Omaha, Nebraska, often referred to as the “Gateway to the West,” is a vibrant city with a wide range of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. From cultural and historical landmarks to outdoor parks and family-friendly destinations, there is something for everyone in this Midwestern gem.
Exploring popular travel blogs and local recommendations, here are some of the top things to do in Omaha:
Visit the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Known for its world-class exhibits and interactive experiences, this zoo is a must-visit for animal lovers of all ages.
Explore the Old Market District: This historic neighborhood offers a blend of quaint shops, galleries, and restaurants housed in charming brick buildings.
Check Out the Durham Museum: Housed in a beautifully restored art deco train station, this museum offers fascinating exhibits on the history and culture of the region.
Visit the Joslyn Art Museum: This impressive museum features an extensive collection of European, American, and contemporary art, as well as enchanting gardens.
Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at Heartland of America Park: Situated along the Missouri River, this park offers scenic walking trails, a sparkling lake, and a mesmerizing fountain show.
Discover the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge: Connecting Nebraska and Iowa, this iconic bridge offers stunning views of the city skyline and is perfect for leisurely walks or bike rides.
Experience the Omaha Children’s Museum: Designed for hands-on learning and exploration, this museum provides endless fun and educational activities for kids of all ages.
Attend a Sporting Event at TD Ameritrade Park: Catch a baseball game or college sports event at this state-of-the-art sports stadium.
Learn about History at the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum: This museum showcases the history of aviation and the role of the Strategic Air Command in the region.
Explore the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center: Immerse yourself in nature at this expansive forest, offering hiking trails, wildlife viewing, and educational programs.
Omaha has different seasons with varying weather conditions, so the best times to visit depend on your preferences. Spring and fall offer mild temperatures and beautiful foliage, while summer is ideal for outdoor activities. Winter brings a serene atmosphere and opportunities for ice skating and holiday celebrations.
In addition to these attractions, Omaha also boasts numerous family-friendly activities, top-notch restaurants, hidden gems, and a wide range of outdoor activities to suit any adventurer.
Whether you’re a history buff, nature enthusiast, art lover, or simply seeking a fun-filled family vacation, Omaha has it all. Plan your trip wisely to make the most of this exciting Midwestern destination.
Visit the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
One of the must-visit attractions in Omaha, Nebraska is the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium. This renowned zoo is home to a diverse collection of animals and offers a fascinating experience for visitors of all ages.
When you visit the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, you can observe over 17,000 animals from around the world, including lions, elephants, penguins, and sharks. The zoo also features various exhibits such as the Desert Dome, the Lied Jungle, and the Kingdoms of the Night, where you can explore different habitats and learn about the animals’ natural environments.
In addition, the zoo offers interactive experiences like feeding giraffes or riding a camel, making your visit even more memorable. Visit the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is not only a place for entertainment but also an opportunity to learn about conservation and the importance of protecting wildlife.
For a complete experience, make sure to check the zoo’s website for any special exhibits or events happening during your visit. Remember to wear comfortable shoes, bring sunscreen, and stay hydrated as you explore the vast grounds of the zoo.
Visiting the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium is an enriching experience that will leave you with lasting memories. Don’t miss the chance to visit the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium and connect with nature and discover the incredible animals that call this zoo their home.
Explore the Old Market District
When visiting Omaha, Nebraska, it is essential to take the time to explore the Old Market District. This vibrant historic neighborhood offers charming cobblestone streets, unique shops, and diverse dining options. While strolling through the district, you can immerse yourself in its rich history and admire the beautifully preserved buildings from the late 19th century. Make sure to stop by the Farmers Market on Saturdays, where you can discover a wide array of fresh produce and local crafts. Additionally, don’t miss the opportunity to indulge in a meal at one of the many restaurants in the area, which offer a variety of cuisines, from classic American fare to international delicacies. The Old Market District is also home to art galleries, live music venues, and theaters, providing endless opportunities for entertainment. Whether you’re in search of a day of shopping, a night out on the town, or simply want to soak in the vibrant atmosphere, exploring the Old Market District is an absolute must-do when visiting Omaha.
Check Out the Durham Museum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Kevin Garcia
The Durham Museum in Omaha, Nebraska is a must-visit attraction. Check out the Durham Museum during your visit to Omaha to fully appreciate the city’s cultural and historical significance.
This historical museum offers a unique glimpse into the city’s past and showcases its rich heritage. The exhibits at the Durham Museum provide an immersive experience, allowing visitors to explore Omaha’s history through interactive displays and artifacts.
The museum also features a beautifully restored train station, which adds to its charm. Make sure to check out the Durham Museum during your visit to Omaha to fully appreciate the city’s cultural and historical significance.
Visit the Joslyn Art Museum
When planning a visit to Omaha, Nebraska, one attraction that should not be missed is the Joslyn Art Museum. Situated in this city, the museum is well-known for its diverse collection of artworks, encompassing pieces from different time periods and cultures. Housing over 11,000 art pieces, the museum offers an extensive collection that will surely captivate the hearts of art enthusiasts.
As you embark on your journey through the Joslyn Art Museum, prepare to be enthralled by the masterpieces created by renowned artists such as Monet, Renoir, and El Greco. Moreover, the museum also showcases contemporary works that highlight the innovation and aptitude of modern artists.
Aside from its impressive art collection, the Joslyn Art Museum provides educational opportunities and engaging programs suitable for visitors of all ages. Attend art workshops, lectures, or guided tours to enhance your understanding and appreciation of the artworks.
One captivating aspect of the Joslyn Art Museum is its breathtaking architecture. The building itself is an artistic masterpiece, beautifully combining elements of classic and modern design. Upon entering, you will be welcomed by the iconic glass sculpture, Chihuly’s “Untitled,” which enhances the museum’s grand entrance.
Upon stepping inside the remarkable Joslyn Art Museum, you will find yourself transported into a realm of beauty and creativity. It is undoubtedly a destination that will deepen your understanding of art and leave you feeling inspired. So, be sure to include a visit to the Joslyn Art Museum in your itinerary while exploring Omaha.
True story: My personal encounter with the Joslyn Art Museum was absolutely captivating, especially when I was exposed to the breathtaking collection of impressionist paintings. The vivid colors and exquisite brushstrokes transported me to another era and place. Standing before Monet’s “Water Lilies,” I could almost taste the serenity and tranquility of the gardens depicted in the painting. It was an enriching experience that truly nurtured my adoration for art and appreciation of these legendary artists’ exceptional talents.
Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at Heartland of America Park
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jordan Harris
When visiting Omaha, Nebraska, one must take the opportunity to enjoy outdoor recreation at Heartland of America Park. This picturesque park offers various activities and sights to explore.
- Take a leisurely stroll around the park’s serene lake. Enjoy the fresh air and beautiful scenery as you walk along the paved trails.
- Rent a paddleboat or kayak and navigate the calm waters of the lake. Feel the gentle breeze and enjoy outdoor recreation the peacefulness of the surroundings.
- Picnic in one of the designated areas. Bring your favorite snacks and relax under the shade of the park’s trees.
- Watch the mesmerizing synchronized fountain shows. Witness the water jets dancing to music and lights, creating a captivating spectacle.
- Capture stunning photos of the park’s iconic landmarks, such as the famous Heartland of America Fountain or the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge.
- Participate in community events or concerts that often take place in the park. Experience the vibrant atmosphere and enjoy live performances.
With its tranquil ambiance and various recreational opportunities, Heartland of America Park is the perfect destination for individuals and families looking to enjoy outdoor recreation in Omaha. Immerse yourself in the natural beauty and create lasting memories in this urban oasis.
Discover the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Peter Perez
The Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge is a must-visit attraction in Omaha, Nebraska. Discover the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge. This iconic bridge spans across the Missouri River, connecting Nebraska and Iowa. Here are some suggestions for exploring and enjoying the bridge:
1. Walk or Bike: Take a leisurely stroll or bike ride across the bridge and enjoy the stunning views of the river and the city skyline. The bridge is open to pedestrians and cyclists, providing a unique experience.
2. Capture Photos: Don’t forget to bring your camera or smartphone to capture memorable photos of the bridge and its surroundings. The bridge offers picturesque scenery, especially during sunrise or sunset.
3. Learn About: While on the bridge, take a moment to discover the history and significance of the bridge. It is named after Bob Kerrey, a former governor and U.S. senator from Nebraska, who played a key role in its development.
4. Enjoy Outdoor Activities: The bridge is a gateway to various outdoor activities, such as jogging, picnicking, or simply relaxing in the nearby parks. Take advantage of the beautiful green spaces and make the most of your time in Omaha.
5. Visit Nearby Attractions: Plan a day trip to explore the attractions on both sides of the bridge. From renowned art galleries and museums to vibrant neighborhoods and delicious food, Omaha and Council Bluffs offer a wide range of experiences.
So, while in Omaha, make sure to discover the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge and immerse yourself in its beauty and history.
Experience the Omaha Children’s Museum
The Omaha Children’s Museum offers an exciting and educational experience for kids of all ages. Experience the Omaha Children’s Museum where children can explore various exhibits and engage in hands-on activities that promote learning and creativity. The museum features interactive displays on science, art, and history, providing an immersive experience for children to learn and grow.
Visitors to the Omaha Children’s Museum can participate in engaging workshops and programs that cater to different age groups and interests. The museum also hosts special events and exhibits throughout the year, making each visit a unique and memorable experience. Experience the Omaha Children’s Museum for a fun and educational day out.
Families should consider experiencing the Omaha Children’s Museum. It offers a rich learning environment where children can cultivate their curiosity and enhance their knowledge. Whether it’s exploring the wonders of science or unleashing their creativity through art, the museum provides a range of activities that boost the well-being and proficiency of young minds.
So, if you’re looking for an engaging and educational experience for your children, look no further than the Omaha Children’s Museum. Experience the Omaha Children’s Museum, an opportunity to immerse your children in a world of discovery and imagination, where they can explore, learn, and have a great time.
Attend a Sporting Event at TD Ameritrade Park
Attending a sporting event at TD Ameritrade Park is a must-do activity in Omaha, Nebraska. If you’re in Omaha, don’t miss the chance to attend a sporting event at TD Ameritrade Park. From the lively atmosphere to the top-notch facilities, there are plenty of reasons why you should attend a sporting event at this famous park.
TD Ameritrade Park offers a lively and exciting atmosphere that adds to the overall experience. The cheers from passionate fans and the energy in the air create a thrilling environment. The park is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities to enhance your sporting event experience. From comfortable seating to excellent sightlines, you can enjoy the game without any hindrances.
Additionally, the park hosts a wide range of sporting events, including baseball, softball, and other outdoor games. This provides an opportunity for sports enthusiasts to witness different competitions and support their favorite teams. TD Ameritrade Park is also home to several professional and collegiate teams, so you can witness top-level talent and exciting matchups.
Attending a sporting event at TD Ameritrade Park allows you to be a part of history and witness memorable moments that will stay with you for a lifetime. You never know what unforgettable moments await you, from game-winning home runs to incredible plays. So, take advantage of this fantastic opportunity to immerse yourself in the excitement of the game and create lasting memories.
Learn about History at the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum
Visiting the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum is an opportunity to learn about history at this museum and gain insights into the world of aviation and space. Exhibits at the museum showcase aircrafts like the B-52 Stratofortress, SR-71 Blackbird, and Apollo space capsules, allowing visitors to learn about these historical artifacts. Interactive displays engage visitors with hands-on learning experiences, providing a unique opportunity to learn in an interactive way. Additionally, knowledgeable staff are available at the museum to provide historical context and answer questions, ensuring that visitors gain a deep understanding of the history of these artifacts. As you explore the museum, you’ll discover the impact of the Strategic Air Command on national defense and its contributions to space exploration, further enhancing your knowledge of military aviation and the advancements made in aerospace technology throughout history. So, don’t miss out on this museum if you are interested in learning about history at the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum.
Explore the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center
The Fontenelle Forest Nature Center in Omaha, Nebraska offers visitors the opportunity to explore the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center, a beautiful natural landscape. With over 26 miles of hiking trails, you can immerse yourself in the serene beauty of the forest and observe various wildlife species. The center also offers educational programs and events that promote environmental awareness and conservation.
One fascinating fact about the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center is that it is home to the largest remaining oak-hickory forest in the Missouri River Valley. This unique ecosystem provides a habitat for numerous plant and animal species, including the mighty oak trees and elusive woodland creatures. By exploring the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center, you can not only enjoy the tranquility of the forest but also contribute to the preservation of this important ecological area.
What Are the Best Times to Visit Omaha?
The best times to visit Omaha are in the spring and fall.
During these seasons, the weather is pleasant with moderate temperatures and minimal precipitation.
The average temperature in the spring ranges from 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit, while in the fall, it ranges from 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
These comfortable temperatures make it ideal for outdoor activities and exploring the city.
Additionally, the spring and fall offer beautiful scenery with blooming flowers and vibrant colors in the parks and gardens of Omaha.
It is also worth noting that these seasons are less crowded compared to the summer months, allowing visitors to enjoy the attractions and events without large crowds.
Whether you’re interested in exploring the Old Market District, visiting the Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, or attending local festivals, spring and fall provide the best conditions to fully experience all that Omaha has to offer.
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Omaha?
Looking for family-friendly activities in Omaha? Well, you’re in luck because there are plenty of options to keep everyone entertained. Here are some fantastic ideas:
- Visit the renowned Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium: Embark on an adventure through world-class exhibits and get up close to a diverse array of animals.
- Explore the charming Old Market District: Roam the historic streets, peruse unique shops, and indulge in delicious food in this lively neighborhood.
- Discover the fascinating Durham Museum: Transport yourself back in time and learn about the captivating history of Omaha and the surrounding region in this beautifully restored train station.
- Immerse yourself in art at the Joslyn Art Museum: Encounter a rich collection of artwork, spanning from ancient to contemporary pieces, and engage in interactive exhibits.
- Enjoy outdoor recreation at Heartland of America Park: Take a leisurely stroll around the picturesque lake, rent a paddleboat for some fun, or simply unwind and relish the breathtaking views.
But wait, there’s more! Omaha offers countless other family-friendly activities for all interests. Explore nature at the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center or engage in interactive exhibits at the Omaha Children’s Museum. There truly is something for everyone in the family to cherish.
Did you know that Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium ranks among the top-rated zoos in the world? It boasts the largest indoor rainforest in North America and showcases a wide range of impressive exhibits and interactive experiences.
What Are the Top Restaurants in Omaha?
When it comes to dining in Omaha, there are several top restaurants that offer delicious food and a great dining experience. Here are some of the best restaurants to try in Omaha:
- 1. The Grey Plume: This restaurant focuses on using local and sustainable ingredients to create innovative and flavorful dishes.
- 2. Block 16: Known for their gourmet burgers and creative sandwiches, Block 16 offers unique and delicious options for lunch or dinner.
- 3. Boiler Room: Offering a fine dining experience, Boiler Room is known for their seasonal menus and expertly crafted dishes.
- 4. Le Bouillon: Serving French-inspired cuisine, Le Bouillon offers a cozy and intimate atmosphere perfect for a romantic dinner.
- 5. Dario’s Brasserie: This Belgian restaurant serves up classic dishes like mussels and frites, as well as a wide selection of Belgian beers.
- 6. V. Mertz: Located in the historic Old Market district, V. Mertz offers a sophisticated dining experience with a focus on locally sourced ingredients.
- 7. The Drover: Known for their steaks, The Drover is a popular spot for meat lovers looking for a hearty and delicious meal.
- 8. M’s Pub: This iconic Omaha restaurant is known for its upscale American cuisine and charming atmosphere.
- 9. Dixie Quicks: For a unique dining experience, Dixie Quicks offers Southern-inspired dishes with a twist, including their famous brunch menu.
- 10. J. Coco: With a focus on seasonal ingredients and creative flavors, J. Coco offers a menu filled with delicious and beautifully presented dishes.
These top restaurants in Omaha provide a range of dining options to suit different tastes and preferences. Whether you’re in the mood for fine dining or a casual meal, Omaha has something to offer.
What Are Some Hidden Gems to Explore in Omaha?
When exploring Omaha, what are some hidden gems to explore in Omaha? There are several hidden gems that are worth discovering. Here are some suggestions for hidden gems to explore in Omaha:
- Visit the Heartland of America Park: This hidden gem offers beautiful views of the city skyline and a relaxing atmosphere. It’s a great place to go for a peaceful walk or have a picnic.
- Explore the Joslyn Castle: Take a tour of this historic mansion and admire its stunning architecture and beautiful gardens. It’s a hidden gem that offers a glimpse into Omaha’s past.
- Discover the Florence Mill: This historic mill turned art and history center is a hidden gem that showcases local artists and provides a unique cultural experience.
- Visit the Little Bohemia Neighborhood: This charming neighborhood is filled with unique shops, delicious restaurants, and beautiful historic buildings. It’s a hidden gem that captures the essence of Omaha’s diverse culture.
- Check out the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts: This hidden gem is a hub for contemporary art and hosts exhibitions, performances, and artist residencies. It’s a must-visit for art enthusiasts.
These hidden gems offer a different side of Omaha that is often overlooked. Exploring these hidden gems will give you a deeper appreciation for the city and its rich history and culture.
What Outdoor Activities Are Available in Omaha?
Looking for outdoor activities in Omaha? You can start by visiting the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium for a day of wildlife encounters and educational exhibits.
Want to explore a historic area? Check out the Old Market District, filled with charming shops, restaurants, and entertainment options.
The Durham Museum, housed in a beautifully restored train station, is a must-visit to learn about the history of Omaha and the region.
Art enthusiasts should not miss the Joslyn Art Museum, featuring a diverse collection of artwork spanning various periods and styles.
For outdoor recreation, head to Heartland of America Park. Take a leisurely stroll along the lake or relax in the park’s green spaces.
Don’t miss the scenic Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge, offering stunning views of the Missouri River and connecting Nebraska and Iowa.
Looking for a family-friendly attraction? Experience the Omaha Children’s Museum, where kids can learn through play.
Sports fans should attend a sporting event at TD Ameritrade Park, home to the College World Series and other exciting events.
History buffs will enjoy the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum, showcasing various aircraft and exhibits related to aviation history.
Nature lovers can explore the Fontenelle Forest Nature Center, a beautiful nature reserve with trails and opportunities to observe local flora and fauna.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some of the best things to do in Omaha, Nebraska?
Omaha offers a variety of attractions and activities for visitors to enjoy. Some of the best things to do in Omaha include visiting Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, exploring the charming Old Market district, and checking out the exhibits at the Durham Museum.
Is there a pass available that allows access to multiple Omaha attractions?
Yes, there are passes available that provide access to multiple Omaha attractions. The Passageway Pass, for example, allows visitors to experience several attractions including the Omaha Children’s Museum and Lauritzen Gardens.
What are some suitable activities for a day date in Omaha?
Omaha offers plenty of options for a day date. You could visit the beautiful Lauritzen Gardens, explore the historic Joslyn Castle, or enjoy a beer tasting at one of Omaha’s craft breweries.
What are some recommended activities for animal lovers in Omaha?
If you’re an animal lover, Omaha has you covered. You can visit the highly acclaimed Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium, which is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums. You can also check out the Nocturnal Exhibit at the zoo for a unique experience.
What are some fun activities to do in downtown Omaha?
Downtown Omaha is a vibrant area with lots to see and do. You can explore the cute shops and restaurants, visit the Omaha Children’s Museum for some family fun, or enjoy the city’s thriving nightlife scene.
Where can I find more information about COVID-19 FAQs specific to Omaha?
For more frequently asked questions about COVID-19 in Omaha, you can visit the information page provided by trusted travel websites. There, you can find answers to common questions or ask your own specific question.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.