Ruidoso, New Mexico, nestled in the southern part of the state, offers a variety of exciting activities and attractions for visitors. From outdoor adventures to cultural experiences, there is something for everyone in this charming mountain town.
If you’re planning a trip to Ruidoso, here are ten must-do activities that are sure to make your visit memorable:
1. Visit the Ruidoso Downs Race Track
2. Explore the Lincoln National Forest
3. Go hiking and mountain biking in the Sierra Blanca Mountains
4. Enjoy outdoor recreation at Ruidoso River
5. Visit Ski Apache Resort for winter sports
6. Take a scenic drive on the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway
7. Discover the Hubbard Museum of the American West
8. Attend the All American Futurity Horse Race
9. Explore the art galleries and shops in Midtown
10. Visit the Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts
To make the most of your trip, it’s important to consider the best time to visit Ruidoso. The town experiences mild weather throughout the year, making it a great destination for outdoor activities. The summer months are popular for hiking and mountain biking, while winter attracts visitors for skiing and snowboarding at Ski Apache Resort.
If you prefer indoor activities, Ruidoso has a variety of options. You can explore the local art scene by visiting galleries or enjoy shopping in Midtown. the town offers many family-friendly activities, including miniature golf, go-karting, and horseback riding.
Throughout the year, Ruidoso hosts festivals and events that showcase the local culture and traditions. From the Ruidoso Art Festival to the Lincoln County Cowboy Symposium, there is no shortage of entertainment for visitors.
For those who want to explore beyond Ruidoso, there are several nearby attractions worth visiting. The beautiful White Sands National Monument and the historic town of Lincoln are just a short drive away, offering additional opportunities for adventure and exploration.
Plan your visit to Ruidoso and immerse yourself in the natural beauty and cultural offerings of this delightful mountain town.
Visit the Ruidoso Downs Race Track
If you’re in Ruidoso, New Mexico, make sure to visit the Ruidoso Downs Race Track.
Experience the thrill of live horse racing and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere.
Watch as skilled jockeys guide their horses to victory and feel the excitement as the crowd cheers on.
The Ruidoso Downs Race Track, a beloved landmark in the area, has a rich history dating back to 1946 when it first opened its doors.
So, don’t miss the opportunity to visit the Ruidoso Downs Race Track during your time in Ruidoso and witness the excitement firsthand.
Explore the Lincoln National Forest
When visiting Ruidoso, New Mexico, one of the must-see attractions is the Lincoln National Forest. If you are an outdoor enthusiast or simply looking to connect with nature, make sure to explore the vast forest covering over 1.1 million acres. This will give you a chance to take a hike or go camping and immerse yourself in the beauty of nature while enjoying breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
- Embark on one of the numerous hiking trails and explore the Lincoln National Forest. This will allow you to fully experience and explore what this picturesque forest has to offer.
- Set up camp and spend a night under the stars in the Lincoln National Forest. By doing so, you can connect with nature firsthand and enjoy the tranquility it provides.
- Don’t forget to keep your eyes open for the diverse wildlife that inhabits the forest as you explore. From deer and elk to various bird species, the Lincoln National Forest offers plenty of opportunities for wildlife watching in their natural habitat.
- Take advantage of the scenic drives through the forest and marvel at the stunning vistas from the comfort of your car. The Lincoln National Forest will take you through majestic forests and scenic overlooks, giving you a memorable experience.
So, make sure to explore the Lincoln National Forest and take in the beauty, serenity, and abundant wildlife it has to offer. This natural oasis will surely create lasting memories during your visit to Ruidoso, New Mexico.
Go Hiking and Mountain Biking in the Sierra Blanca Mountains
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by James Ramirez
To fully experience the beauty of Ruidoso, New Mexico, one must go hiking and mountain biking in the Sierra Blanca Mountains. The Sierra Blanca Mountains offer breathtaking views and exhilarating trails for outdoor enthusiasts. Hiking and mountain biking through these mountains provide an opportunity to explore the diverse flora and fauna of the region. Whether you prefer a leisurely hike or a challenging mountain bike ride, the Sierra Blanca Mountains have something to offer for everyone. The trails cater to all skill levels, from beginners to experienced adventurers. With its stunning landscapes and well-maintained trails, the Sierra Blanca Mountains are a haven for outdoor activities. So, put on your hiking boots or hop on your mountain bike and embark on an unforgettable adventure in the Sierra Blanca Mountains of Ruidoso, New Mexico.
Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at Ruidoso River
Enjoy Outdoor Recreation at Ruidoso River
The Ruidoso River offers various opportunities for outdoor recreation, allowing visitors to enjoy nature and engage in thrilling activities. Explore the River by taking a leisurely walk along its banks, immersing yourself in the tranquil surroundings and enjoying the soothing sounds of the flowing water.
Go Fishing and experience the excellent fishing opportunities that the Ruidoso River is known for. Cast your line and try your luck at catching trout or other fish species that inhabit the river.
Picnic by the River at one of the scenic spots, pack a delicious lunch and relax while enjoying the beautiful views and fresh air.
For a more adventurous experience, try Tubing and Rafting down the Ruidoso River. Feel the rush of the water as you navigate through exhilarating rapids and enjoy the adrenaline-filled adventure.
Explore the Hiking Trails that wind along the Ruidoso River, offering scenic vistas and opportunities to spot local wildlife. Whether you prefer a leisurely stroll or a more challenging hike, these trails cater to all levels of hikers.
Don’t forget to keep an eye out for the diverse wildlife that call the Ruidoso River area home. From birds to small mammals, you may spot a variety of creatures as you indulge in your outdoor activities.
Embrace the natural beauty and exciting outdoor recreation options that the Ruidoso River has to offer. Whether you prefer a peaceful walk or an adrenaline-pumping adventure, there’s something for everyone to enjoy at this picturesque destination.
Visit Ski Apache Resort for Winter Sports
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Henry Lewis
If you’re looking to enjoy winter sports in Ruidoso, New Mexico, a visit to Ski Apache Resort for Winter Sports is a must. Nestled in the breathtaking Sierra Blanca Mountains, Ski Apache offers a variety of thrilling activities for outdoor enthusiasts.
- Hit the slopes: Ski Apache boasts over 55 ski trails, ranging from beginner to expert level. Whether you’re a seasoned skier or a novice, there’s a trail suited for you.
- Take a snowboarding adventure: If skiing isn’t your thing, you can grab a snowboard and tackle the mountain with style.
- Experience the thrill of tubing: For a fun-filled activity, try snow tubing at Ski Apache. Speed down the slopes on specially designed tubes and enjoy an exhilarating ride.
- Enjoy stunning views: Ski Apache offers breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and forests. Take a moment to appreciate the natural beauty.
- Indulge in après-ski activities: After a day of winter sports, unwind at one of the resort’s cozy lodges or enjoy a delicious meal at the on-site restaurants.
Whether you’re an avid skier or simply looking for an exciting winter adventure, a visit to Ski Apache Resort for Winter Sports is sure to satisfy your craving for outdoor thrills.
Take a Scenic Drive on the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway
The Billy the Kid Scenic Byway offers a picturesque journey through the beautiful landscapes of Ruidoso, New Mexico. As you “take a scenic drive” on this byway, you will be immersed in the stunning natural beauty of the area. The byway winds its way through the mountains and valleys, providing breathtaking views at every turn. There are numerous lookout points along the route where you can stop and admire the panoramic vistas. The road itself is well-maintained, ensuring a smooth and pleasant driving experience. So, if you are looking to explore the natural wonders of Ruidoso, be sure to “take a scenic drive” on the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway.
Discover the Hubbard Museum of the American West
Discover the Hubbard Museum of the American West in Ruidoso, New Mexico. This must-visit attraction showcases the rich history and culture of the American West. With an impressive collection of artifacts, exhibits, and artwork, visitors can truly immerse themselves in the fascinating heritage of the region. The museum offers a unique opportunity to discover the stories of pioneers, cowboys, Native Americans, and other iconic figures who shaped the West.
When exploring the Hubbard Museum of the American West, you can expect to see a wide range of exhibits, including stunning Western art, authentic cowboy gear, historic firearms, and Native American artifacts. The interactive displays and informative presentations make the museum experience engaging and educational for visitors of all ages.
To make the most of your visit, consider checking the museum’s website for any special events, temporary exhibits, or guided tours that may enhance your experience. Additionally, be sure to set aside enough time to fully explore the exhibits and take in the rich history and culture on display.
Don’t miss the opportunity to discover the Hubbard Museum of the American West during your visit to Ruidoso, New Mexico. It’s an experience that will immerse you in the captivating tales of the American West.
Attend the All American Futurity Horse Race
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by Jason Torres
Attending the All American Futurity Horse Race is a must for horse racing enthusiasts. Witnessing the top Quarter Horses compete for the largest purse in the sport is an exhilarating experience. The race takes place annually at Ruidoso Downs Race Track in Ruidoso, New Mexico. The thrilling atmosphere, fast-paced action, and skillful jockeys create a spectacle that is unparalleled. The race has a rich history, with past winners going on to have successful careers in the racing industry. Whether you are a seasoned horse racing fan or a newcomer to the sport, attending the All American Futurity Horse Race is a memorable event you won’t want to miss.
Fun Fact: The All American Futurity Horse Race has a prize money of over $3 million, making it one of the richest horse races in the world.
Explore the Art Galleries and Shops in Midtown
When you explore the art scene in Midtown, Ruidoso, don’t miss the opportunity to visit the art galleries and shops that are scattered throughout the area.
- Make sure to explore esteemed art galleries such as The Gallery at Midtown and Artist’s Eye Gallery and Boutique where you can appreciate an extensive range of artistic styles and mediums.
- Take your time to browse through the unique collections of local artists at Art Ruidoso Gallery and Piper’s Opera House, as they showcase a splendid array of paintings, sculptures, jewelry, and ceramics.
- A must-visit spot is Moon Mountain Gallery with its vibrant and eclectic artwork. You’ll be captivated by the New Mexico-inspired creations of local artists that reflect the area’s natural beauty.
- For breathtaking landscape photography prints capturing the true essence of Ruidoso and its surrounding areas, make sure to step into High Country Reflections.
- Additionally, you should explore the various craft and gift shops in Midtown, such as The Old Mill and De La Maria Fine Foods and Gifts. They offer a wide selection of unique, locally-made treasures.
- Maximize your experience by immersing yourself in the artistic atmosphere of Midtown. Attend art events and exhibitions throughout the year, including art walks and live painting demonstrations.
Exploring the art galleries and shops in Midtown will allow you to fully appreciate the creativity and talent of local artists while finding extraordinary pieces that will forever remind you of your wonderful Ruidoso experience.
Visit the Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts
If you’re looking for entertainment in Ruidoso, New Mexico, make sure to visit the Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts. The theater offers a diverse range of performances, including music, dance, and theater shows. The state-of-the-art facility can seat up to 514 people and provides an intimate setting for audience members to enjoy the performances.
Whether you’re a fan of classical music, Broadway shows, or contemporary dance, the Spencer Theater has something for everyone. The venue hosts both local and international performers, ensuring a vibrant and enriching cultural experience for its visitors.
Make sure to check the theater’s schedule for upcoming performances and plan your visit accordingly. The Spencer Theater is committed to providing high-quality entertainment and aims to create memorable experiences for all attendees. So, don’t miss out on the opportunity to enjoy a fantastic show at the Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts in Ruidoso.
What is the Best Time to Visit Ruidoso?
Photo Credits: Anxiousandabroad.Com by George Wilson
The fall season in Ruidoso, New Mexico is the best time to visit. The pleasant weather, with temperatures ranging from 50 to 70 degrees Fahrenheit, makes it perfect for outdoor activities such as hiking, biking, and exploring the town’s beautiful nature trails. In addition, the fall foliage adds an extra touch of beauty to the scenery. Another advantage of visiting during this time is that there are fewer tourist crowds, allowing for a more relaxed and enjoyable experience. Whether you are planning a family vacation or a romantic getaway, Ruidoso in the fall offers the ideal weather and ambiance to fully enjoy everything the town has to offer. So if you’re wondering what the best time to visit Ruidoso is, look no further than the fall season for a memorable and enjoyable trip.
What are Some Indoor Activities in Ruidoso?
Are you wondering what are some indoor activities in Ruidoso? Well, here are plenty of options to enjoy:
- Visit the Hubbard Museum of the American West to explore the rich history and culture of the American West.
- Head to Midtown and explore the art galleries and shops, showcasing local artists and unique crafts.
- Experience a live performance at the Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts, featuring a variety of shows including music, theater, and dance.
- Spend a day at the Ruidoso Downs Race Track, watching exciting horse races and placing bets on your favorite horses.
- Discover the Lincoln National Forest Visitor Center, where you can learn about the diverse wildlife and plants that call the forest home.
- Enjoy a game of bowling or arcade games at Ruidoso Bowling Center, perfect for a fun-filled family outing.
- Have a relaxing day at one of the local spas, treating yourself to a massage or wellness treatment.
- Challenge your friends or family to a game of mini-golf or laser tag at Funtrackers Family Fun Center.
- Escape into the captivating world of virtual reality at VR Zone Ruidoso, where you can immerse yourself in thrilling virtual experiences.
- Indulge in delicious cuisine at the various restaurants and cafes in Ruidoso, savoring local flavors and international dishes.
What are Some Family-Friendly Activities in Ruidoso?
Looking for some family-friendly activities in Ruidoso? You’re in luck! Ruidoso offers an abundance of options for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
- Ready for some excitement? Visit the Ruidoso Downs Race Track and experience the thrill of horse racing. It’s a perfect outing for the whole family.
- For an adventure in nature, explore the Lincoln National Forest. Take a hike or have a picnic surrounded by the beautiful scenery and wildlife.
- If you’re up for some outdoor exercise, head to the Sierra Blanca Mountains for hiking and mountain biking. The stunning views will take your breath away.
- For a relaxing day by the water, Ruidoso River is the place to be. Go fishing, kayaking, or simply unwind by the river.
- In the winter season, make sure to visit Ski Apache Resort for some fun winter sports. Hit the slopes and enjoy skiing or snowboarding with the whole family.
In addition to these exciting activities, there’s more to explore:
- Take a scenic drive on the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway and soak in the picturesque landscapes as you pass through historic areas.
- Immerse yourself in the rich history and culture of the American West at the Hubbard Museum of the American West.
- Browse through the art galleries and shops in Midtown, where you can find unique artwork and souvenirs to take home.
- Don’t miss the chance to catch a show or concert at the Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts. It’s a fantastic venue for quality entertainment for the whole family.
With these diverse activities, you’ll create lasting memories and enjoy quality time together in Ruidoso.
Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso?
- Ruidoso Art and Wine Festival: Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso? This annual event showcases the work of local artists and wineries, offering a unique blend of art, music, and wine tastings.
- Mountain of Blues Festival: Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso? Held in the beautiful setting of KTAOS Solar Center, this festival celebrates the blues genre with live performances from talented artists and delicious food.
- Ruidoso Oktoberfest: Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso? Experience the vibrant atmosphere of this German-inspired festival, complete with traditional music, beer gardens, and tasty bratwurst.
- All-American CowboyFest: Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso? Celebrate the cowboy culture of Ruidoso with rodeo performances, cowboy poetry, live music, and Western-themed activities for the whole family.
- Aspenfest: Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso? This fall festival embraces the changing colors of the aspen trees with a variety of events including a parade, arts and crafts fair, live entertainment, and a chili cook-off.
- Mescalero Apache Ceremonial: Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso? Dive into the rich Native American heritage of the Mescalero Apache tribe with traditional dances, drumming, storytelling, and cultural demonstrations.
Pro-tip: Are There Any Festivals or Events in Ruidoso? It’s always a good idea to check the event schedules and plan your visit to Ruidoso around these exciting festivals and events. They provide a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture and create unforgettable memories.
What are Some Nearby Attractions from Ruidoso?
Looking for some nearby attractions from Ruidoso? Here are a few recommendations:
- Don’t miss the Ruidoso Downs Race Track
- Embark on an adventure at the Lincoln National Forest
- Indulge in hiking and mountain biking in the Sierra Blanca Mountains
- Experience outdoor recreation along the Ruidoso River
- Don’t forget to visit Ski Apache Resort for winter sports
- Take a scenic drive along the Billy the Kid Scenic Byway
- Discover the wonders of the Hubbard Museum of the American West
- Attend the famous All American Futurity Horse Race
- Explore the art galleries and shops in Midtown
- Catch a show at the renowned Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts
These nearby attractions offer a diverse range of activities and experiences for visitors to Ruidoso. Whether you’re into outdoor adventures, cultural attractions, or simply relaxing with art and entertainment, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. So, don’t miss out on these fantastic attractions and make the most of your visit to Ruidoso.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the best things to do in Ruidoso, New Mexico?
1. Visit Lincoln National Forest for activities such as horseback riding, hunting, hiking, and camping.
2. Enjoy family fun at Pillow’s Funtrackers amusement park with go-kart tracks, mini-golf, and bumper boats.
3. Explore the history of railroad and ranching at Carrizozo Museum.
4. Take a scenic drive along the Billy The Kid Scenic Byway Loop to discover attractions like Ruidoso Downs and Fort Stanton.
5. Embark on day trips to Roswell to learn about UFO encounters and White Sands National Park to enjoy stunning dunes.
6. Experience the natural wonders of Carlsbad Caverns National Park with its famous caves and scenic trails.
Where is the Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino located?
The Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino is located at 287 Carrizo Canyon Road, Mescalero, New Mexico, 88340.
What are some points of interest and landmarks in Ruidoso, New Mexico?
1. Lincoln National Forest: A scenic forest with over 200 miles of trails to explore.
2. Grindstone and Alto Lakes: Popular spots for fishing, boating, cycling, and horseback riding.
3. Ruidoso Downs Race Track and Casino: Known for quarter horse racing during the summer.
4. Spencer Theater for the Performing Arts: A renowned cultural attraction in Ruidoso.
5. Noisy Water Winery: Taste award-winning wines and enjoy handmade cheeses.
Where can I find reviews and ratings for attractions in Ruidoso, New Mexico?
You can find reviews and ratings for attractions in Ruidoso, New Mexico on websites such as TripAdvisor. Tripadvisor.com has 3,642 reviews and 1,623 photos of 62 attractions in Ruidoso.
What are some popular entertainment attractions and events in Ruidoso, New Mexico?
1. Eddie Irving & The Classic Swing Band will be performing various classic songs.
2. Rainbow Weekend at Ruidoso Downs Race Track features horse races and stakes.
3. Lost Hiker Brewing Company offers a sip and paint night.
4. Doso Dirtbag’s high-energy show will take place at Downshift Brewing Company.
5. Pat Green, Vicki Lawrence, and Heavy Diamond Ring will be performing in Ruidoso.
Are there any wineries or vineyards in Ruidoso, New Mexico?
Yes, there are wineries and vineyards in Ruidoso, New Mexico. Noisy Water Winery is highly recommended for its selection of wines and handmade cheeses.
Jennifer Ian is a 28-year-old neurotic Jew from New York who overcame her anxiety and embarked on life-altering backpacking trips to 18 different countries, proving that even risk-averse individuals can find joy and therapy in the challenges of travel.