Provo, Utah, located in the picturesque Rocky Mountains, offers a variety of exciting activities and attractions for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, art lover, outdoor adventurer, or history buff, Provo has something to offer. Here are some of the top things to do in Provo, Utah:
Visit the Brigham Young University (BYU) Campus: Explore the beautiful campus of BYU, a prestigious educational institution, known for its stunning architecture and vibrant student life.
Explore the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum: Immerse yourself in the fascinating world of wildlife at this natural history museum, which houses a diverse collection of preserved animals and interactive exhibits.
Go Hiking in Provo Canyon: Experience the breathtaking beauty of Provo Canyon through hiking trails that offer stunning views of waterfalls, rock formations, and vibrant wildlife.
Visit the Provo City Center Temple: Admire the stunning architecture of this religious landmark, which was once a tabernacle and has been transformed into a beautiful temple.
Experience Outdoor Recreation at Utah Lake State Park: Enjoy a day of boating, fishing, swimming, or picnicking at Utah Lake State Park, a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
Enjoy Water Activities at the Provo River: Take a relaxing float down the Provo River or try your hand at fly fishing in this scenic waterway.
Discover the Historic Provo Pioneer Village: Step back in time and explore this living history museum showcasing restored historical buildings and artifacts from the pioneer era.
Explore the Springville Museum of Art: Delve into the world of art at this museum, home to a diverse collection of American, European, and local artwork.
Shop and Dine at the Riverwoods: Indulge in some retail therapy and savor delicious cuisine at the Riverwoods, a charming outdoor shopping center with a variety of shops and restaurants.
Attend a Performance at the Covey Center for the Arts: Immerse yourself in the vibrant arts scene of Provo by catching a music concert, theater performance, or art exhibition at this cultural hub.
With a moderate climate characterized by warm summers and cold winters, Provo offers enjoyable outdoor activities year-round. From local events and festivals to nearby ski resorts, there is always something happening in Provo. Families will also find plenty of kid-friendly activities to enjoy, and the city boasts a range of affordable dining options. Various accommodations, including hotels and vacation rentals, ensure a comfortable stay for visitors in Provo. Plan your trip to Provo, Utah, and immerse yourself in the charm of this vibrant city.
Visit the Brigham Young University Campus
When planning a trip to Provo, Utah, it is essential to carve out time to visit the Brigham Young University (BYU) Campus.
This campus offers a vibrant and engaging atmosphere that captures the essence of the university. With its array of facilities and activities, visitors will have numerous opportunities to indulge in the unique experience it offers.
Make sure to take a leisurely stroll through the campus grounds and marvel at its beautiful architecture. This will allow you to fully immerse yourself in the rich history and culture that Brigham Young University embodies. While you’re there, why not catch one of the exhilarating sporting events and cheer on the BYU Cougars, who are renowned for their competitive spirit?
To truly delve into the academic environment, be sure to pay a visit to the various departments and perhaps even attend some inspiring lectures or captivating performances. Additionally, don’t forget to explore the remarkable art museum on the BYU campus. This museum proudly showcases an impressive collection of both contemporary and classical art, ensuring a feast for the eyes.
No trip to the Brigham Young University Campus would be complete without a stop at the Harold B. Lee Library. This renowned library houses a staggering number of over 8 million items, making it one of the top research libraries in the entire country. Whether you’re an avid reader or a curious learner, this is an opportunity you definitely should not miss!
So, whether you’re an academic enthusiast, a passionate sports fan, or simply appreciate beautiful surroundings, a visit to the Brigham Young University Campus is an absolute must when exploring Provo, Utah.
Explore the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jonathan Williams
When exploring Provo, Utah, make sure to visit the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum for a fascinating experience:
- Marvel at the impressive collection of over 2,000 specimens showcasing the diversity of life on Earth.
- Learn about different ecosystems and habitats through immersive exhibits and interactive displays.
- Observe a variety of live animals, including reptiles, birds, mammals, and insects, up close.
- Discover the museum’s emphasis on education and research, with opportunities to participate in hands-on activities and workshops.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the importance of conservation and environmental stewardship.
FUN FACT: Did you know that you can explore the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum when visiting Provo, Utah?
Go Hiking in Provo Canyon
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Mason Hernandez
If you’re looking for an outdoor adventure in Provo, Utah, going hiking in Provo Canyon is a must-do activity. Here are the steps to enjoy a great hiking experience:
- Start by choosing a trail that suits your fitness level and preferences. Some popular trails in Provo Canyon include the Stewart Falls Trail and the Timpanogos Cave Trail.
- Make sure to check the weather conditions before heading out. Dress appropriately and bring proper gear such as hiking shoes, sunscreen, and a hat.
- Bring plenty of water and snacks to stay hydrated and energized during your hike.
- Follow trail markers and signs to stay on the designated path. Respect any closures or restrictions for your safety and to preserve the natural environment.
- Take your time to enjoy the stunning scenery and nature along the way. Capture some memorable moments with your camera.
- Be aware of your surroundings and watch out for wildlife. Keep a safe distance and do not feed or disturb any animals you encounter.
- After completing your hike, clean up after yourself and leave no trace. Respect the environment and take your trash with you.
Whether you’re a seasoned hiker or a beginner, Go Hiking in Provo Canyon offers a fantastic opportunity to connect with nature and enjoy breathtaking views. So lace up your hiking boots, pack your essentials, and embark on an unforgettable adventure in Provo Canyon.
Visit the Provo City Center Temple
If you’re visiting Provo, Utah, make sure to visit the Provo City Center Temple. This stunning temple was originally built as a tabernacle in the late 1800s and was later converted into a temple. It is a beautiful architectural marvel with intricate detailing and breathtaking interiors.
When you visit the Provo City Center Temple, you can explore the stunning art and craftsmanship that went into its construction. Admire the stained glass windows, the ornate woodwork, and the meticulous attention to detail throughout the building.
A pro-tip for your visit: make sure to check the temple’s opening hours as they vary throughout the week. Additionally, remember to dress modestly and respectfully to show reverence for the sacred space.
Experience Outdoor Recreation at Utah Lake State Park
Experience the joy of outdoor recreation at Utah Lake State Park by engaging in various activities amidst the beautiful natural surroundings. Boating, fishing, swimming, picnicking, hiking, and camping are all available options for visitors to enjoy.
- Boating: Enjoy a day on the water by renting a boat or bringing your own. Utah Lake provides ample space for boating enthusiasts.
- Fishing: Cast your line and try your luck at catching fish. Utah Lake is home to a variety of fish species, including bass, trout, and catfish.
- Swimming: Take a dip in the lake and cool off on a hot summer day. The park has designated swimming areas for visitors to enjoy.
- Picnicking: Bring along some food and have a picnic with family or friends. There are picnic tables and grilling areas available for a leisurely outdoor meal.
- Hiking: Explore the park’s hiking trails and immerse yourself in the natural beauty of Utah Lake State Park. Keep an eye out for wildlife as you walk through the scenic surroundings.
- Camping: Extend your outdoor adventure by camping at one of the park’s campsites. Spend a night under the stars and wake up to the peaceful serenity of the park.
Experience the joy of outdoor recreation at Utah Lake State Park and create lasting memories in the midst of nature.
Enjoy Water Activities at the Provo River
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jesse Williams
Are you ready to enjoy water activities at the Provo River? It’s a great way to have fun and stay active while experiencing the thrill of rafting, tubing, fishing, paddleboarding, and kayaking.
Experience the excitement of rafting down the Provo River. Paddle through rapids and take in the stunning scenery along the way.
Grab an inflatable tube and float along the gentle currents of the Provo River. Relax, soak up the sun, and enjoy the refreshing water.
Cast your line and try your luck at catching trout and other fish species in the excellent fishing opportunities of the Provo River.
Test your balance and core strength with paddleboarding on the Provo River. Glide across the water and savor the peaceful surroundings.
Explore the twists and turns of the Provo River in a kayak. It’s a fantastic way to get up close to nature and enjoy the water.
Whether you’re seeking adventure or relaxation, the Provo River offers a variety of water activities for everyone to enjoy. So, grab your gear and head to the river for a memorable day of fun on the water!
Discover the Historic Provo Pioneer Village
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jeremy Wilson
If you’re visiting Provo, don’t miss the opportunity to discover the historic Provo Pioneer Village.
This village is a living museum that takes you back to the pioneer era of Utah. You can explore authentic pioneer homes, a schoolhouse, a blacksmith shop, and other buildings that have been preserved from the 19th century. Experience firsthand the daily lives of the early settlers and learn about their challenges and triumphs.
Inside the village, you’ll find knowledgeable guides dressed in period clothing who can provide fascinating insights into the pioneer lifestyle. Whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply curious about the past, the Provo Pioneer Village offers a unique and educational experience for all ages.
Fun fact: Did you know that the Provo Pioneer Village was established in 1933 and has since become an important cultural landmark in Utah? It attracts thousands of visitors each year who are eager to explore the rich history of the region.
Explore the Springville Museum of Art
The Springville Museum of Art, located in Provo, Utah, is a must-visit destination. Explore the galleries filled with stunning paintings, sculptures, and ceramics, showcasing both local and international artists. With a collection of over 3,000 artworks, this museum offers a diverse and enriching cultural experience. It is truly a haven for art enthusiasts and anyone seeking inspiration and creativity.
One of the highlights of visiting the Springville Museum of Art is the opportunity to attend workshops or art classes. These interactive sessions allow you to cultivate your artistic skills and learn from experienced instructors. Additionally, make sure not to miss the museum’s gift shop, where you can find unique artwork, books, and other art-related merchandise to take home as a souvenir.
By exploring the Springville Museum of Art, you will have a fulfilling experience that allows you to appreciate the beauty and significance of art. Whether you are a seasoned art lover or just curious to explore a new cultural venue, this museum offers a captivating journey through the world of visual arts.
Shop and Dine at the Riverwoods
When visiting Provo, Utah, one must not miss the opportunity to shop and dine at the Riverwoods. The Riverwoods is a vibrant shopping and dining destination that offers a variety of options for visitors to enjoy.
- Shop: The Riverwoods boasts a wide range of stores, from popular retail chains to unique boutiques. Visitors can explore fashion stores for the latest trends, browse home decor shops for unique pieces, or discover specialty stores for niche interests.
- Dine: The dining options at the Riverwoods are equally impressive. There are numerous restaurants to choose from, offering various cuisines to suit every palate. Whether you’re in the mood for a casual meal or a fine dining experience, the Riverwoods has it all.
- Outdoor seating: Enjoy the beautiful Utah weather while dining at the Riverwoods. Many of the restaurants offer outdoor seating, allowing visitors to savor their meals surrounded by the scenic views and fresh air.
- Entertainment: In addition to shopping and dining, the Riverwoods also hosts regular events and entertainment for visitors to enjoy. From live music performances to art exhibits, there’s always something happening at this vibrant destination.
So, when in Provo, make sure to carve out some time to shop and dine at the Riverwoods for a memorable experience.
Attend a Performance at the Covey Center for the Arts
When visiting Provo, Utah, be sure to attend a performance at the Covey Center for the Arts. The Covey Center is a vibrant cultural hub that showcases a variety of live performances, including plays, musicals, concerts, and dance shows. It provides an enriching experience for both locals and visitors alike.
Attending a performance at the Covey Center allows you to immerse yourself in the vibrant arts scene of Provo and witness the talent of local artists and performers. The center offers a diverse range of shows throughout the year, ensuring there is something for everyone’s taste.
Whether you’re a fan of theater, music, or dance, the Covey Center has it all. From captivating dramas to enchanting musicals, each performance guarantees to captivate and inspire. The intimate setting of the Center creates an immersive experience, allowing you to connect with the performers on a deeper level.
If you’re in Provo and looking for an evening of cultural entertainment, attending a performance at the Covey Center for the Arts is a must-do. Immerse yourself in the arts, support local talent, and create lasting memories.
What Is the Climate Like in Provo, Utah?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Richard Johnson
What Is the Climate Like in Provo, Utah?
Provo, Utah has a moderate climate with four distinct seasons. Summers in Provo are warm and dry, with average temperatures ranging from 70 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Winters are cold and snowy, with temperatures dropping to 20 degrees Fahrenheit and below. Spring and fall bring milder temperatures, with average highs in the 60s and 70s. Precipitation is fairly evenly distributed throughout the year, with an average annual snowfall of around 48 inches. The climate in Provo is influenced by its location in the Rocky Mountains, which can lead to rapid weather changes and occasional severe storms, including thunderstorms and hail. It’s important to be prepared for varying weather conditions when visiting Provo, Utah.
What Are Some Local Events and Festivals in Provo?
If you’re wondering about some local events and festivals in Provo, there are plenty to enjoy:
- Freedom Festival: Provo’s biggest event, the Freedom Festival, celebrates Independence Day with a parade, fireworks, and concerts.
- Provo Pride Festival: This LGBTQ+ festival features live music, entertainment, food vendors, and a parade to promote inclusivity and equality.
- Rooftop Concert Series: Held during the summer months, the Rooftop Concert Series showcases local musicians and bands performing on the rooftop of Provo Town Square.
- Utah Valley Marathon: Fitness enthusiasts can participate in the annual Utah Valley Marathon, which offers a full marathon, half marathon, and a 5K race.
- Provo’s Pioneer Day: Celebrating the city’s pioneer heritage, this event features a parade, a rodeo, live music, and activities for the whole family.
If you’re looking for a fun and vibrant atmosphere, these local events and festivals in Provo are worth checking out. Immerse yourself in the community spirit and enjoy the diverse range of activities and entertainment they offer!
Are There any Nearby Ski Resorts?
Yes, there are nearby ski resorts in Provo, Utah. Some of the popular ski resorts in the area include:
- Sundance Mountain Resort: Located just 15 miles northeast of Provo, Sundance offers breathtaking views and diverse terrain suitable for skiers of all levels.
- Alta Ski Area: Although not in Provo itself, Alta Ski Area is a renowned ski resort located approximately 45 miles north of Provo. It is known for its deep powder snow and challenging slopes.
- Snowbird: Also situated near Alta Ski Area, Snowbird offers a wide variety of skiing and snowboarding options, including steep chutes and expansive powder fields.
These ski resorts provide excellent opportunities for outdoor winter recreation, whether you’re a beginner or an experienced skier. So, if you’re looking to hit the slopes, you’ll find several nearby options to choose from in the Provo area.
Fun fact: Utah is known as the “Ski Capital of the United States” because it boasts some of the best ski resorts in the country, attracting skiers and snowboarders from around the world.
What Are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Provo?
- Looking for family-friendly activities in Provo? Look no further! Start by visiting the Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum, where you and your family can explore educational exhibits and learn about different animal species, their habitats, and conservation efforts.
- For some outdoor fun, head to Provo Canyon and go hiking. This scenic location offers beautiful trails suitable for families. Enjoy breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, streams, and keep an eye out for local wildlife.
- Another great option is Utah Lake State Park, where you can engage in various outdoor activities that the whole family will love. Swim, boat, fish, or have a delightful picnic by the lake. And if you’re up for it, go camping or hiking in the designated areas.
- For water enthusiasts, the Provo River is a must-visit. Spend a thrilling day engaging in water activities like tubing, kayaking, or canoeing while surrounded by the stunning beauty of the area.
- Take a step back in time by exploring the historic Provo Pioneer Village. Immerse yourself in the fascinating history of the area, visit well-preserved buildings, and even participate in pioneer-themed activities.
What Are Some Affordable Dining Options in Provo?
Provo has a rich culinary history with a diverse range of dining options. From casual eateries to upscale restaurants, there’s something for every budget and taste bud. The city’s dining scene has evolved over the years, offering residents and visitors alike the chance to enjoy affordable and delicious meals. Whether you’re craving Italian, Mexican, or American cuisine, Provo has it all. So, when you’re in town, be sure to explore the affordable dining options and indulge in the flavors that make Provo a food lover’s paradise. What Are Some Affordable Dining Options in Provo?
- Cafe 300: Located on the BYU campus, Cafe 300 offers affordable dining options for students and visitors alike. They serve a variety of sandwiches, salads, and hot entrees.
- Brick Oven: Brick Oven is a popular pizza restaurant in Provo that offers affordable prices. They have a wide selection of pizza flavors and also serve pasta dishes and salads.
- Ricos Tacos El Torito: If you’re looking for affordable Mexican food, Ricos Tacos El Torito is a great choice. They offer delicious tacos, burritos, and other traditional Mexican dishes at a reasonable price.
- Communal: For a unique dining experience, check out Communal. They focus on using locally sourced ingredients to create delicious farm-to-table dishes. While it may be slightly pricier than other options on this list, the quality and taste are worth it.
- Gurus Cafe: Gurus Cafe is a vegetarian and vegan-friendly restaurant that offers affordable and healthy options. They serve dishes like grain bowls, wraps, and smoothies.
Where Can You Stay in Provo?
When visiting Provo, there are several options for accommodations. Where Can You Stay in Provo?
1. Hotels: Provo offers a variety of hotels for travelers, such as the Marriott and Hilton, which provide comfortable rooms and convenient amenities.
2. Bed and Breakfasts: For a more personalized experience, you can stay at one of the charming bed and breakfast establishments in Provo. These offer cozy accommodations and a homemade breakfast.
3. Vacation Rentals: If you prefer the freedom and privacy of a home away from home, there are numerous vacation rentals available in Provo. These range from apartments to entire houses, allowing you to have your own space.
4. Campgrounds: If you enjoy the outdoors, Provo has several campgrounds where you can set up a tent or park an RV. This option is perfect for those who want to immerse themselves in nature.
5. Rejuvenation Centers: Provo also has rejuvenation centers that offer retreat-like experiences, including spa treatments, yoga classes, and peaceful accommodations.
When deciding where to stay in Provo, consider the location, amenities, and your personal preferences. Whether you choose a hotel, bed and breakfast, vacation rental, campground, or rejuvenation center, there are options to suit every traveler’s needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some popular outdoor activities in Provo, Utah?
Provo, Utah offers a variety of outdoor activities. Some popular options include hiking or climbing at Rock Canyon, visiting Bridal Veil Falls, white water rafting on the Provo River, and exploring the Provo River Parkway Trail.
Are there any unique dining options in downtown Provo?
Downtown Provo has over 75 unique, locally-owned eateries. You can try delicious food at hole-in-the-wall restaurants, such as Station 22, enjoy waffles at Waffle Love, have a fine dining experience at Communal, or try southwestern food at Black Sheep Cafe.
What museums can I visit in Provo?
Provo is home to several museums. You can visit the Brigham Young University Museum of Art (MOA) to see classical art, modern creations, and photography. The Museum of Peoples and Cultures showcases artifacts from cultures around the world. The Monte L. Bean Life Science Museum focuses on wildlife and the natural environment.
Where can I find unique experiences in Provo?
If you’re looking for unique experiences, you can visit Evermore Park in Pleasant Grove, which hosts fantasy events throughout the year. You can also make your own soap at The Soap Factory or sing karaoke at Heart and Seoul Karaoke.
What are some popular attractions in Provo for families?
Families can enjoy visiting Provo Pioneer Village, which offers a glimpse into the lifestyle of early Utah Valley pioneers. The North American Museum of Ancient Life at Thanksgiving Point is also a great attraction for families, as well as the Museum of Natural Curiosity, which offers over 400 interactive experiences.
Can I go tubing on the Provo River?
Yes, the Provo River is a popular tubing destination during the summer. You can rent tubes from local companies and enjoy a relaxing float down the river. It’s important to wear a life vest when tubing and follow safety guidelines.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.