Omaha, Nebraska, offers a wide range of exciting activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy, making it an ideal destination for a weekend getaway. Whether you’re a nature lover, history enthusiast, art connoisseur, or foodie, Omaha has something to offer everyone. Here are some top suggestions for things to do in Omaha this weekend:
1. Visit Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Explore one of the best zoos in the world, known for its diverse exhibits and immersive experiences.
2. Explore Old Market District: Wander through this historic district filled with charming shops, restaurants, and art galleries.
3. Take a Stroll at Lauritzen Gardens: Discover the beauty of botanical gardens featuring a variety of plants and stunning landscapes.
4. Visit Joslyn Art Museum: Immerse yourself in art and culture at this renowned museum showcasing a diverse collection of artworks.
5. Experience the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge: Walk or bike across this iconic bridge that spans the Missouri River, offering panoramic views of the city.
6. Attend Events at CHI Health Center Omaha: Catch a live concert, sporting event, or performance at this modern and state-of-the-art arena.
7. Enjoy Nature at Fontenelle Forest: Embark on a scenic hike through this expansive forest, home to diverse wildlife and breathtaking views.
8. Discover History at Durham Museum: Step back in time at this fascinating museum housed in a beautifully restored train station, showcasing the history of the region.
9. Watch a Game at TD Ameritrade Park: Experience the excitement of live sports by catching a baseball game at this state-of-the-art stadium.
10. Explore Omaha Children’s Museum: Engage your little ones with interactive exhibits and educational activities at this family-friendly museum.
In addition to these attractions, Omaha is also known for its vibrant food scene. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to indulge in delicious steaks, local delicacies, and brunch spots that the city has to offer. If you’re a fan of craft beer, be sure to check out the must-try breweries in the area. Families will find plenty of activities to keep everyone entertained.
With its blend of culture, history, nature, and culinary delights, Omaha promises an unforgettable weekend adventure for visitors of all ages and interests.
Visit Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
For an unforgettable adventure, make sure to visit the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium in Omaha, Nebraska. This must-visit destination offers a diverse and vast collection of animals and marine life that will captivate visitors of all ages.
- See incredible wildlife: The Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is home to over 17,000 animals from around the world, including lions, giraffes, elephants, penguins, sharks, and more.
- Explore innovative exhibits: Immerse yourself in the state-of-the-art exhibits at the zoo. From the Desert Dome, the world’s largest indoor desert, to the Lied Jungle, a lush tropical habitat, there is something for everyone.
- Get hands-on at the aquarium: At the adjacent aquarium, visitors can participate in interactive displays and educational programs. Don’t miss the opportunity to touch stingrays and sharks in the touch pool.
- Experience unique attractions: Make sure to ride the Skyfari, a chairlift that offers breathtaking views of the zoo. Additionally, catch a nature documentary on the giant screen at the IMAX theater.
- Support conservation efforts: By visiting the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, you contribute to important conservation and research initiatives.
Whether you are a nature enthusiast or simply looking for a fun and educational experience, a visit to the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is a must.
Explore Old Market District
When exploring the Old Market District in Omaha, Nebraska, there are several activities to enjoy:
- Explore Historical Landmarks: Immerse yourself in the rich history of the district by visiting the historic buildings that date back to the late 19th century and early 20th century.
- Discover Unique Boutiques: Support local artists and businesses while exploring the district by browsing the one-of-a-kind shops offering a variety of goods, including clothing, jewelry, home decor, and artwork.
- Dine at Local Restaurants: Indulge in a wide range of culinary delights, from traditional Midwest favorites to international cuisine, and savor the flavors of the region while exploring the Old Market District.
- Experience Vibrant Nightlife: After exploring the Old Market District, the area comes alive after dark with its bustling bars, clubs, and live music venues. Dance the night away or enjoy a casual evening with friends.
- Attend Art Galleries: Appreciate the talent and creativity of local artists by visiting various galleries showcasing their work. Explore the thriving art scene in the Old Market District.
Exploring the Old Market District offers a unique blend of history, culture, and entertainment. Take the time to immerse yourself in this vibrant and charming part of Omaha.
Take a Stroll at Lauritzen Gardens
Take a stroll at Lauritzen Gardens and immerse yourself in the beauty of nature.
- Enjoy picturesque landscapes and stunning floral displays at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Explore the various gardens, including the rose garden, herb garden, and woodland trail, during your stroll at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Experience the tranquility and peacefulness of the gardens while you take a stroll at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Marvel at the colorful blooms and fragrant flowers during your leisurely walk at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Take a leisurely walk along the pathways and admire the manicured gardens at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Learn about different plant species and their unique characteristics while you take a stroll at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Capture beautiful photos of the scenic surroundings when you visit Lauritzen Gardens.
- Attend educational workshops and presentations on gardening and horticulture at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Relax and unwind in the serene atmosphere while you take a stroll at Lauritzen Gardens.
- Appreciate the meticulous care and attention to detail that goes into maintaining the gardens at Lauritzen Gardens.
A visit to Lauritzen Gardens promises a delightful experience for nature enthusiasts and those seeking a peaceful retreat.
Visit Joslyn Art Museum
If you’re looking for something to do in Omaha, Nebraska this weekend, a visit to the Joslyn Art Museum is a must. This renowned museum showcases a diverse collection of art spanning many different periods and genres. You’ll have the opportunity to admire works by renowned artists such as Monet, Renoir, and Pollock. The museum also features a beautiful sculpture garden where you can enjoy the outdoor art and the peaceful surroundings. Whether you’re an art enthusiast or simply appreciate the beauty of creativity, a visit to the Joslyn Art Museum is a enriching experience. So, make sure to visit Joslyn Art Museum this weekend!
Fun Fact: Did you know that the Joslyn Art Museum was opened in 1931 and is now one of the premier art museums in the Midwest?
Experience the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge
To fully experience the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, consider the following:
- Experience the bridge by walking across and enjoying panoramic views of the Missouri River, downtown Omaha, and Council Bluffs.
- Take a bike ride across the bridge and explore the extensive trail system in Omaha.
- Visit during sunset and witness the stunning colors reflecting off the river to truly experience the beauty of the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge.
- Bring a picnic and enjoy a meal on the bridge while taking in the scenery to fully immerse yourself in the experience of this architectural marvel.
- Participate in a community event or festival that occasionally takes place on the bridge to further enhance your experience of the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge.
Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature and the architectural marvel that is the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. Explore the recreational opportunities it offers and create lasting memories surrounded by breathtaking views.
Attend Events at CHI Health Center Omaha
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jerry Johnson
Attend concerts: Make sure to attend the concerts regularly hosted at CHI Health Center Omaha, featuring popular artists from various genres. It’s a fantastic opportunity to enjoy live performances by your favorite musicians and bands.
Attend sports events: If you’re a sports fan, don’t miss out on the chance to attend thrilling games at CHI Health Center Omaha. Whether it’s basketball or hockey, there are numerous sporting events to choose from.
Attend family shows: Take your loved ones for a memorable day out at CHI Health Center Omaha. They host family-friendly shows and performances, including entertaining acts, magic shows, and more.
Attend conventions and exhibitions: CHI Health Center Omaha is renowned for hosting conventions and exhibitions. Whatever your interests, whether it’s art, technology, or any other field, you can find events that cater to your preferences.
Attend special events: Keep a lookout for unique experiences throughout the year at CHI Health Center Omaha. They host special events such as holiday shows, comedy nights, and cultural festivals.
In addition to the regular events at CHI Health Center Omaha, there are also numerous surrounding attractions to explore. Take a leisurely walk in the nearby Heartland of America Park, visit the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, or savor delicious food at the Old Market district. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to attend an event at CHI Health Center Omaha and make the most of your time in Omaha.
Enjoy Nature at Fontenelle Forest
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Tyler Mitchell
Fontenelle Forest is a magnificent natural area in Omaha, Nebraska where you can truly enjoy nature at its finest.
This splendid forest provides a wide range of activities for nature enthusiasts, allowing you to fully immerse yourself in its beauty.
Take the opportunity to explore the numerous hiking trails that wind through the lush greenery, offering breathtaking views of the forest.
Thrill your senses as you spot a diverse array of animals and birds that have made Fontenelle Forest their home.
The tranquil and serene atmosphere of Fontenelle Forest presents the perfect chance to relax and rejuvenate amidst the wonders of nature.
With offerings like bird watching, photography, and simply taking a stroll in the great outdoors, Fontenelle Forest caters to all your nature-loving desires.
Make sure to visit Fontenelle Forest in Omaha, Nebraska if you’re seeking to enjoy nature and indulge in the splendor of the outdoors.
Discover History at Durham Museum
Discover History at Durham Museum and immerse yourself in the rich heritage of Omaha, Nebraska. This historic museum is housed in a beautifully restored Art Deco building, which was originally the Union Station. Here, you can explore exhibits that showcase the city’s past, from its pioneer roots to its vibrant cultural heritage.
Step back in time as you wander through the museum’s galleries, which feature artifacts, photographs, and interactive displays that bring Omaha’s history to life. Learn about the city’s role as a transportation hub, its diverse immigrant communities, and its significant contributions to the development of the Midwest.
Don’t miss the chance to visit the museum’s incredible collection of vintage trains, including the iconic Union Pacific Big Boy steam locomotive. Marvel at the engineering marvels of the past and gain a deeper understanding of their impact on the region.
Immerse yourself in the past and discover the captivating history of Omaha at the Durham Museum. Whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply curious about the city’s heritage, this museum offers a fascinating journey through time.
Watch a Game at TD Ameritrade Park
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Elijah Ramirez
If you’re in Omaha, Nebraska this weekend, make sure to watch a game at TD Ameritrade Park. This baseball stadium is the home of the NCAA College World Series and hosts various other events throughout the year. Here are some suggestions of what you can do when watching a game at TD Ameritrade Park:
- Cheer for your favorite team as they compete on the field.
- Enjoy the lively atmosphere filled with passionate fans.
- Indulge in delicious ballpark food like hot dogs, nachos, and pretzels.
- Take in the stunning views of the stadium and the Omaha skyline.
- Experience the excitement of a close game or a thrilling home run.
Attending a game at TD Ameritrade Park is a fantastic way to spend your weekend in Omaha. Immerse yourself in the world of baseball and create memories that will last a lifetime.
Explore Omaha Children’s Museum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Mason White
When visiting Omaha, Nebraska, make sure to explore the Omaha Children’s Museum. This family-friendly destination offers a variety of activities and exhibits that will engage and educate children of all ages.
- Interactive exhibits: The museum features hands-on exhibits that allow children to explore different subjects, such as science, art, and culture. Kids can engage in imaginative play, experiment with water and magnets, and even build their own structures.
- Special events: Throughout the year, the museum hosts special events and programs that provide even more opportunities for children to learn and have fun. From themed parties to educational workshops, there’s always something exciting happening at the Omaha Children’s Museum.
- Outdoor play area: In addition to its indoor exhibits, the museum also has an outdoor play area where children can enjoy fresh air and physical activities. They can climb on the play structures, slide down slides, and engage in imaginative play in a safe and supervised environment.
- Educational programs: The Omaha Children’s Museum offers educational programs and classes designed to enhance children’s learning experiences. From art classes to science workshops, these programs help cultivate children’s curiosity and love for learning.
- Visitor information: The museum is open during weekends and weekdays. Admission fees and operating hours may vary, so it’s recommended to check the Omaha Children’s Museum‘s website for the most up-to-date information before your visit.
What Are the Top Restaurants in Omaha?
What Are the Top Restaurants in Omaha?
- Jackson Street Tavern: Located in the heart of downtown Omaha, Jackson Street Tavern is one of the top restaurants in the city. It offers a cozy atmosphere and a menu featuring mouthwatering steaks, seafood, and classic American dishes.
- The Drover: When it comes to must-visit restaurants in Omaha, The Drover tops the list. It is renowned for their famous whiskey steaks. Their tender, juicy steaks are cooked to perfection and paired with delicious sides.
- Omaha Prime: For a fine dining experience, Omaha Prime is the ultimate destination. With their elegant ambiance and top-notch service, they offer a variety of upscale dishes like filet mignon and lobster tails.
- Block 16: If you are looking for a more casual and unique dining experience, Block 16 is the perfect choice. This local favorite is known for their creative and flavorful sandwiches and burgers, all made with locally sourced ingredients.
- Blue Sushi Sake Grill: Sushi enthusiasts cannot miss Blue Sushi Sake Grill. It is a must-try restaurant in Omaha, offering a wide selection of fresh and innovative sushi rolls, along with delicious sake and craft cocktails.
Fun fact: Omaha is home to the famous Omaha Steaks, a renowned company that specializes in high-quality steaks and gourmet food.
Where to Find the Best Steaks in Omaha?
When it comes to finding the best steaks in Omaha, you have several outstanding options to choose from:
- Gorat’s Steakhouse: Known as Warren Buffett’s favorite steakhouse, Gorat’s has been serving delicious steaks since 1944. Their perfectly cooked, juicy cuts of beef are a must-try for any steak lover.
- Omaha Prime: Located in the historic Old Market District, Omaha Prime offers prime-grade steaks cooked to perfection. The elegant ambiance and attentive service make for a memorable dining experience.
- Johnny’s Cafe: A local institution since 1922, Johnny’s Cafe is famous for its classic steaks. From mouthwatering filet mignon to flavorful ribeye, their steaks are cooked to your desired level of doneness.
- 801 Chophouse: Situated in the heart of downtown Omaha, 801 Chophouse is a premier steakhouse known for its top-quality steaks. Their bone-in ribeye and dry-aged cuts are highly recommended.
- Drover: If you’re looking for a unique steakhouse experience, head to Drover. They specialize in whiskey marinated steaks cooked over an open flame, resulting in a smoky and flavorful dining experience.
Each of these restaurants offers a different ambiance and style, but they all have one thing in common – exceptional steaks that will satisfy even the most discerning steak connoisseur. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply craving a delicious steak, these Omaha establishments are sure to impress.
What Are the Local Delicacies to Try in Omaha?
When in Omaha, there are several local delicacies that you must try to get a taste of the city’s unique flavors. What Are the Local Delicacies to Try in Omaha? Here is a list of some of the top local delicacies in Omaha:
- Steaks: Omaha is known for its incredible steaks. Head to the Cascio’s Steakhouse, Gorat’s Steakhouse, or Johnny’s Cafe for some of the best steaks in town.
- Runza: A Nebraska favorite, the Runza is a delicious sandwich filled with seasoned ground beef, onions, and cabbage, all baked into a soft bread pocket. Runza Restaurant is the place to go to try this local delight.
- Reuben Sandwich: Omaha claims to be the home of the original Reuben sandwich. Crescent Moon Ale House and The Drover are known for serving up mouthwatering Reubens.
- Loose Meat Sandwich: Another local favorite, the loose meat sandwich is made with seasoned ground beef served on a bun. Ted & Wally’s and Stella’s Bar & Grill are great places to sample this unique sandwich.
- Bison Burger: For a taste of the Great Plains, try a bison burger. Blatt Beer & Table serves up juicy bison burgers that are not to be missed.
- Fried Chicken: Experience delicious crispy fried chicken at The Woodcliff Lakeside Grill or Hook & Lime.
These local delicacies will give you a true taste of Omaha’s culinary scene. Don’t miss the opportunity to savor these unique flavors when you visit!
Where to Find the Best Brunch Spots in Omaha?
If you’re wondering where to find the best brunch spots in Omaha, look no further! Here are some top recommendations:
- Early Bird – Located in the Blackstone District, Early Bird is known for its delicious brunch menu. Indulge in options like avocado toast, breakfast burritos, and their signature pancakes.
- Over Easy – A popular brunch spot in Omaha, Over Easy offers creative twists on classic breakfast dishes. Don’t miss out on their famous “Benny Feller” eggs benedict or the indulgent red velvet pancakes.
- Le Bouillon – Looking for a French-inspired brunch experience? Le Bouillon is the place to go. With options like croissant French toast and savory quiches, you’ll find a range of delicious choices here.
- Modern Love – For a vegan and vegetarian-friendly brunch, head to Modern Love. Try their unique dishes like vegan biscuits and gravy or the famous tempeh bacon scramble.
- Mantra Bar and Grille – Situated in downtown Omaha, Mantra Bar and Grille offers a diverse brunch menu. From classic eggs benedict to flavorful omelets, there’s something for everyone at this vibrant restaurant.
When deciding where to have brunch in Omaha, take into consideration the atmosphere, menu options, and location that best suits your preferences. Whether you’re craving traditional breakfast dishes or eager to try something new, Omaha has an array of brunch spots to satisfy your taste buds.
What Are the Must-Try Craft Breweries in Omaha?
- What Are the Must-Try Craft Breweries in Omaha?
- Brickway Brewery and Distillery: Located in the Old Market district, Brickway Brewery and Distillery offers a variety of craft beers, including their popular IPA and seasonal brews.
- Zipline Brewing Co: Known for their innovative and unique beer creations, Zipline Brewing Co offers a rotating selection of craft beers, ranging from hop-forward IPAs to rich stouts and lagers.
- Vis Major Brewing Co: Specializing in Belgian-inspired beers, Vis Major Brewing Co is a must-visit for beer enthusiasts. Their selection includes traditional Belgian styles such as Tripels and Saisons, as well as experimental brews.
- Scriptown Brewing Company: With a focus on traditional brewing techniques, Scriptown Brewing Company offers a range of classic beer styles. Their taproom provides a cozy and relaxed atmosphere to enjoy their craft beers.
- Farnam House Brewing Company: Combining traditional brewing methods with modern flavors, Farnam House Brewing Company offers an eclectic selection of craft beers. From German-style lagers to American IPAs, there is something for everyone.
These craft breweries in Omaha offer a unique and diverse range of beers, providing visitors with the opportunity to explore different flavors and styles. Whether you prefer hoppy IPAs or smooth stouts, these breweries are worth a visit to experience the thriving craft beer scene in Omaha.
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Omaha?
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Omaha? These activities offer a range of experiences for families to enjoy together, from learning about animals at the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium to exploring the vibrant Old Market District. Take a peaceful stroll at Lauritzen Gardens or immerse yourself in art at the Joslyn Art Museum. For outdoor adventure, experience the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge or enjoy nature at Fontenelle Forest. Discover Omaha’s rich history at the Durham Museum or catch a game at TD Ameritrade Park. For a fun and educational experience, visit the Omaha Children’s Museum. Whether you’re seeking cultural enrichment, outdoor exploration, or family fun, Omaha has something for everyone.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the best things to do in Omaha, Nebraska this weekend?
Omaha offers a variety of exciting activities for visitors to enjoy this weekend. Some of the best things to do include visiting Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, exploring the Old Market district, and attending events like the F45 Training Workout at Fabletics or the DU Summer Sundays Karaoke at The Down Under Lounge. With nationally acclaimed exhibits, international recording artists, and adrenaline-pumping sports events, there is something for everyone in Omaha.
Can you provide more details about the F45 Training Workout at Fabletics?
On July 16, 2023, Fabletics in Omaha is hosting a FREE F45 Training Workout followed by a Private Shopping Event. The event is happening tomorrow at 10:00 AM and is organized by Fabletics. It provides a great opportunity to enjoy a workout and then have a private shopping experience at Fabletics. Don’t miss out on this exciting event!
Are there any wine dinners happening in Omaha this weekend?
Yes, Spirit World in Omaha is hosting two wine dinners on July 16: the Bastille Day Wine Dinner and the French Wine Dinner. These events offer a chance to enjoy delicious food paired with fine wines. If you’re a foodie and a wine lover, these wine dinners are a must-attend event.
What can I expect at the Omaha Thrift Tour?
The Omaha Thrift Tour, starting at Albany and Avers in Omaha, is a great opportunity for thrift shopping enthusiasts to explore the city. You can expect to discover unique and hidden treasures at various thrift stores in Omaha. It’s a fun and exciting way to spend your weekend and find some amazing deals.
Is there anything happening for children in Omaha this weekend?
Absolutely! Omaha offers several activities for children to enjoy. Omaha Children’s Museum is a perfect destination for children aged 8 and younger, with a variety of exhibits and special events. Additionally, the Omaha Thrift Tour might be a fun adventure for older kids who love exploring and discovering unique items.
How can I stay updated on future events in Omaha?
To stay updated on what’s happening in Omaha and not miss out on future events, activities, and deals, you can sign up for the eNewsletter. By subscribing to the weekly email newsletter, you will receive regular updates on upcoming events in Omaha and have the opportunity to plan your weekends accordingly.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.