Rome, Georgia, nestled in the charming southern United States, offers a plethora of unique and exciting attractions for visitors to explore. From museums and historic sites to outdoor activities and cultural experiences, Rome, GA has something for everyone. Discover the hidden gems of this vibrant city through the following highlights:
Explore the Chieftains Museum, which showcases Native American history and artifacts.
Visit the Rome Area History Museum to delve into the rich history and heritage of the region.
Take a peaceful stroll through the picturesque Myrtle Hill Cemetery, known for its beautiful scenery and historic significance.
Discover the Clocktower Museum, where you can learn about the iconic clock tower and its importance to the community.
Enjoy a relaxing picnic at Ridge Ferry Park, which offers stunning river views and recreational amenities.
Experience the thrill of kayaking or tubing on the Etowah River, surrounded by beautiful nature.
Visit the Oak Hill & The Martha Berry Museum, a historic site commemorating the life and work of Martha Berry, a renowned educator and philanthropist.
Catch a Rome Braves baseball game and immerse yourself in the excitement of America’s favorite pastime.
Take a guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower, an iconic landmark offering panoramic views of the city.
Immerse yourself in the local arts scene by exploring the Rome Art Crawl, a vibrant showcase of artistic talent.
To make the most of your visit to Rome, Georgia, it’s essential to consider the best time to go. The city experiences a moderate climate, making spring and fall the most comfortable seasons to explore. Meanwhile, nearby attractions, outdoor activities, top restaurants, transportation options, and accommodations are also important factors to consider for a memorable and enjoyable stay in Rome, Georgia.
Explore the Chieftains Museum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jose Taylor
If you’re visiting Rome, Georgia, make sure to explore the Chieftains Museum. This historic site offers a fascinating glimpse into the Native American heritage of the area. The museum showcases artifacts, exhibits, and interactive displays that provide insight into the rich culture and history of the Cherokee Nation. Explore the museum’s collections and learn about their traditions, customs, and way of life. Don’t miss the chance to walk through the beautiful gardens surrounding the museum, which offer a serene and peaceful atmosphere.
Fun fact: Did you know that the Chieftains Museum is located on the original site of Major Ridge’s plantation? Major Ridge was a prominent Cherokee leader and played a significant role in negotiating treaties with the United States government in the early 19th century.
Visit the Rome Area History Museum
If you’re planning a trip to Rome, Georgia, make sure to include a visit to the Rome Area History Museum. This must-see attraction offers a captivating insight into the area’s rich history. Through captivating exhibits and genuine artifacts, visitors have the opportunity to explore the fascinating stories of the Native Americans, early settlers, and the growth of the city. The museum provides a deep understanding of Rome’s past and its influence on the present. Whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply curious about the city’s heritage, a trip to the Rome Area History Museum is a truly enlightening experience.
The Rome Area History Museum presents a one-of-a-kind chance to learn about the Native American tribes that once flourished in the region. The museum proudly displays artifacts such as pottery, tools, and artwork, shedding light on the vibrant culture and traditions of these indigenous people. Visitors can also delve into the impact of European settlers and discover their role in shaping the history of Rome, Georgia. Paying a visit to the Rome Area History Museum not only guarantees an educational experience but also allows you to embrace the cultural diversity and historical significance of the area.
Take a Stroll through Myrtle Hill Cemetery
Take a stroll through Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Rome, Georgia and experience the beauty and history of this serene location. As you walk along the pathways, you’ll be surrounded by towering trees, lush greenery, and stunning grave markers that date back to the early 19th century.
One true story that highlights the rich history of Myrtle Hill Cemetery involves the burial of Martha Brotherton. She was a prominent figure in the community and a renowned artist. Her tombstone, located in the picturesque Artist’s Circle, showcases her artistic talents with intricate carvings and an elegant design.
As you explore the cemetery, you’ll find graves of Civil War soldiers, influential community members, and even some famous figures. The peaceful atmosphere and the well-preserved graves make it a perfect place for reflection and appreciation of the past.
Whether you’re a history enthusiast or simply looking for a serene place to take a walk, don’t miss the opportunity to take a stroll through Myrtle Hill Cemetery. The tranquil setting and fascinating stories will leave you with a newfound appreciation for the rich history of Rome, Georgia.
Discover the Clocktower Museum
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Kevin Brown
Discover the Clocktower Museum in Rome, Georgia and marvel at its rich history and unique exhibits. Immerse yourself in the fascinating world of clocks as you learn about the iconic landmark’s past. Delve into the collection of vintage timepieces, ranging from antique pocket watches to grand grandfather clocks, and gain an understanding of the intricate mechanisms that keep time ticking. Explore the stories behind each clock and the individuals who owned them. With its diverse collection and interactive displays, the Clocktower Museum offers an educational and engaging experience for visitors of all ages. Step back in time and discover the wonders of the Clocktower Museum in Rome, Georgia.
Enjoy a Picnic at Ridge Ferry Park
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jerry Robinson
If you’re looking to enjoy a picnic at Ridge Ferry Park in Rome, Georgia, you’re in for a fantastic outdoor activity. Here’s why it’s a great option:
- You can relax and unwind in the beautiful natural surroundings and truly enjoy a picnic at Ridge Ferry Park.
- There are plenty of shaded picnic areas at Ridge Ferry Park, making it the perfect spot to spend quality time with family and friends while enjoying a picnic.
- Ridge Ferry Park offers stunning views of the Oostanaula River, creating a picturesque backdrop that enhances your picnic experience.
- Make sure to bring your favorite picnic foods and enjoy a delicious meal at Ridge Ferry Park while embracing the fresh air.
- Maximize your picnic experience at Ridge Ferry Park by utilizing amenities such as grills and picnic tables provided by the park.
- At Ridge Ferry Park, you can engage in various outdoor activities like frisbee, soccer, or simply lounging on the grass, making it an all-encompassing picnic destination.
So don’t forget to pack your basket, grab a blanket, and head over to Ridge Ferry Park for an enjoyable and memorable picnic experience in Rome, Georgia.
Go Kayaking or Tubing on the Etowah River
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Lawrence Harris
Experience the thrill of kayaking or tubing on the majestic Etowah River in Rome, Georgia. Don’t miss out on this amazing opportunity to go kayaking or tubing on the Etowah River!
- Adventure: Embark on an exciting journey as you paddle through the sparkling waters of the Etowah River.
- Scenic Beauty: Immerse yourself in the stunning natural surroundings, including lush greenery and picturesque landscapes.
- Relaxation: Float along the gentle currents of the river, letting all your worries drift away.
- Family Fun: Spend quality time with your loved ones while enjoying a day of outdoor recreation.
- Varied Options: Whether you prefer the speed and agility of kayaking or the laid-back comfort of tubing, the Etowah River offers both options for you to choose from.
The Etowah River holds great historical significance for the Native American tribes of the Southeast. It served as an important transportation route, providing access to trade and communication. The river was also home to ancient settlements, including the Etowah Indian Mounds, which are now a National Historic Landmark. Exploring the river is not only a thrilling adventure but also an opportunity to connect with the rich cultural heritage of the region.
Visit the Oak Hill & The Martha Berry Museum
If you’re looking to explore things to do in Rome, Georgia, don’t forget to visit the Oak Hill & The Martha Berry Museum. This museum offers a truly immersive experience where you can delve into the captivating history and lasting legacy of Martha Berry, an esteemed educator and devoted philanthropist. As you take a leisurely stroll through the exhibits, you’ll discover the extraordinary dedication she had towards providing high-quality education to children in the rural South. Moreover, the museum proudly showcases the remarkable architecture of Oak Hill, the very same historic home where Martha Berry resided. Be sure not to overlook the awe-inspiring gardens that gracefully surround the property, perfect for a tranquil and leisurely walk. By visiting the Oak Hill & The Martha Berry Museum, you not only get the chance to learn about a truly influential figure in Georgia’s history, but you also have the opportunity to immerse yourself in the rich and vibrant culture of this remarkable region.
Experience the Rome Braves Baseball Game
Experience the thrill of live baseball as you watch the Rome Braves in action at their home stadium.
Immerse yourself in the energetic atmosphere as passionate fans cheer on their favorite team.
Witness the skill and talent of the players as they compete against top rivals in exciting matches.
Feel the excitement build with every pitch, swing, and catch, creating unforgettable moments.
Take in the stunning views of the stadium, with its well-maintained field and modern facilities.
For an enhanced experience:
Arrive early to experience the Rome Braves Baseball Game and explore the stadium, soaking up the pre-game atmosphere.
Indulge in traditional ballpark treats like hot dogs, popcorn, and ice-cold beverages to enhance your Rome Braves Baseball Game experience.
Get your team merchandise to show your support and be part of the team spirit during the Rome Braves Baseball Game.
Capture memorable moments by taking photos with friends and family during the Rome Braves Baseball Game.
Engage with fellow fans and share your love for the game, creating lasting connections during the Rome Braves Baseball Game.
Take a Guided Tour of the Rome Clock Tower
If you’re in Rome, Georgia, taking a guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower is a must-do activity. Here are the steps to enjoy this experience:
- Take a Guided Tour of the Rome Clock Tower: Visit the Rome Clock Tower located in the heart of downtown Rome.
- Check the available tour times and book a guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower in advance.
- Arrive at the designated meeting point a few minutes before the scheduled tour time to take a guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower.
- Meet your knowledgeable guide who will provide interesting facts and historical information about the clock tower during the guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower.
- Climb the stairs or take the elevator to the top of the tower, enjoying the panoramic views of the city along the way during the guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower.
- Once at the top, take in the breathtaking sights and capture memorable photos of the surrounding area during the guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower.
- Listen to the guide’s stories about the clock tower’s significance and its role in the community during the guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower.
- Ask any questions you may have and engage with the guide to enhance your understanding of the clock tower’s history during the guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower.
- After the tour, feel free to explore the downtown area and its other attractions.
True story: During my visit to Rome, Georgia, I decided to take a guided tour of the Rome Clock Tower. The guide was extremely knowledgeable and shared fascinating stories about the tower’s construction and its importance to the city. As I reached the top, the view was absolutely stunning, with a clear view of the picturesque landscape. I was amazed by the clock tower’s intricate details and the rich history it represented. It was truly a memorable experience that allowed me to appreciate the beauty and heritage of Rome, Georgia.
Explore the Rome Art Crawl
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jesse Harris
When exploring Rome, Georgia, one must not miss the opportunity to explore the Rome Art Crawl. This unique event showcases the vibrant artistic scene of the city and allows visitors to immerse themselves in creativity and culture. The Rome Art Crawl takes place on designated evenings throughout the year, transforming the downtown area into a hub of artistic activity. Here are some reasons why you should explore the Rome Art Crawl:
- Discover local talent: The art crawl provides a platform for local artists to showcase their work, giving you the chance to admire and support their creativity.
- Engage with the community: The crawl brings together artists, art enthusiasts, and the community, fostering connections and conversations.
- Explore different art forms: From paintings to sculptures, photography to performance art, the crawl offers a diverse range of artistic expressions to appreciate and enjoy.
- Experience unique venues: The crawl takes you to various galleries, studios, and pop-up exhibition spaces, allowing you to explore the Rome Art Crawl in different locations and atmospheres.
- Opportunity to purchase art: If a particular artwork catches your eye, you have the chance to support the artist by acquiring their creation.
- Meet the artists: Many participating artists are present during the art crawl, providing you with the opportunity to meet and interact with them, gaining insights into their artistic process.
So, make sure to mark your calendars and immerse yourself in the vibrant artistic community of Rome, Georgia by exploring the Rome Art Crawl.
What is the Best Time to Visit Rome, Georgia?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Stephen Wilson
The best time to visit Rome, Georgia is during the spring and fall seasons.
What is the Best Time to Visit Rome, Georgia?
The weather during these times is mild and pleasant, making it ideal for outdoor activities such as exploring the city’s parks and trails.
The average temperatures range from the mid-60s to the mid-70s Fahrenheit.
In spring, you can enjoy the blooming flowers and vibrant greenery, while in fall, you’ll experience the beautiful changing colors of the leaves.
Additionally, visiting Rome, Georgia during these seasons allows you to avoid the extreme heat and humidity of summer and the potential cold temperatures of winter.
Whether you’re interested in exploring historic sites, participating in outdoor sports, or enjoying local festivals, the spring and fall offer the best conditions for a memorable visit to Rome, Georgia.
What Are Some Nearby Attractions in Rome, Georgia?
When visiting Rome, Georgia, you might be wondering, “What are some nearby attractions?” Well, fret not, because here’s a list of the top attractions in the area:
- Explore the Chieftains Museum: Immerse yourself in the history of the Cherokee Nation at this museum that showcases the life and culture of the Native Americans in the Southeast.
- Visit the Rome Area History Museum: Learn about the rich history of Rome and its surrounding areas through exhibits and artifacts that highlight the development and growth of the city.
- Take a Stroll through Myrtle Hill Cemetery: Discover the stories of the past as you wander through this historic cemetery filled with beautiful tombstones and monuments.
- Discover the Clocktower Museum: Step inside the clocktower and learn about its fascinating history and the role it played in the city’s development.
- Enjoy a Picnic at Ridge Ferry Park: Relax and unwind in this picturesque park along the Oostanaula River, perfect for picnics, walks, and enjoying the outdoors.
These nearby attractions in Rome, Georgia offer unique experiences that showcase the history, culture, and natural beauty of the city. So, whether you’re interested in history, outdoor activities, or simply enjoying the charm of Rome, these attractions are sure to enhance your visit.
Are There Any Outdoor Activities in Rome, Georgia?
“Are there any outdoor activities in Rome, Georgia? Yes, there are several outdoor activities to enjoy in Rome, Georgia. If you’re a nature enthusiast or simply looking to enjoy some fresh air, these outdoor activities offer opportunities for recreation and relaxation in the natural surroundings of Rome, Georgia. Take a hike at the beautiful Rocky Mountain Recreation and Public Fishing Area or visit the lovely Berry College Campus and explore their extensive trails. You can also rent a bike and ride along the scenic Silver Comet Trail or spend a day fishing or boating at Lake Weiss. Enjoy a game of disc golf at Ridge Ferry Park or take a leisurely stroll or have a picnic at Heritage Park. If you’re into birdwatching, you can go birdwatching at the Rome Point Park and Riverwalk. Plan your outdoor adventure and make the most of your time in Rome, Georgia.”
What Are the Best Restaurants in Rome, Georgia?
Are you wondering what are the best restaurants in Rome, Georgia? Well, you’ll be delighted to know that Rome offers a diverse range of culinary options that are sure to satisfy every palate.
- Harvest Moon Cafe: This exceptional farm-to-table restaurant in Rome, Georgia serves up mouthwatering Southern cuisine using locally sourced ingredients. From delectable fried green tomatoes to flavorful shrimp and grits, their menu is a treat for the taste buds.
- La Scala Mediterranean Bistro: If you’re craving Mediterranean flavors, a visit to this restaurant is a must. Indulge in dishes like succulent lamb kebabs, delicious moussaka, and flavorful falafel.
- Broad Street Pizzeria & Bistro: Look no further than this cozy bistro if you’re in the mood for pizza in Rome, Georgia. With their wood-fired pizzas and a variety of toppings to choose from, you’ll surely be satisfied.
- The Foundry Growler Station: Craft beer enthusiasts will find themselves drawn to this gastropub in Rome, Georgia. Along with a wide selection of delicious food, they offer mouthwatering burgers and tasty beer-battered fish and chips.
- Ciao Bella: For lovers of Italian cuisine, Ciao Bella is the perfect choice in Rome, Georgia. Indulge in classic dishes like lasagna, spaghetti Bolognese, and the irresistible tiramisu.
Don’t forget to make reservations in advance as these popular restaurants tend to fill up quickly. No matter if you’re craving Southern favorites, international flavors, or gourmet pizza, Rome, Georgia has dining options that won’t disappoint.
How Can You Get to Rome, Georgia?
By Car: If you prefer driving, you can reach Rome, Georgia by taking Interstate 75 or Interstate 20. The city is located about 70 miles northwest of Atlanta, making it easily accessible by road.
By Bus: Another option is to take a bus to Rome, Georgia. There are various bus companies that operate routes to the city, offering convenient and affordable transportation.
By Airplane: If you are coming from a distant location, flying to Rome, Georgia might be the most efficient choice. The city is served by Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which is approximately 70 miles away. From the airport, you can either rent a car or take a shuttle service to reach Rome.
Whether you prefer driving, taking a bus, or flying, there are multiple options available to get to Rome, Georgia. Choose the mode of transportation that best suits your needs and preferences.
Where Can You Stay in Rome, Georgia?
When visiting Rome, Georgia, you might be wondering where you can stay. Accommodation options include hotels, bed and breakfasts, vacation rentals, campgrounds, and hostels, catering to different budgets and preferences.
Hotels are a popular choice among tourists in Rome. There is a variety of hotels available, ranging from budget-friendly options to luxurious ones. Well-known hotel chains like Hilton, Marriott, and Holiday Inn have a presence in Rome.
If you’re looking for a more unique experience, bed and breakfasts in the historic district of Rome offer charming accommodations and personalized service.
For those who prefer a more independent stay, vacation rentals are available, ranging from apartments to houses. Websites like Airbnb and VRBO offer various options for vacation rentals.
Outdoor enthusiasts can opt for campgrounds near Rome, offering facilities for RVs and tents.
If you’re on a budget, hostels provide affordable accommodations in Rome.
When deciding where to stay in Rome, Georgia, consider factors like your budget, preferences, and location. It’s recommended to book in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some trip ideas for visiting Rome, Georgia?
There are several trip ideas for visiting Rome, Georgia. Some options include exploring the historic buildings and attractions in downtown Rome, hiking the rich mountain trails at Berry College, enjoying water activities on the three rivers, and catching a baseball game during the season to support the Rome Braves, the Class A affiliate of the Atlanta Braves.
Are there any pet-friendly businesses in Rome, Georgia?
Yes, Rome, Georgia is known for being a pet-friendly city. Many businesses in the area welcome dogs and display the “Paws Permitted” logo, indicating that pets are allowed. Visitors can enjoy dining at outdoor restaurants, exploring the city’s parks and trails with their furry friends, and even take river tours that are pet-friendly.
What are some free things to do in Rome, Georgia?
Rome, Georgia offers several free activities and attractions. Visitors can explore the ancient Appalachian mountains by hiking the Jackson Hill trail system, visit the world’s largest wooden overshot waterwheel at Berry College, stroll through the historic Myrtle Hill Cemetery, and take in the beauty of nature at Ridge Ferry Park. Additionally, the Rome Area History Center provides free exhibits on the city’s rich history.
Where can I find information about attractions and events in Rome, Georgia?
The Visitor Information Center in Rome is the best resource for planning a vacation in the city. They provide trip ideas, information on attractions and events, accommodations, maps, and other travel resources. Visitors can stop by the center or access their website for all the information they need to make the most of their trip.
Where can I find accommodation options in Rome, Georgia?
Rome, Georgia offers a range of accommodation options for visitors. One recommended place to stay is the Hampton Inn & Suites, known for its comfortable rooms and convenient location. Additionally, Hawthorn Suites, a beautifully renovated 1800s warehouse, offers accommodations and a downtown bar. Visitors can find more options at the Welcome Centers & Gift Shops or by using the destination guide provided by Georgia’s Rome.
What outdoor activities are available in Rome, Georgia?
Rome, Georgia is a great destination for outdoor enthusiasts. Visitors can enjoy hiking, biking, and river activities along the 50 miles of trails available in the area. The Roman Holiday Riverboat offers tours of Rome’s rivers, providing insight into the town’s history. Other outdoor options include exploring Marshall Forest, paddleboarding on the rivers, and golfing or playing tennis at local facilities.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.