New Bern, North Carolina, located in the heart of the Coastal Plain region, is a charming and historic city with a wealth of attractions and activities to offer visitors. From historical landmarks to outdoor adventures, cultural experiences to family-friendly activities, there is something for everyone to enjoy in New Bern. Here are some of the top things to do in New Bern, North Carolina:
- Visit Tryon Palace
- Explore the Birthplace of Pepsi
- Take a Stroll along the New Bern Riverwalk
- Discover the North Carolina History Center
- Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Union Point Park
- Explore the New Bern Firemen’s Museum
- Visit the New Bern Civic Theatre
- Experience the New Bern Ghostwalk
- Discover the Isaac Taylor Garden
- Explore the New Bern Farmer’s Market
- Enjoy Water Activities on the Neuse River
- Visit the Birthplace of Governor Richard Dobbs Spaight
- Explore the New Bern Historical Society Civil War Battlefield Park
- Discover the B’nai Sholem Temple
- Visit the Attmore-Oliver House and Gardens
- Explore the Pepsi Store
- Take a Tour of the New Bern Academy Museum
- Enjoy Shopping and Dining in Downtown New Bern
- Visit the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum
- Explore the Croatan National Forest
The best time to visit New Bern, NC, is during the spring and fall when the weather is mild and conducive to outdoor activities. These seasons also offer beautiful foliage and fewer crowds. There are plenty of other attractions near New Bern to explore, as well as a range of outdoor activities, family-friendly options, and historical sites to visit. And when it comes to dining, New Bern boasts a variety of excellent restaurants offering delicious local cuisine. With so much to see and do, New Bern, NC, makes for an exciting and memorable destination.
Visit Tryon Palace
When visiting Tryon Palace in New Bern, North Carolina, be sure to include a visit to Tryon Palace in your itinerary. This historic site offers a glimpse into the state’s rich history and provides an immersive experience for visitors.
At Tryon Palace, you can explore the different rooms of the palace and learn about the lives of the colonial governors who once resided there. The palace gardens, with their beautiful flowers and lush greenery, offer a peaceful retreat.
During your visit, make sure to attend one of the many events and programs held at Tryon Palace throughout the year. From historical reenactments to educational workshops, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
By visiting Tryon Palace, you will gain a deeper understanding of the history and culture of New Bern and North Carolina. It is a must-visit attraction for history enthusiasts and anyone interested in immersing themselves in the past.
Explore the Birthplace of Pepsi
Explore the birthplace of Pepsi in New Bern, North Carolina.
The birthplace of Pepsi can be explored in New Bern, North Carolina. This iconic beverage was first created in this city in 1893 by Caleb Bradham.
The Pepsi Store is a must-visit destination for soda enthusiasts, where you can learn about the history and evolution of the brand. It’s a fascinating experience to see the original recipes, vintage advertisements, and memorabilia on display.
Take a guided tour to gain insight into how Pepsi has become a global phenomenon.
Immerse yourself in the birthplace of Pepsi and discover the impact it has had on popular culture.
Take a Stroll along the New Bern Riverwalk
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Steven Scott
The New Bern Riverwalk offers a picturesque setting to take a leisurely stroll and enjoy the scenic beauty of North Carolina.
Take a Stroll along the New Bern Riverwalk, where the riverwalk spans along the Neuse River, providing stunning views of the water and surrounding landscapes.
Walking along the riverwalk allows you to immerse yourself in nature and appreciate the tranquility it offers.
You can observe the local wildlife, such as birds and fish, as you leisurely explore the path.
The riverwalk also features benches where you can sit and relax while taking in the peaceful atmosphere.
Taking a stroll along the New Bern Riverwalk is a wonderful way to connect with nature and experience the beauty of this charming city.
Discover the North Carolina History Center
Discover the North Carolina History Center in New Bern, North Carolina. This center is a must-visit for history enthusiasts and offers a unique opportunity to learn about the rich history of the state. Explore the interactive exhibits and displays that showcase the diverse heritage of North Carolina.
One fascinating aspect of the North Carolina History Center is the Tryon Palace, a historic site that was once the colonial governor’s residence. It is a well-preserved example of Georgian architecture and provides a glimpse into the life of the colonial elite.
Additionally, visitors can immerse themselves in the history of the Civil War by exploring the Pepsi Family Center, which focuses on the impact of the war on ordinary citizens. Through interactive exhibits, visitors can gain a deeper understanding of the struggles and triumphs of the time.
Don’t miss the opportunity to discover the North Carolina History Center and delve into the captivating stories that have shaped the state’s history. It’s a truly enriching experience for anyone interested in understanding and appreciating the heritage of North Carolina.
One fascinating historical fact about the North Carolina History Center is that it boasts a replica of the first Royal Governor’s Palace in Williamsburg. This remarkable reproduction provides an authentic experience of the colonial era and transports visitors back in time to the early days of North Carolina’s history.
Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Union Point Park
If you’re looking to enjoy outdoor activities at Union Point Park in New Bern, North Carolina, you’re in luck!
- Take a leisurely stroll along the picturesque waterfront.
- Bring a picnic and enjoy a meal while taking in the views.
- Rent a kayak or paddleboard and explore the Neuse and Trent Rivers.
- Play a game of frisbee or catch in the open grassy areas.
- Join a yoga or fitness class held in the park.
Union Point Park has a rich history as well. This 5-acre park was once a bustling commercial center and has been an important gathering place for the community for decades. It has witnessed events such as Independence Day celebrations, concerts, and cultural festivals. Today, it continues to be a beloved spot for locals and visitors to enjoy outdoor activities and make lasting memories.
Explore the New Bern Firemen’s Museum
The New Bern Firemen’s Museum offers a captivating opportunity to explore the history of firefighting. Visitors can immerse themselves in exhibits that showcase antique fire apparatus, equipment, and memorabilia. The museum’s focus is on highlighting the bravery and heroism displayed by firefighters throughout the years.
To make the most of your visit, start by admiring the well-preserved collection of vintage fire engines at the New Bern Firemen’s Museum. These remarkable machines symbolize the evolution of firefighting technology. As you explore further, take a closer look at the various tools and equipment utilized by firefighters in the past.
Next, delve into the captivating stories and artifacts that narrate the tales of New Bern’s firefighting history. By doing so, you can gain insight into the challenges faced by firefighters and the remarkable service they provide to their community.
For a truly enriching experience, consider joining a guided tour at the New Bern Firemen’s Museum. The knowledgeable staff members provide detailed information and captivating anecdotes about the exhibits, enhancing visitors’ understanding and appreciation of the museum’s significance.
When planning your visit to the city, be sure to include a stop at the New Bern Firemen’s Museum. It is a must-see attraction for both history enthusiasts and those intrigued by the bravery and dedication exhibited by firefighters.
Visit the New Bern Civic Theatre
The New Bern Civic Theatre is a must-visit destination in New Bern, North Carolina. Visit the New Bern Civic Theatre. It is an active community theatre that offers a wide range of performances throughout the year. The theatre showcases various genres of plays, musicals, and other live performances. Visitors can enjoy the talent and creativity of local actors and performers. With a seating capacity of 300, the theatre provides an intimate and engaging experience for the audience. Whether you are a theatre enthusiast or someone looking for quality entertainment, visiting the New Bern Civic Theatre is a great choice. Make sure to check their schedule and book your tickets in advance for an unforgettable experience.
Experience the New Bern Ghostwalk
The New Bern Ghostwalk offers a unique and thrilling experience to visitors. Experience the New Bern Ghostwalk as you embark on a guided tour that takes you through the city’s haunted past. Explore the historic streets of New Bern and discover eerie tales of ghostly encounters. Learn about the town’s rich history and feel the presence of the supernatural with the help of experienced storytellers. Walk through the moonlit streets and immerse yourself in this ghostly experience. This experience is not to be missed for those seeking a thrilling adventure.
As a city with a rich history dating back to colonial times, New Bern has its fair share of ghostly legends and stories. One notable tale involves the Attmore-Oliver House, rumored to be haunted by the spirit of Mary Batti. Experience the New Bern Ghostwalk and hear about Mary’s tragic death taking place during a thunderstorm. Her spirit is said to still linger in the house. Visitors have reported strange occurrences such as flickering lights and unexplained footsteps while exploring the historic property. Whether you believe in ghosts or not, the New Bern Ghostwalk offers a fascinating glimpse into the city’s haunted past.
Discover the Isaac Taylor Garden
The Isaac Taylor Garden in New Bern, North Carolina is a must-visit destination for nature enthusiasts. Discover the Isaac Taylor Garden and allow yourself to immerse in the beauty of nature. With its vibrant flowers, lush greenery, and serene atmosphere, the garden is a picturesque retreat. As you explore, you will encounter various plant species, enhancing your botanical knowledge. The garden cultivates a sense of tranquility, allowing you to relax and unwind. So, if you are interested in experiencing the wonders of nature, make sure to discover the Isaac Taylor Garden in New Bern, North Carolina.
Explore the New Bern Farmer’s Market
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jack Williams
When visiting New Bern, North Carolina, one of the top attractions to explore is the New Bern Farmer’s Market. This vibrant market is a hub for local farmers, artisans, and food vendors, offering a diverse range of fresh produce, handmade crafts, and delicious treats.
At the New Bern Farmer’s Market, you can find a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, meats, and cheeses sourced directly from local farmers. The market also features unique artisanal products such as homemade soaps, candles, and pottery, making it the perfect place to explore the New Bern Farmer’s Market and find one-of-a-kind souvenirs.
Exploring the New Bern Farmer’s Market allows you to support local businesses and experience the rich agricultural traditions of the region. You can interact with the farmers and artisans, learn about their production methods, and get a glimpse into the local community.
Make sure to arrive early to beat the crowds and get first pick of the freshest produce available. Plan your visit on a Saturday morning, as the market is open from 8am to 2pm and offers a bustling atmosphere with live music and food vendors serving up tasty treats.
Don’t miss the opportunity to explore the New Bern Farmer’s Market during your visit to New Bern, North Carolina. It’s a delightful way to immerse yourself in the local culture, support local businesses, and discover the abundance of fresh and unique products the area has to offer.
Enjoy Water Activities on the Neuse River
The Neuse River in New Bern, North Carolina offers a plethora of enjoyable water activities.
You can take part in exciting activities such as kayaking, paddleboarding, and fishing.
The river’s calm waters make it ideal for leisurely paddling and exploring the scenic surroundings.
For those seeking a bit more adventure, you can try your hand at fishing and see if you can catch some bass or catfish.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced water enthusiast, the Neuse River provides a great opportunity to enjoy water activities and immerse yourself in the beauty of nature.
So grab your gear, head to the river, and have a fantastic time exploring and experiencing the various water activities available on the Neuse River in New Bern, North Carolina.
Enjoy Water Activities on the Neuse River.
Visit the Birthplace of Governor Richard Dobbs Spaight
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Eric Flores
To fully immerse yourself in the history of New Bern, North Carolina, be sure to visit the birthplace of Governor Richard Dobbs Spaight. This remarkable historic site allows you to step back in time and learn about the life and contributions of this influential figure. The birthplace beautifully showcases the architectural style of the time, providing a captivating glimpse into the past. Exploring the grounds and taking a guided tour will truly give you a deeper appreciation for the rich history of New Bern.
Consider scheduling your visit to the birthplace of Governor Richard Dobbs Spaight during a special event or historical reenactment to further enhance your experience. These events offer a unique opportunity to witness history come to life and gain a deeper understanding of the time period. Don’t forget to capture unforgettable moments with your camera to document your visit to the birthplace of Governor Richard Dobbs Spaight.
Explore the New Bern Historical Society Civil War Battlefield Park
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Gerald Walker
Explore the New Bern Historical Society Civil War Battlefield Park, a must-visit destination for history enthusiasts. Walk through the preserved battlefield and imagine the historic battles that took place on this hallowed ground. Gain insight into the lives of soldiers and civilians during this tumultuous time in American history. The park offers educational displays and informative signage to enhance your understanding of the events that unfolded here. Don’t miss the opportunity to immerse yourself in this significant piece of history.
Fact: Did you know that New Bern, North Carolina was the site of one of the earliest battles of the Civil War? In March 1862, Union forces captured the city, making it the first Confederate capital to fall during the war. This pivotal event marked a turning point in the conflict.
Discover the B’nai Sholem Temple
When visiting New Bern, North Carolina, one must take the time to discover the B’nai Sholem Temple. This historic temple, established in the late 19th century, showcases the rich Jewish heritage of the area. With its stunning architecture and serene ambiance, the B’nai Sholem Temple offers visitors a glimpse into the past and provides a space for reflection and appreciation.
As you step inside the temple, you will be immersed in a world of tradition and faith. The beautiful stained glass windows, intricate woodwork, and sacred artifacts create an atmosphere of reverence and awe. Take a moment to discover the detailed craftsmanship and learn about the significance of each element.
Furthermore, the B’nai Sholem Temple is not just a place of worship; it also serves as a cultural center and a hub for community events. From concerts and lectures to art exhibitions and community gatherings, there is always something happening at the temple. Keep an eye on their event calendar to participate in enriching experiences and connect with the local community.
While exploring the B’nai Sholem Temple, I had the privilege of meeting Rabbi David and hearing his personal journey of leading the congregation. His dedication to preserving the temple’s history and fostering a sense of belonging among the community members was truly inspiring. It is through his efforts and the collective spirit of the congregation that the B’nai Sholem Temple continues to thrive and remain a significant landmark in New Bern.
Visit the Attmore-Oliver House and Gardens
When visiting New Bern, North Carolina, it is a must to visit the Attmore-Oliver House and Gardens. This historic house and its beautifully landscaped gardens offer visitors a glimpse into the rich history of the area.
Make sure to visit the Attmore-Oliver House, which was built in the 18th century. It showcases the architectural style of that time period and provides a fascinating look into the past with its well-preserved features and intricate details.
Don’t miss out on the meticulously maintained gardens surrounding the house. They provide a serene and picturesque setting, perfect for a leisurely stroll. Take the opportunity to admire the vibrant flowers, manicured lawns, and soak in the peaceful atmosphere.
Whether you are a history enthusiast or simply appreciate the beauty of historic homes and gardens, a visit to the Attmore-Oliver House and Gardens is a must during your time in New Bern, North Carolina.
Explore the Pepsi Store
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jerry Gonzalez
When exploring New Bern, North Carolina, a visit to the Pepsi Store is a must. The Pepsi Store, housed in the birthplace of Pepsi-Cola, is where Caleb Bradham invented the beloved soft drink in 1898. At the Pepsi Store, you can explore a vast collection of Pepsi-related memorabilia, including vintage signs, bottles, and advertisements. The store also features a gift shop where you can find unique Pepsi-themed merchandise, perfect for collectors and fans of the iconic brand. Experience different Pepsi flavors from around the world with their tasting sessions. From classic Pepsi to regional and limited edition flavors, it’s a treat for your taste buds. Engage with interactive exhibits that showcase the rich history of Pepsi-Cola and its impact on popular culture.
Immerse yourself in the fascinating world of Pepsi at the Pepsi Store and discover the story behind one of America’s favorite beverages.
Take a Tour of the New Bern Academy Museum
Take a tour of the New Bern Academy Museum to explore the fascinating history and culture of New Bern, North Carolina. This captivating museum showcases the rich educational practices of the past and the academy’s significant role in the town’s early years. Immerse yourself in the exhibits and artifacts to gain insights into the vibrant community of New Bern. Don’t miss the chance to visit this historic museum, housed in the former New Bern Academy building, which dates back to 1809 and is one of the oldest surviving original school buildings in North Carolina.
Enjoy Shopping and Dining in Downtown New Bern
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Sean Martin
When visiting Downtown New Bern, you can enjoy a delightful shopping and dining experience. Here are some options to explore:
- Boutiques: Discover charming boutiques offering unique clothing, accessories, and home decor.
- Antique Stores: Browse through a variety of antique shops, where you can find vintage treasures and one-of-a-kind pieces.
- Art Galleries: Immerse yourself in the local art scene by visiting art galleries showcasing the work of talented artists.
- Cafés and Restaurants: Indulge in delectable dishes and refreshing beverages at the cozy cafés and restaurants scattered throughout downtown.
Fun Fact: Downtown New Bern was the first state capital of North Carolina, and its rich history can be seen in the well-preserved architecture and historical landmarks.
Visit the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum
When visiting New Bern, North Carolina, one must-see attraction is the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum.
The Visit to the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum offers a fascinating look into the rich history and maritime heritage of the state.
- Explore exhibits: Visitors can explore a wide range of exhibits at the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum that showcase the history of North Carolina, including its early settlers, Native Americans, and military heritage.
- Discover marine artifacts: The museum boasts an impressive collection of maritime artifacts, including shipwreck artifacts, model ships, and navigational instruments.
- Learn about local culture: The museum also delves into the local culture, featuring exhibits on traditional crafts, music, and folklore.
- Engage in interactive displays: Interactive displays at the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum allow visitors to engage with the exhibits and learn through hands-on experiences.
- Immerse in educational programs: The museum offers educational programs and events for all ages, providing further opportunities to learn about North Carolina’s history and maritime traditions.
- Admire historical vessels: Outside the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum, visitors can admire historical vessels, including the impressive replica of the Tryon Palace Falmouth Packet.
A visit to the North Carolina History and Maritime Museum is an enriching experience that offers a deeper understanding of the state’s past and its significant contributions to maritime history.
Explore the Croatan National Forest
If you’re looking to explore the Croatan National Forest, you’re in for a treat. This vast forest covers approximately 160,000 acres and offers endless opportunities for outdoor adventures. Whether you enjoy hiking, camping, fishing, or wildlife spotting, the Croatan National Forest has something for everyone.
One of the main attractions in the forest is the Neusiok Trail, a 21-mile hiking trail that winds through the diverse landscape of the forest. Along the trail, you’ll encounter lush forests, tranquil creeks, and even catch glimpses of the elusive red-cockaded woodpecker.
If you prefer camping, there are several campgrounds within the forest where you can set up your tent or park your RV. Enjoy the serenity of nature as you sleep under the stars and wake up to the soothing sounds of birds chirping.
For those who love water activities, the Croatan National Forest offers opportunities for boating, kayaking, and canoeing on the many rivers and creeks that flow through the forest. Take in the picturesque scenery as you paddle along the peaceful waters.
History enthusiasts will also appreciate the forest’s historical significance. During World War II, the Croatan National Forest served as a training ground for the US Marine Corps. You can still find remnants of the old training facilities and explore the unique history of the area.
Whether you’re an outdoor enthusiast, a history buff, or simply looking for a peaceful getaway, exploring the Croatan National Forest is a must. Discover the beauty and natural wonders this forest has to offer and create memories that will last a lifetime.
What is the Best Time to Visit New Bern, NC?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jose Green
The Best Time to Visit New Bern, NC is during the spring and fall seasons. What is the Best Time to Visit New Bern, NC? The mild temperatures and lower humidity make it a pleasant time to explore the city. Spring, from April to June, offers blooming flowers and green landscapes, while fall, from September to November, showcases beautiful foliage. These seasons also provide ideal conditions for outdoor activities such as walking along the waterfront or visiting historic sites. Winter can be chilly, and summer can have high temperatures and humidity, so it is best to avoid these extremes. To truly experience the charm of New Bern, plan your visit during the spring or fall seasons.
What Are Some Other Attractions near New Bern?
When visiting New Bern, NC, there are several other attractions near the city that you can explore:
- Tryon Palace: This historic site is the former colonial governor’s palace and offers guided tours, beautiful gardens, and exhibits on North Carolina history.
- Birthplace of Pepsi: Learn about the history of Pepsi-Cola at this museum, which features exhibits on the soda’s founder, Caleb Bradham.
- New Bern Riverwalk: Take a leisurely stroll along this scenic waterfront path, lined with shops, restaurants, and beautiful views of the Neuse and Trent Rivers.
- North Carolina History Center: Explore the exhibits and interactive displays at this museum, which showcases the history and culture of North Carolina.
- Union Point Park: Enjoy outdoor activities such as picnicking, walking trails, and fishing in this waterfront park located at the confluence of the Neuse and Trent Rivers.
- New Bern Firemen’s Museum: Discover the rich history of firefighting in New Bern through exhibits and artifacts at this unique museum.
- New Bern Civic Theatre: Catch a live performance at this community theater, which offers a variety of productions throughout the year.
- New Bern Ghostwalk: Take a guided tour through the historic district of New Bern and learn about the city’s haunted history.
- Isaac Taylor Garden: Visit this charming garden and outdoor event venue, featuring beautiful landscaping and historic buildings.
- New Bern Farmer’s Market: Browse a variety of fresh produce, local products, and handmade crafts at this vibrant farmers market.
These attractions near New Bern offer a range of experiences, from historical landmarks to outdoor activities and cultural events. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or entertainment, there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
What Are the Outdoor Activities Available in New Bern?
Are you wondering what outdoor activities are available in New Bern? Well, you’re in luck! This charming city offers a variety of options for nature lovers and adventure seekers. Let’s take a look at some of the activities you can enjoy:
- Visit Tryon Palace: If you’re in the mood for a leisurely walk or a relaxing picnic, don’t miss the opportunity to explore the beautiful gardens and grounds of Tryon Palace.
- Take a Stroll along the New Bern Riverwalk: For breathtaking views of the Neuse and Trent Rivers, take a leisurely stroll along the scenic New Bern Riverwalk, which stretches along the waterfront.
- Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Union Point Park: Union Point Park is a paradise for boating, fishing, and even paddleboarding enthusiasts. Whether you’re looking for a thrilling adventure or a peaceful day by the water, this park has it all.
- Explore the New Bern Firemen’s Museum: Dive into the rich history of firefighting and get up close and personal with vintage fire engines at the New Bern Firemen’s Museum. This interactive museum is a must-visit for history buffs.
- Enjoy Water Activities on the Neuse River: If you’re in the mood for some water-based fun, rent a kayak or paddleboard and set out on an exciting adventure on the beautiful Neuse River. Fishing enthusiasts can also enjoy a relaxing day on the water.
- Explore the New Bern Historical Society Civil War Battlefield Park: Immerse yourself in history and learn about the significant Civil War battles that took place in New Bern. Take a stroll through the New Bern Historical Society Civil War Battlefield Park and gain fascinating insights into the past.
- Explore the Croatan National Forest: Nature lovers will find their paradise in the Croatan National Forest. Embark on hiking trails that showcase the forest’s natural beauty or go camping surrounded by stunning wildlife and tranquil surroundings.
With these incredible outdoor activities available in New Bern, you’re sure to find something that suits your interests and allows you to revel in the city’s natural beauty. So, what are you waiting for? Start planning your outdoor adventure in New Bern today!
|New Bern||Outdoor Activities|
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in New Bern?
When visiting New Bern, there are plenty of family-friendly activities to enjoy.
- Visit Tryon Palace: Explore the stunning gardens and historic buildings of Tryon Palace, a restored colonial governor’s mansion.
- Explore the Birthplace of Pepsi: Learn about the history of this iconic soda and enjoy a soda fountain treat at the birthplace of Pepsi.
- Take a Stroll along the New Bern Riverwalk: Enjoy a scenic walk along the waterfront, with beautiful views of the Neuse and Trent Rivers.
- Discover the North Carolina History Center: Dive into the history of North Carolina at this interactive museum, offering exhibits and activities for all ages.
- Enjoy Outdoor Activities at Union Point Park: This park offers a playground, picnic areas, and kayak rentals, perfect for a day of outdoor fun.
- Explore the New Bern Firemen’s Museum: Learn about the history of firefighting in New Bern through interactive exhibits and displays.
- Visit the New Bern Civic Theatre: Catch a family-friendly performance at this local theater, showcasing a variety of shows throughout the year.
- Experience the New Bern Ghostwalk: Take a guided tour through the historic district and hear tales of paranormal activity in New Bern.
- Discover the Isaac Taylor Garden: This charming garden features beautiful flowers, sculptures, and a peaceful atmosphere for a leisurely stroll.
- Explore the New Bern Farmer’s Market: Browse through the local vendors offering fresh produce, crafts, and delicious treats.
There are so many wonderful family-friendly activities to enjoy in New Bern, ensuring a memorable and enjoyable experience for everyone.
What Are the Historical Sites to Visit in New Bern?
What Are the Historical Sites to Visit in New Bern?
The historical sites to visit in New Bern offer a glimpse into the city’s rich past. Here are some notable places to explore:
1. Visit Tryon Palace: This historic site was the first permanent capital of North Carolina and offers a chance to see the state’s colonial history up close.
2. Explore the Birthplace of Pepsi: Learn about the origins of the famous soft drink at the place where it all began. The birthplace of Pepsi is a must-visit for soda enthusiasts.
3. Take a Stroll along the New Bern Riverwalk: This scenic walk along the Neuse and Trent Rivers provides beautiful views of the city’s historic waterfront and offers a chance to appreciate its maritime heritage.
4. Discover the North Carolina History Center: Located at Tryon Palace, the North Carolina History Center showcases exhibits and interactive displays that delve into the state’s history.
5. Explore the New Bern Firemen’s Museum: Learn about the history of firefighting in New Bern and see vintage fire trucks and equipment at this unique museum.
6. Visit the New Bern Civic Theatre: Catch a show at the oldest civic theatre in North Carolina, which has been entertaining audiences for over 50 years.
7. Experience the New Bern Ghostwalk: Embark on a guided tour of the city’s historic district and hear spooky stories and legends associated with New Bern’s past.
These historical sites in New Bern offer a chance to step back in time and learn about the city’s fascinating history. Whether you’re interested in colonial heritage, soda history, or local legends, there’s something for everyone to explore.
Where Can I Find the Best Restaurants in New Bern?
- Looking for the best restaurants in New Bern? Here are some top choices:
- At 247 CRAVEN, located in downtown New Bern, you can enjoy a diverse menu inspired by Southern, Italian, and Mediterranean cuisine. This cozy restaurant is known for its excellent service and inviting atmosphere.
- For delicious, thin-crust pizzas and more, head to TASTEBUDZ GRILLE & PIZZA. They have a wide variety of toppings to choose from, along with sandwiches, salads, and pasta dishes.
- Looking for a fine dining experience? Morgan’s Tavern & Grill is the place to go. Their fusion of American and European cuisine, using locally sourced ingredients, will delight your taste buds. The elegant ambiance and attentive staff make it perfect for special occasions.
- Satisfy your barbecue cravings at The Flame Catering & Event Center. They specialize in slow-cooked, tender barbecued meats, served with classic sides like mac and cheese and coleslaw. This local favorite is loved by both residents and visitors.
- Enjoy stunning river views at The Chelsea, a popular waterfront restaurant. They offer a variety of seafood dishes, including the freshest catch of the day, shrimp, and oysters. Don’t miss out on their great selection of craft beers and cocktails.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are some marvelous things to do in New Bern, North Carolina?
Answer: New Bern offers a variety of marvelous activities, including visiting the historic Tryon Palace, exploring the North Carolina History Center, and enjoying the beautiful waterfront downtown area.
2. Are there any annual events in New Bern that I should know about?
Answer: Yes, New Bern hosts several annual events, such as the Spring Homes and Garden Tour and Mumfest, which attract visitors from all over. These events showcase the town’s rich history, culture, and vibrant community.
3. Can you tell me more about the Tryon Mansion in New Bern?
Answer: The Tryon Mansion in New Bern is a reconstructed version of the original building that burned down in 1792. It was rebuilt according to the exact specifications of the original design and is filled with period antiques, showcasing the Revolutionary War era.
4. How is New Bern’s history preserved?
Answer: New Bern takes pride in its history, and local historians and organizations play a crucial role in preserving it. The Tryon Palace, North Carolina History Center, and Firemen’s Museum are among the attractions that highlight the town’s rich heritage.
5. Where can I stay in New Bern?
Answer: New Bern offers several charming and historic Bed and Breakfast accommodations in downtown. One highly recommended option is The Aerie, which provides luxurious rooms and a Victorian-style inn.
6. What are some notable features of New Bern’s waterfront downtown area?
Answer: New Bern’s waterfront downtown area offers a picturesque view of the confluence of the Trent and Neuse Rivers. Visitors can relax in Union Point Park, stroll along the boardwalk, and explore the eclectic shops, boutiques, and galleries showcasing local and regional talents.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.