Omaha, Nebraska, a vibrant city nestled in the heart of America’s Midwest, offers a wide array of activities and attractions for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, an art lover, or a history buff, Omaha has something to offer. Here are some of the must-visit places and things to do in Omaha today:
Visit the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium.
Explore the beautiful and expansive Lauritzen Gardens.
Take a leisurely stroll in the historic Old Market District.
Discover the iconic Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge offering stunning views of the city.
Immerse yourself in art and culture at the Joslyn Art Museum.
Visit the scenic Heartland of America Park, perfect for a peaceful walk by the lake.
Check out the fascinating exhibits at the Durham Museum, housed in a former train station.
Experience sporting events and live performances at the Bob Devaney Sports Center.
Enjoy a concert or live show at the historic Orpheum Theater.
Explore the wonders of aerospace at the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum.
When planning your visit to Omaha, it’s important to consider the best time to go. The city experiences all four seasons, with summers being warm and sunny, and winters being cold and snowy. The spring and fall offer mild temperatures and pleasant weather, making them ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the city.
In addition to the attractions listed, Omaha offers a variety of other places to visit, including the Omaha Children’s Museum, the Omaha Botanical Gardens, and the Joslyn Castle. For outdoor enthusiasts, there are several parks and trails to explore, such as the Fontenelle Forest and the Papio-Missouri River NRD Trails. Food lovers will also be delighted with the diverse culinary scene that Omaha has to offer, with a wide range of restaurants serving everything from traditional Nebraska cuisine to international flavors.
As the sun sets, the city comes alive with its vibrant nightlife scene. From lively bars and clubs to intimate live music venues, Omaha offers a variety of options for those looking for entertainment after dark.
With its blend of natural beauty, cultural attractions, and warm Midwestern hospitality, Omaha, Nebraska is a destination that should not be missed.
Visit the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jesse Thompson
When planning a trip to Omaha, Nebraska, one attraction that should be on your must-see list is the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium. This world-renowned zoo offers an array of exhibits and activities for visitors of all ages.
A visit to the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium allows you to see over 17,000 animals from 962 species, including rare and endangered species. This zoo is home to the largest indoor rainforest in North America, the world’s largest indoor desert, and the largest indoor swamp. You can explore exhibits such as the Desert Dome, Lied Jungle, and the Scott Aquarium, where you can have an up-close encounter with fascinating marine life.
One of the highlights of the zoo is the Kingdoms of the Night exhibit, which takes you on an underground journey to discover nocturnal animals. In addition, the zoo offers interactive experiences such as giraffe feeding, carousel rides, and a train ride around the park.
A trip to the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium offers an immersive experience, allowing you to appreciate the beauty and diversity of the animal kingdom. Whether you are a nature enthusiast or looking for a fun family outing, this zoo is a must-visit destination in Omaha.
The Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium has a rich history dating back to 1894 when it first opened as Riverview Park Zoo. Through dedicated conservation efforts and continuous improvements, the zoo has become a world-class attraction that promotes animal welfare and education. Its unforgettable experiences continue to attract visitors from near and far, emphasizing the importance of wildlife preservation.
Explore the Lauritzen Gardens
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Ethan Perez
When you explore the Lauritzen Gardens, you will find yourself immersed in a botanical wonderland. This garden is a must-visit destination in Omaha, Nebraska, with its stunning collection of flora and fauna. Take a leisurely stroll through the beautifully manicured gardens and marvel at the vibrant colors of the flowers. As you walk, breathe in the refreshing scent of nature surrounding you. The Lauritzen Gardens offers a serene and peaceful atmosphere, perfect for a leisurely walk or a picnic with your loved ones. Don’t forget to include a visit to the rose garden, where you can admire the delicate petals of different rose varieties. It’s a true feast for the senses.
Here’s a fun fact: Did you know that the Lauritzen Gardens spans over 100 acres of land? That’s equivalent to about 75 football fields! So, be prepared for a vast and breathtaking experience as you explore the Lauritzen Gardens and immerse yourself in this botanical paradise.
Take a Stroll in the Old Market District
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Ryan Scott
Take a stroll in the Old Market District and immerse yourself in the unique charm and history of Omaha, Nebraska.
This vibrant neighborhood offers a range of activities and experiences for visitors.
- Discover quaint shops and boutiques, where you can find one-of-a-kind souvenirs or artisanal products.
- Indulge in a variety of dining options, from trendy cafes to upscale restaurants, offering diverse cuisines.
- Experience the lively atmosphere of the outdoor farmers market, where you can sample fresh local produce and unique crafts.
- Explore the art galleries and museums that showcase the creativity and talent of local artists.
- Admire the beautiful architecture and historic buildings that tell the story of Omaha’s past.
Whether you’re a history buff, a food enthusiast, or simply looking for a leisurely walk, the Old Market District has something for everyone. So take a stroll and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of this charming neighborhood.
Discover the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge
Discover the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, a must-visit attraction in Omaha, Nebraska.
- The bridge spans the Missouri River and connects Nebraska and Iowa, making it the longest pedestrian bridge to link two states.
- Enjoy breathtaking views: From the bridge, you can discover stunning views of the river, the Omaha skyline, and the surrounding area.
- Walk or bike across: The bridge is open to pedestrians and cyclists, providing a great opportunity for exercise and outdoor activities.
- Experience a unique architectural design: Discover the visually striking cable-stayed design of the bridge, adding to the overall appeal of the structure.
- Visit day or night: The bridge is well-lit and offers a different ambiance during the day and evening, making it a beautiful spot to discover at any time.
Whether you’re a local looking for a scenic walk or a tourist wanting to explore Omaha’s landmarks, discovering the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a must for anyone visiting the area.
Explore the Joslyn Art Museum
Explore the vibrant and enriching experience offered by the Joslyn Art Museum. With its extensive collection of diverse artworks, art enthusiasts can immerse themselves in various artistic styles and periods. The museum’s interactive exhibits encourage active engagement, fostering a deeper understanding of art history. The beautifully curated galleries showcase renowned pieces by artists such as Monet, Renoir, and Rembrandt. Additionally, the museum regularly hosts special exhibitions that highlight contemporary artists and emerging art trends. Whether you are interested in paintings, sculptures, or photography, the Joslyn Art Museum has something to offer everyone. Immerse yourself in the world of art and discover the beauty and creativity that the museum has to offer.
Visit the Heartland of America Park
If you’re in Omaha, Nebraska, make sure to visit the Heartland of America Park.
This beautiful park is located in downtown Omaha and offers stunning views of the city skyline and the Missouri River.
You can take a leisurely walk along the park’s pathways, have a picnic by the water, or simply relax and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
The park also features a breathtaking fountain that shoots water up to 320 feet in the air.
It’s a great spot to unwind and appreciate the natural beauty of the area.
Fun fact: The fountain at the Heartland of America Park is one of the largest fountains in the United States.
It contains over one million gallons of water and can create a stunning water display with synchronized music and lights.
Check Out the Durham Museum
The Durham Museum is a must-visit destination in Omaha, Nebraska. If you want to explore the history and culture of the region, Check Out the Durham Museum. With its impressive collection of artifacts and exhibits, you will get a firsthand look at the city’s past. In addition, the museum offers interactive displays and educational programs, making it an ideal spot for families and history enthusiasts. Don’t miss the opportunity to Check Out the Durham Museum and immerse yourself in the rich heritage of Omaha.
Experience the Bob Devaney Sports Center
Experience the Bob Devaney Sports Center, a premier sports facility in Omaha, Nebraska. Discover the thrilling atmosphere and top-notch amenities this center has to offer.
- Watch exciting athletic events: Immerse yourself in the electric atmosphere of live sports competitions at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. From basketball to volleyball to gymnastics, the center hosts a variety of thrilling sporting events.
- Enjoy state-of-the-art facilities: The Bob Devaney Sports Center offers modern and well-maintained facilities to enhance your experience. Experience the comfort of comfortable seating, excellent sightlines, and top-notch audiovisual systems.
- Engage in fitness activities: Take advantage of the fitness amenities offered at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. Whether you prefer cardio workouts or strength training, the center provides a range of fitness activities for all levels.
- Participate in recreational programs: Join recreational activities and programs organized at the Bob Devaney Sports Center. From youth sports leagues to adult fitness classes, there’s something for everyone to stay active and have fun.
- Connect with the community: The Bob Devaney Sports Center is not just a place for sports, but also a hub for community engagement. Experience the opportunity to attend events, meet fellow sports enthusiasts, and foster a sense of belonging.
Experience the Bob Devaney Sports Center and immerse yourself in a world of sports, fitness, and community engagement.
Enjoy a Concert at the Orpheum Theater
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Richard Jackson
Experience the thrill of a live performance at the historic Orpheum Theater in Omaha, Nebraska. Enjoy a concert at the Orpheum Theater in the beautifully restored venue, known for its stunning architecture and excellent acoustics. From world-renowned musicians to Broadway shows, the Orpheum Theater offers a diverse range of entertainment for all music lovers.
Pro-Tip: Arrive early to explore the surrounding downtown area and grab a bite to eat at one of the nearby restaurants. Enhance your experience by checking the theater’s schedule in advance and purchasing tickets in advance to secure your spot for a memorable night of music at the Orpheum Theater.
Visit the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum
Visit the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum is a must-visit attraction in Omaha, Nebraska. This museum showcases the history and advancements of aerospace technology, making it a fascinating destination for enthusiasts and curious visitors alike. You can explore a wide range of exhibits that highlight the strategic role of the U.S. Air Force and its impact on national security. The museum offers an engaging experience with interactive displays, historical artifacts, and impressive aircraft displays. Plan your visit to the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum to gain a deeper understanding of aviation history and witness the evolution of air and space technology firsthand.
What Is the Best Time to Visit Omaha, Nebraska?
The best time to visit Omaha, Nebraska is during the summer months, specifically from June to August.
What Is the Best Time to Visit Omaha, Nebraska? The weather during this time is typically warm and sunny, with average temperatures ranging from 80 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
This allows visitors to fully enjoy outdoor activities and attractions in the city. The summer season also offers a variety of events and festivals, such as the Omaha Summer Arts Festival and the College World Series, which provide entertainment and cultural experiences.
Additionally, the city’s lush parks and gardens are in full bloom during this time, making it a picturesque destination.
However, it is important to note that summer can also be the busiest tourist season, so visitors should be prepared for larger crowds and higher prices.
What Are Other Attractions to Visit in Omaha, Nebraska?
When visiting Omaha, Nebraska, there are several other attractions besides the well-known ones that you should consider:
- The Durham Museum: This museum is housed in a beautifully restored train station and showcases the history of the region through exhibits and artifacts.
- The Omaha Children’s Museum: A great attraction for families, this museum offers interactive exhibits and educational programs for children of all ages.
- The Omaha Performing Arts: Catch a live performance at one of the city’s premier venues, such as the Holland Performing Arts Center or the Orpheum Theater.
- The Joslyn Castle: Take a tour of this stunning Scottish Baronial-style mansion and learn about its fascinating history and architecture.
- Fontenelle Forest: Explore this 1,400-acre nature reserve with hiking trails, wildlife viewing, and educational programs.
- Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Visit one of the best zoos in the country, featuring a diverse range of animals and interactive exhibits.
- The Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge: Take a walk or bike ride across this unique bridge that spans the Missouri River and offers beautiful views of the Omaha skyline.
- Heartland of America Park: Enjoy a picnic or a leisurely stroll at this waterfront park, featuring a large lake, fountains, and beautiful landscaping.
- The Omaha Farmers Market: Explore this vibrant market, offering a variety of fresh produce, local food vendors, and artisan goods.
- The Lauritzen Gardens: Discover a wide variety of plant collections, including a Victorian garden, a rose garden, and a tropical conservatory.
With these additional attractions, you can make the most of your visit to Omaha, Nebraska.
Are There Any Outdoor Activities in Omaha, Nebraska?
Are There Any Outdoor Activities in Omaha, Nebraska? There are plenty of outdoor activities to enjoy in Omaha, Nebraska. Here is a list of some options:
- Visit the Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Explore the zoo’s extensive outdoor exhibits and witness a variety of animals in their natural habitats.
- Explore the Lauritzen Gardens: Take a leisurely stroll through beautiful gardens filled with botanical wonders.
- Take a Stroll in the Old Market District: Enjoy the charming streets lined with shops, restaurants, and outdoor seating areas.
- Discover the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge: Walk or bike across this bridge that spans the Missouri River, offering scenic views of the city.
- Visit the Heartland of America Park: Enjoy a relaxing time by the lake, surrounded by stunning sculptures and a fountain.
One summer day, my friends and I decided to explore the Heartland of America Park. We packed a picnic and spent the afternoon lounging by the lake. We enjoyed the beauty of the park, watching the ducks swim and listening to the soothing sounds of the fountain. As the sun began to set, we marveled at the colors reflecting on the water. It was a perfect day spent outdoors, appreciating the natural beauty of Omaha.
What Are the Best Restaurants in Omaha, Nebraska?
When it comes to dining in Omaha, Nebraska, you might be wondering, “What are the best restaurants in Omaha?” Well, I’ve got you covered. Here are some top-notch establishments worth a visit:
- Dante Pizzeria Napoletana: If you’re in the mood for authentic Neapolitan-style pizzas made with fresh ingredients and cooked in a wood-fired oven, Dante Pizzeria Napoletana is the place to be. It’s a must-visit for pizza enthusiasts.
- The Grey Plume: Known for its farm-to-table concept, The Grey Plume offers a seasonal menu that showcases locally sourced ingredients. It’s a restaurant that prides itself on sustainability and flavor.
- Block 16: Craving some delicious and unique sandwiches? Look no further than Block 16. This eatery is known for its inventive creations, including the classic Reuben. There’s something for everyone’s taste buds.
- Mula Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria: For those yearning for Mexican cuisine, Mula Mexican Kitchen & Tequileria is the place to go. They serve up tasty tacos, burritos, and margaritas that will make your mouth water.
- Farnam House Brewing Company: Beer lovers, rejoice! Farnam House Brewing Company is a brewery and restaurant that incorporates beer into their dishes. Enjoy a meal paired with one of their handcrafted beers.
If you’re looking for a memorable dining experience in Omaha, these restaurants are definitely worth a visit. From the authentic pizzas at Dante Pizzeria Napoletana to The Grey Plume’s commitment to locally sourced ingredients, there’s something to satisfy everyone’s palate.
What Is the Nightlife Like in Omaha, Nebraska?
The nightlife scene in Omaha, Nebraska offers a vibrant and diverse experience. There are numerous bars, clubs, and entertainment venues to explore in the city. Whether you’re looking for a laid-back pub, a lively dance floor, or live music performances, Omaha has something for everyone.
One popular spot for nightlife in Omaha is the Old Market District. This historic area is filled with trendy bars and restaurants, offering a lively atmosphere and a wide range of drink options. You can enjoy craft cocktails, local beers, and a variety of delicious food choices.
In addition to the Old Market District, there are also several clubs and music venues where you can dance the night away or catch a live performance. The Slowdown, The Waiting Room Lounge, and Harney Street Tavern are just a few examples of the many venues that host local and national acts.
If you prefer a more relaxed evening, you can visit one of the city’s many speakeasies or rooftop bars. These hidden gems offer a cozy and intimate atmosphere where you can unwind with a well-crafted cocktail and enjoy the city views.
So, whether you’re in the mood for dancing, live music, or a quiet night out, Omaha’s nightlife has something to offer. Explore the city after dark and discover the vibrant energy that makes it a hotspot for entertainment.
During the 1920s, Omaha had a colorful and notorious nightlife scene, with many speakeasies thriving during the Prohibition era. Jazz music filled the air, and underground clubs attracted people from all walks of life. Omaha’s nightlife history is a testament to the city’s enduring spirit of entertainment and fun.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some unique experiences available in Omaha this weekend?
Omaha offers a variety of unique experiences this weekend. Visitors can enjoy nationally acclaimed exhibits, watch international recording artists perform, or attend adrenaline-pumping sports events. The city also has charming cobblestone streets, quirky stores like Ray Gun, and hip restaurants in the Old Market district.
Are there any comedy events happening in Omaha today?
Yes, there are comedy events happening in Omaha today. Crazy Laughs at Backswing Brewing and DENTCRAFTER’S Presents: The OG’s & WannaBe’s of Comedy are two comedy events taking place today. They promise a night of laughter and entertainment at Backswing Brewing Co. and Beer Can Alley, respectively.
What concerts or music events are happening in Omaha today?
There is a concert called Thrash of Titans: Tribute to Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Slayer happening today at Dream On The Green. This event is perfect for fans of metal music. Additionally, there may be other music events and performances taking place, so it’s worth checking out the local listings for more information.
Are there any outdoor activities for kids in Omaha today?
Yes, there are outdoor activities for kids in Omaha today. Love & Hiking Date For Couples (Self-Guided) – Omaha Area is an event happening at Standing Bear Lake or other trails in Omaha. It offers a fun and adventurous experience for children to enjoy nature and hike with their families.
How can visitors stay updated on future events and activities in Omaha?
To stay updated on future events, activities, and deals in Omaha, visitors can sign up for the eNewsletter available on the Visit Omaha website. This will ensure that they receive regular updates and don’t miss out on any exciting and upcoming events in the city.
What are some recommended attractions to visit in Omaha this weekend?
Omaha has a wide range of attractions to visit. Some top recommendations include Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, Old Market, The Durham Museum, Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, and Lauritzen Gardens Omaha’s Botanical Center. These attractions offer unique experiences and are loved by both locals and tourists.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.