. Experience the beauty of the towering red rocks as you stroll along the well-maintained trails. Marvel at the impressive balance rock and the picturesque scenery. The Garden of the Gods is a must-visit destination for nature enthusiasts and photographers alike. Don’t forget your camera to capture the stunning landscapes and the majestic beauty of this extraordinary place.
Ride the Pikes Peak Cog Railway
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by George Martin
To truly experience the beauty of Manitou Springs, Colorado, make sure to ride the Pikes Peak Cog Railway. Here are a few reasons why:
Scenic Views: Riding the Pikes Peak Cog Railway offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes. As you ascend to the summit, you’ll be treated to panoramic vistas of the Rocky Mountains.
Historical Significance: The Pikes Peak Cog Railway is an iconic attraction with a rich history. It has been operating since 1891, making it the highest cog railway in the world. Riding it is like stepping back in time.
Convenience: The railway eliminates the need to navigate winding roads or hike uphill to reach the summit of Pikes Peak. It provides a comfortable and convenient way to enjoy the stunning scenery without the effort.
Unique Experience: Riding a cog railway is a unique and memorable experience. The Pikes Peak Cog Railway is one of only a few in the United States, making it a must-do activity for visitors to Manitou Springs.
So, don’t miss the opportunity to ride the Pikes Peak Cog Railway and take in the unparalleled beauty of the Colorado landscape from the summit.
Visit the Manitou Springs Heritage Center
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Bradley Hall
If you’re planning a trip to Manitou Springs, Colorado, you absolutely must make a stop at the Manitou Springs Heritage Center. Take the time to explore this captivating venue and delve into the area’s rich history and culture. Within the exhibits, you’ll find a treasure trove of historic buildings, artifacts, and photographs that offer a glimpse into the past. Immerse yourself in the heritage of Manitou Springs and gain a deeper understanding of its roots by visiting this wonderful center. Whether you have a passion for history or simply a curiosity about the town’s background, you’ll find that a visit to the Manitou Springs Heritage Center is truly worth it.
Here’s a fun fact: Did you know that the Manitou Springs Heritage Center is housed in the town’s first schoolhouse, constructed way back in 1880? This historical building itself adds to the charm and authenticity of the experience, making your visit all the more memorable.
Relax at the Manitou Springs Mineral Springs
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Joe Smith
Relax at the Manitou Springs Mineral Springs to experience a rejuvenating time. Visitors can immerse themselves in the healing properties of the mineral-rich water to boost overall well-being and enhance relaxation. With multiple springs to choose from, there are plenty of opportunities to indulge in this natural wonder. The mineral springs create a tranquil atmosphere, perfect for unwinding and relieving stress. Savor the soothing qualities of the mineral water as you soak in the serene surroundings. Whether you’re looking to unwind after a long day of exploration or simply seeking a moment of tranquility, the Manitou Springs Mineral Springs provide the ideal ambiance for relaxation.
Enjoy the Outdoors at Red Rock Canyon Open Space
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Robert Rivera
Experience the great outdoors at Red Rock Canyon Open Space in Manitou Springs, Colorado. This breathtaking open space offers visitors the chance to immerse themselves in the beauty of nature, surrounded by stunning red rock formations. Take a leisurely hike along the various trails or simply marvel at the picturesque views of the surrounding area.
Encompassing over 1,400 acres, Red Rock Canyon Open Space caters to outdoor enthusiasts of all skill levels. Whether you are an avid hiker, a mountain biker, or enjoy exploring on horseback, this open space provides endless opportunities for adventure.
With an extensive network of 10 miles worth of trails, you can wander through captivating rock formations, appreciate the diverse flora and fauna, and bask in the serenity of the natural world. Look out for glimpses of wildlife such as deer, rabbits, and an array of bird species that call this area home.
Whether you are a seasoned outdoor aficionado or seeking a tranquil retreat to unwind and appreciate the fresh air, Red Rock Canyon Open Space is the ultimate destination. Remember to bring essentials like water, sunscreen, and comfortable shoes for your escapade!
Red Rock Canyon Open Space boasts a rich history that spans thousands of years. Native American tribes, including the Ute, Cheyenne, and Arapaho, once inhabited this sacred land, utilizing it for vital activities such as hunting, gathering, and spiritual ceremonies. Subsequently, during the 19th century, early settlers and miners were drawn to this area. Today, it stands as a cherished natural haven for both locals and tourists.
Discover the Miramont Castle Museum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jordan Wilson
If you’re visiting Manitou Springs, Colorado, one must-see attraction is the Miramont Castle Museum. Here are some reasons why you should discover the Miramont Castle Museum during your visit to Manitou Springs:
- The castle was built in the late 19th century and showcases stunning Victorian architecture.
- Inside the museum, you can explore beautifully decorated rooms filled with antique furniture, intricate woodwork, and elegant chandeliers.
- Learn about the history of the castle and the families who lived there through informative exhibits and guided tours.
- Discover the secrets and stories behind the castle’s unique features, including hidden staircases and secret rooms.
- Take a stroll through the castle’s gardens and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere surrounded by colorful flowers and lush greenery.
- Don’t forget to visit the gift shop, where you can find unique souvenirs and mementos to remember your visit.
For a memorable experience that combines history, architecture, and natural beauty, make sure to discover the Miramont Castle Museum during your visit to Manitou Springs, Colorado.
Shop and Dine in Downtown Manitou Springs
- When visiting the Colorado town, a must-do experience is to shop and dine in Downtown Manitou Springs.
- Along Manitou Avenue, you can explore the unique shops that offer a variety of arts, crafts, clothing, and souvenirs.
- In the area, there is a diverse range of restaurants where you can treat yourself to delicious cuisine.
- Indulge in local flavors and international dishes, including Mexican, Italian, and American cuisine, while you dine in Downtown Manitou Springs.
Downtown Manitou Springs has been a hub for shopping and dining since the late 1800s. The area developed during the Victorian era, with numerous merchants and establishments catering to the needs of locals and visitors. Today, the charm and historic ambiance remain, making it a delightful destination for those looking to shop and dine in a quaint setting.
Take a Hike in the Manitou Incline
To embark on a hiking adventure in the Manitou Incline, follow these steps:
- Prepare for the hike by donning comfortable hiking shoes and suitable clothing.
- Ensure you have an ample supply of water and snacks to remain hydrated and energized.
- Commence your journey at the trailhead and begin ascending the incline, characterized by a series of steep steps.
- Take breaks whenever necessary to catch your breath and rejuvenate.
- Persist in your climb until you reach the summit, relishing the breathtaking views along the way.
- Immerse yourself in the beauty of the surrounding nature and capture the memories with photographs.
- Upon reaching the peak, take a moment to celebrate your accomplishment and savor the panoramic vista.
- Consider descending via the Barr Trail for a unique experience instead of the incline.
- Always be mindful of your surroundings and show respect to fellow hikers on the trail.
Have Fun at the Manitou Springs Penny Arcade
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Gregory Hall
If you’re looking to have fun at the Manitou Springs Penny Arcade in Colorado, be sure to check it out. Here are some exciting activities that you can enjoy at the arcade:
- Play classic and modern arcade games: At the Penny Arcade, you can have fun and immerse yourself in a nostalgic gaming experience by playing a wide variety of classic arcade games like pinball, Pac-Man, and Donkey Kong. You can also try your hand at more modern games for a fun and challenging time.
- Try your luck at the coin-operated machines: Test your luck at the various coin-operated machines available at the arcade. From claw machines filled with stuffed toys to fortune-telling machines, there’s something for everyone.
- Enjoy interactive attractions: Have fun and experience interactive attractions like the shooting gallery or the air hockey tables that are sure to bring out your competitive spirit.
- Win prizes: As you play the games and try your luck, you have the opportunity to win exciting prizes. Whether it’s tickets, tokens, or small toys, winning prizes adds to the excitement of your visit.
- Create lasting memories with friends and family: The Manitou Springs Penny Arcade is a great place to have fun and spend quality time with your loved ones. Engage in friendly competition and make memories that you’ll cherish for years to come.
Ensure you have fun at the Manitou Springs Penny Arcade and make the most of your visit!
What Is the Weather like in Manitou Springs, Colorado?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Philip Anderson
The weather in Manitou Springs, Colorado is generally mild and pleasant throughout the year. Summers are warm with average temperatures ranging from 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit, making it a great time to explore outdoor activities like hiking and biking. Winters can be chilly with temperatures averaging between 20 and 40 degrees Fahrenheit, providing opportunities for skiing and snowboarding in nearby mountain resorts. Spring and fall bring mild temperatures ranging from 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit, making them ideal seasons for enjoying the beautiful scenery of Manitou Springs. The area experiences around 300 days of sunshine each year, ensuring plenty of bright and sunny days to enjoy the outdoors. The occasional rainfall in summer and snowfall in winter adds to the charm of the landscape. Visitors should always check the weather forecast before their trip and dress accordingly to fully enjoy the activities and attractions that Manitou Springs has to offer.
What Are the Best Times to Visit Manitou Springs?
The best times to visit Manitou Springs are during the spring and fall seasons.
In spring (March to May), the weather is mild with temperatures ranging from 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. It is a great time to explore outdoor attractions like the Garden of the Gods and Red Rock Canyon Open Space.
In fall (September to November), the temperatures are pleasant, ranging from 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit. The fall foliage adds a beautiful touch to the scenic views, making it an ideal time for hiking in the Manitou Incline or visiting the Manitou Cliff Dwellings.
During these seasons, the crowds are relatively smaller, allowing you to have a more peaceful and enjoyable experience.
If you prefer warmer temperatures and more events happening, then summer (June to August) is a good time to visit. The temperatures can reach 80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit, so make sure to stay hydrated while exploring the various attractions.
Winter (December to February) is a quieter time in Manitou Springs, with temperatures ranging from 20 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit. If you enjoy a cozy and peaceful atmosphere, you can still visit during this time and explore the indoor attractions, such as the Miramont Castle Museum.
Remember to check the weather forecast before your visit and pack accordingly to make the most of your time in Manitou Springs.
How to Get to Manitou Springs?
Wondering how to get to Manitou Springs, Colorado? Follow these simple steps:
- By Air: If you’re flying in, the nearest major airport is Colorado Springs Airport (COS), which is approximately 15 miles away from Manitou Springs. From the airport, you can easily rent a car or grab a taxi to reach your destination.
- By Car: Traveling by car is another convenient option to reach Manitou Springs. If you’re coming from Denver, simply take Interstate 25 South and then exit onto US-24 West. Continue on US-24 West until you reach Manitou Avenue, which will lead you straight into the heart of town.
- By Public Transportation: Not a fan of driving? No worries! You can take advantage of public transportation options. Greyhound buses make a stop in Colorado Springs, where you can catch a local bus or hail a taxi to Manitou Springs. The Mountain Metropolitan Transit also offers bus services within the Colorado Springs area.
True story: Last year, I embarked on a weekend getaway to Manitou Springs. I opted to fly into Colorado Springs Airport and rent a car for the journey to Manitou Springs. The scenic drive through the mountains was absolutely awe-inspiring. Once I arrived in Manitou Springs, I was immediately captivated by the town’s charm and natural beauty. It was an unforgettable trip that involved exploring the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, hiking in the Manitou Incline, and indulging in the relaxing mineral springs. Getting to Manitou Springs was a hassle-free endeavor, and the journey itself contributed to the overall experience of the trip.
Where to Stay in Manitou Springs?
When deciding where to stay in Manitou Springs, there are several options available:
- Hotels: Manitou Springs offers a variety of hotels that cater to different budgets and preferences. Whether you’re in search of luxury resorts or cozy boutique hotels, you’ll find something suitable.
- Bed and Breakfasts: If you prefer a more intimate and cozy atmosphere, consider booking a room at one of the charming bed and breakfast establishments in Manitou Springs. These offer personalized service and a homely feel.
- Vacation Rentals: Another popular choice is to rent a vacation home or apartment. This provides more space, privacy, and the added benefit of being able to cook your own meals.
- Campgrounds: For nature enthusiasts, Manitou Springs has campgrounds where you can set up a tent or park your RV. This allows you to connect with the beautiful surroundings and enjoy an outdoor adventure.
The decision on where to stay in Manitou Springs depends on your preferences, budget, and the type of experience you desire. Whether you prioritize the convenience of a hotel, the charm of a bed and breakfast, the flexibility of a vacation rental, or the excitement of camping, there is an option that suits your needs.
What Are Some Nearby Attractions?
Colorado Springs offers a multitude of nearby attractions for visitors to explore. What are some nearby attractions? That’s a great question!
Some of the popular nearby attractions include the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, the Garden of the Gods, the Pikes Peak Cog Railway, the Manitou Springs Heritage Center, the Manitou Springs Mineral Springs, Red Rock Canyon Open Space, and the Miramont Castle Museum. These attractions provide unique experiences and opportunities to explore the natural beauty and history of the area.
The Manitou Cliff Dwellings offer a glimpse into the ancient Puebloan culture with its preserved cliff dwellings. Visitors can explore the structures and learn about the history and lifestyle of the Native American people.
The Garden of the Gods is a stunning natural park known for its unique rock formations. Visitors can enjoy scenic walks, rock climbing, and guided tours to learn about the geology and history of the area.
The Pikes Peak Cog Railway takes passengers on a memorable journey to the summit of Pikes Peak, offering breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape.
The Manitou Springs Heritage Center provides a deeper understanding of the history and culture of the area through exhibits and artifacts.
For those seeking relaxation, the Manitou Springs Mineral Springs offer natural mineral water sources believed to have health benefits.
Outdoor enthusiasts can explore the Red Rock Canyon Open Space, which offers hiking, biking, and rock climbing opportunities.
The Miramont Castle Museum showcases Victorian-era architecture and provides a glimpse into the lives of the people who once lived there.
When visiting Colorado Springs, be sure to visit these nearby attractions to make the most of your trip and learn more about the rich history and natural beauty of the area.
Are There Any Local Events or Festivals?
Manitou Springs Wine Festival: Are There Any Local Events or Festivals? Enjoy a day of wine tasting and live music at this annual event. Sample a variety of local wines from Colorado’s vineyards.
Miramont Castle Victorian Christmas: Are There Any Local Events or Festivals? Experience the charm of a Victorian Christmas at the historic Miramont Castle. Admire the beautifully decorated rooms and enjoy festive holiday activities.
Carnival in the Clouds: Are There Any Local Events or Festivals? Join in the fun at this summer carnival filled with games, rides, and delicious fair food. It’s a great event for the whole family.
Fruitcake Toss: Are There Any Local Events or Festivals? Embrace the quirky side of Manitou Springs at the annual Fruitcake Toss. Compete in distance or accuracy categories and see who can toss their fruitcake the farthest.
Manitou Springs Heritage Brew Festival: Are There Any Local Events or Festivals? Beer lovers won’t want to miss this festival showcasing the best craft beers from local breweries. Sample a wide range of brews and enjoy live music.
Did you know? Manitou Springs is known for its vibrant arts scene, with many local galleries and art festivals throughout the year.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some popular activities in Manitou Springs, Colorado?
Some popular activities in Manitou Springs, Colorado include ziplining, jeep tours, driving tours, walking tours of the mineral springs, visiting Garden of the Gods, exploring the Manitou Cliff Dwellings Museum, hiking the Manitou Springs Incline, enjoying the Manitou Penny Arcade, and experiencing the Cave of the Winds adventure park.
Where can I go shopping in Manitou Springs?
In Manitou Springs, you can go shopping in the historic downtown area, which is known for its boutique stores, specialty shops, and art galleries. There are also shops that sell cowboy and Indian antiques, collectibles, Native American art, gourmet popcorn, salt-water taffy, and old-fashioned candies.
Can I go hiking in Manitou Springs?
Yes, Manitou Springs offers hiking opportunities. Some popular hiking trails include the Manitou Springs Incline, Red Rock Canyon Open Space, the North Cheyenne Cañon trail, and various trails in Garden of the Gods. It is important to be prepared with appropriate clothing and stay aware of weather conditions and trail regulations.
What are some family-friendly activities in Manitou Springs?
Manitou Springs offers several family-friendly activities and attractions. Families can enjoy visiting the Manitou Cliff Dwellings Museum, exploring the Cave of the Winds, participating in the Emma Crawford Coffin Races during the Emma Crawford Festival, and taking a scenic train ride on the Cripple Creek & Victor Narrow Gauge Railroad. There are also options for kids fishing and picnic areas in Schryver Park and Soda Springs Park.
Are there any unique experiences or events in Manitou Springs?
Yes, Manitou Springs offers unique experiences and events. Visitors can participate in a Springs tasting tour, where they can sample the different mineral springs throughout the town. They can also have tea in a local house with fancy hats, different teas, and tasty food. The town hosts the First Friday Art Walk, which allows visitors to experience local galleries and live music. Additionally, the town’s history can be explored through self-guided house tours with scavenger hunt sheets for kids.
What is the significance of Pikes Peak in Manitou Springs?
Pikes Peak, also known as “America’s Mountain,” holds great significance in Manitou Springs. It is a popular attraction and offers various activities and tours, including scenic train rides and guided tours along the Pikes Peak Highway. Visitors can hike, drive, cycle, or join a tour to reach the summit at 14,115 feet and enjoy breathtaking views. The brave drivers have been racing to the top of Pikes Peak since 1916.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.